Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hey kids, who wants Dad's old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alchemy, Oct 31, 2008.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Was just reading this thread http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58614 and it kinda struck home with me.

How many else of you would love to have your hot-rodding Dad's old car back. Is it because you grew up in the back seat? First car you ever drove?

I've got MANY fond memories of watching (helping?) him build it. Going to "Rod Runs" in the seventies (remember those, before Goodguys?). It was the first car I ever drove, underage, right before he sold it.

I know where my Dad's car is nowadays, but it's been changed a bit since he sold it. But I'd still like to have it. Not sure I'd give up everything like Rusty would, but maybe most of it. :)

2. 416Ford

416Ford

Not a hot rod but Dad had a corvette shop in Cleveland and had a 67 427 tri power coupe he called his own and ever time some asked him how much will you sell it for he gave them an outrages price of $15,000. That was in 1975 and someone came back with the cash. He loved that car but not enough to turn down the big buck at the time.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Gee, when I was in grade school, my dad had a 38 Plymouth 4dr, a 47 Nash Ambassodor 4dr and a 52 Nash Ambassador 4dr in that order. Anyone wonder why I bought my first car at 15yrs old? His inventory over the years has never set a hot rodders heart aquiver, and I did NOT want him to 'bequeath' me any of the above barges.

"son, ya gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin that Hot.....Rod.....Lincoln"
    (Charlie Ryan)

dj

4. raven

raven

My first car was my one of my dad's hotrods.
    1960 Falcon Ranch (2dr) wagon, red of course and you know what we called it...
    .040 over 289, 10.5 to 1 comp, Engle 3/4 cam (.499 lift) 2.02 valves, Offy 360 intake and a Holley 650 dbl pump backed with a T-10. I bought it from him when I was 12.
    Way too much fun for a daily driver (it was my daily driver for years). Man I wish I still had it or could find it...
    r

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008

5. Tony

Tony

Well, pops was never really a hot rodder, but had a lot of cool car's..including a 51 Merc coupe with a 3/4 flat head..
    But, the one car of his i would LOVE to find and own would be a 63 Impala he bought brand new.
    Never saw it in person, only pics, only heard story's of it from him and his friends.
    Maroon with black gut, 327-300 4 speed bench seat car with dog dish caps and pin whites, sometime's with lancers too.
    He had much cooler cars back then, but for some reason that's the one i want..
    Probably long gone by now....I'll have to replicate it someday :)

6. alchemy

alchemy

That's a good topic for another thread...Dad's first showroom-new car.

I've heard about my Dad's first new car, a maroon '67 Nova SS. He talked about trading it for a station wagon (probably to haul me) and seeing it around town for years as it progressed in it's transformation to a high-schooler's street racer. Jacked up with mags and a fiberglass scoop on the hood. Might be why Dad currently owns two '66-7 Novas now.

7. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

Me not a hot rod but a 1969 roadrunner. He is almost done restoring it.

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I have it. :)

He never got around to finishing it, though. But I spent a bunch of time in the garage with him tinkering with it and sitting in it dreaming of the day we would take our first ride in it.

Still waiting... but now that I have it hopefully I can speed up the timeline.

He bought it in 69...

here it is when I brought it home 2 years ago. He bought the wood kit and started on putting it together... but ended up buying a cheap 35 Ford Pickup (hence my screen name) and that sidelined the 31 Chevy. He decided he needed to give it up and I took it off his hands.

[​IMG]

and here it is in 1978 or so with me behind the wheel

[​IMG]

9. Abomination

Abomination

I've heard of a white Falcon 2-door ranch wagon here locally...

~Jason

10. lowburban

lowburban

Dad wasn't really a hotrodder although he did have a few very mild customs as a kid but my first car was a 48 Anglia he got me for christmas when I was 14.

11. My Dad wasn't a car guy but could do whatever repairs any of the cars needed, it just came naturally to him. I was his helper.

One car he had and sold that I wanted was a 1948 Austin American 2 door. I came home from school one day to see it gone. I asked him where it was and he said, some guy offered him 30 bucks for it so he sold it. It needed front end work anyway. I about cried. I think I was about 14 at the time.

The second was a 1936 Packard 110 5 window coupe. I was just a kid and Pops picked it up from a neighbor for 75 bucks. I'd like to have either one of those today.

12. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

Yea that 49 ford club coupe ive heard so much about, id love to have it, slammed with skirts, shaved handles and trim, paint skeem was like a 55 ford trim down the side, and he just drove off and left it when they moved from arizona back to cali,
    i still wonder if it exists,
    even the story of how he got it is awesome, got it out of a junkyard, when my grandpa won it in a poker game.

well i was lucky enough to get my grandpas old fleetline,
    he annd my dad rebuilt it up in the early 70s and gramps drove it for 8 years before selling it,(before i was born) I found a pic of it when i was 10 and fell in love with it, just so happed the guy my grandpa sold it to was one of my best friends great grandfathers, and he still had it!!! i was 18 and had my first job, so i saved up and payed him payments, 1200 bucks, it was in sad shape but it ran, and i was never happier than the day i picked it up and drove it home, even though the wheel cylinders were so leaky that i just about lost the brakes before i got there,
    ived owned this car almost 10 years now and plan to give it to my son some day,(its still a rolling project, maybe itll be done by then!)

cool thing about it , is the old man never even took it out of my grandpas name, and never re-registered it, so all the old registrations and even the old title was in his name and i had all that stuff still in the glove box and put them up as keep sakes,

its like it was ment to be 20 years later.
    [​IMG]
    pic i found when i was 10 years old.

[​IMG]
    now that i own it.

13. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The one that sticks in my mind is my Dad's first car. It was a 1964 Mercury Comet Cyclone - had a hopped up 289 and a 4-speed. I vaguely remember riding in it. The last time it was driven, I was about 3 or 4 years old and we were taking it to it's final resting place... On my grandparent's farm. It still sits there today and is rusted far beyond saving. At least it's still there for parts, though. Some day I will have one!

I also kind of remember the last ride, on the way to the farm. There's about 5 miles of twisty, hilly, gravel roads to get there. My dad, of course, had to have a little fun before he parked the Comet. We made that last 5 miles pretty quickly and a little sideways :D
    My mom was following us and wasn't too happy when we got there. haha :)

Good thread!

Malcolm

14. Anderson

Anderson

Dad had a '64 F-85 sedan growing up. It was wrecked before I started driving...but senior year we finally got a replacement '64 Cutlass hardtop thats mine. The other "dad's old car" isn't a hot rod either, but dad also had a '67 GTO I'll never forget. 400/th400. His/Hers Dual gate shifter, black interior, white, either setting on Rally I's or II's. He sold it a long time ago to a friend, but I know where it is. I hope by the time I get around to trying to make it mine it wont have rusted to nothing.

15. James427

James427
    BANNED

All you guys that had Dad's that liked cool cars are lucky as hell. My dad was a car geek. I remember vividly trying my best to drag him out of the AMC showroom to keep him from buying the puke green 1973 Matador 4 door sedan. No joke. He went from there to the Buick showroon where I tried my damdest to get him at least into a GS boattail riv or a Centurion 455 convertible. Nope. Got the babyshit beige 4 door post LeSabre with the shit brown interior.

If he had cool cars it was merely by accident or because they were cheap. He had a 59 Plymouth Sedan that was scrapped because a Huricaine blew out all of the windows. He also bought a new 64 Dodge 330 2 door post that could have been cool, but it was a pushbutton six banger. It broke down and was parked in the yard for a few years and I used to sit in it and imagine driving around. It was supposed to be mine but he sold it to a local teen for $100 just as I was turning 15. He knew I wanted it too. Prick. Don't know where I came up with my love of old cars, but it certainly wasn't from dear old dad.

16. kustoms2

kustoms2

I would love to have this one back. I remember hanging out in the garage when my dad built it and riding in it when he got it done. I remember one time when I was riding my minibike he pulled the car out into the front yard so I would not hit it. He forgot it was parked there that night and we woke up in the morning and it was gone. That's right it was stolen, but the good news is he got it back. It was abused and smoking like crazy but he got it back. Man I miss that car, but it's way out of my price range now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  17. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

well its not my dads car but he bought it for his dad. it was a 55 cameo pickup. it still sits in the barn but now my uncle claims it since he still lives at home. would like to get it back and fix it up for my dad to have it back since he originaly bought it....jones

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It never left...

In '65...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In '89...

[​IMG]

This summer in Ohio at the Rock N' Race...

[​IMG]

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Dads car I remember most was a 1964 Polara 426 wedge and a 4 speed. It was the fastest car in Cleveland Tennessee for a lot of years. He gave me a cool one before Cancer got him 1966 Corvette small block 4 speed with both tops he had since 76. I hope to have it back on the road this coming year.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dad had a 41 Ford ragtop when I was born that was said to have the loudest pipes in the county. He swapped that for a 41 Buick fastback, the Buick for a new off the showroom floor 51 Ford two door (not sure if coupe or Sedan). Later after he and mom divorced he had a 53 Olds Super 88 two door Sedan and then a 57 Olds J-2 black four door hardtop. I'd love to have any one of those today especially the 41 or 57.

21. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

My dad has POS's but i think he wants my car though

22. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

My dad had a 46 ford that I have a fews pics of but thats way gone. :-(
    But I do have his car that he really loved. He had a 1970 Porsche 911T. Its the only car he had my entire life. 670,000 miles on it. Its in gorgeous shape and i'll have it until I die.

23. Got back the one I searched a life time for, don't give up 56 @Pond-2.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

24. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

not a rod either, but id kill to get my dads old 66 riviera

25. My Dad bought the Coupe in 1970, while still living at home. It took him 12 years to finish it, he did everything but stitch the interior. (Jim McFall did the interior out of Iowa)

This is the car I grew up with, riding in, polishing, cleaning and now I own it. It's pretty cool, it's the next best thing to having dad here, since he put alot of blood sweat and tears into it. He passed away with cancer in '06
    [​IMG]

26. alchemy

alchemy

Hey 38Chev, that car sure looks different from when it had the aluminum Vette-type wheels on it. Do you still have any of your Dad's other cars? The street-sprinter?

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man the 38 is an awesome ride.

28. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

grew up riding around in the back of this,would love to know where it is now....
    [​IMG]

29. olerascal

olerascal

The ole man wasn't a gear head.
    But he was a dashing young fellow.
    Brand new red '48 Dodge convertible.
    Wooed the new school marm in it.
    Married her.
    Brought baby (moi) home in it.
    Couple more kids followed.
    Traded it in on '54 Chevy Wagon.
    We all wanted the window,
    so traded it in on '58 Ford Wagon with 3rd seat.
    Later came '65 Ford.
    Small blocks in short supply,
    so got the 390 with 3 on tree.
    Learned how to speed shift in that car.
    Wicked 2nd gear scratch.
    But I'd still want the Dodge ragtop...

30. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Yeah...my dad's stock '34 Plymouth coupe (circa 1943) would be great to have back. And, my uncle's lightly-hot-rodded '34 Ford Fordor (circa 1957), too. And, another uncle's pre-World War II hot-rodded '32 Chevy coupe. (Did I just say that??? I want a Chevy???)

But, I have been lucky enough to have gotten several of the family's cars.

1. Great grandfather's '26 Ford T touring, bought new.
    2. Grandfather's '52 Ford F1 pickup (yes, it still has the original flathead V8), bought used in 1953.
    3. Grandmother's '63 Ford Fairlane 500 2-Dr. hardtop.