Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crab Claw Flames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kripfink, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Hey All,
    looking for some inspiration for the "Kripple Kart's" new flame job. Anyone post some shots of early style "Crab Claw" flames to help me get some direction?
    Thanks in advance
    Paul

2. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

Oh, people actually like crab claw flames? I always thought it was just the best job someone could pull off who doesn't really know what their doing.

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

no, that's yosemite sam you're thinking of...

[​IMG]

4. A-Wall

A-Wall

LOL! exactly!

5. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Not sure if I do like 'em,thats why I wanna see some,to clarify what they are in my mind!is there a rule against it or something?And there was me thinking this was a place I could come & learn stuff
    Paul
    BTW,the request still stands if anyone wants to help an ignoramus out.
    thanks again

6. slamdpup

slamdpup

i think they look like a kid drew them or a 1st timer did them ..not my THANG

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ha! lol

8. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

This what you mean by "crab claw"? As opposed to those wimpy little squigglies?;)

Attached Files:

9. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Still like to see some,just for peace of mind,'n' if they really are that bad I'll issue a blanket apology & sit in the corner & think about the consequenses of my actions.School a newbie wouldja?:eek:

10. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

No, those are beautiful compared to what I know as a crab claw.

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

My point exactly,what is considered 'crab claw'thats all I want to know?:confused:

12. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

13. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I've been looking for you, but I'm having a hard time searching for and finding something so ugly. It's like art, you'll know it when you see it. Only in reverse this time.

Edit: check out page 12 of the above google book link. Photo B upper right hand corner.

14. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Here you go straight from the Bill Johnson collection on another post.These are them in their purist form as illustrated by Dean Jeffries,the originator.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Spiffy1937 and 00Mack, thanks a helluva lot. Thats just what I was looking for. I'm a '50's kinda guy, and those Dean Jeffries and Larry Watsons shoebox work look pretty trad to me.
    Paul.

16. Them flames...
    I can dig it.

Jay

17. Rikster

Rikster

Watson... Perhaps not all Crab style.. but they sure can give you some inspiration

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Rikster rocks.Crab Claws they are! the longer ones were referred to as seaweed.

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

When I hear crab claw, I lump them into the same pile. Crab claws arent nearly as bad as seaweed style. They both come from the sea, I'm no that far off...

20. PollockzRodz

PollockzRodz

Crab claws look all right but I dont like them on large surfaces. I think they should sweep out at the end and in different directions at the end of each flame unlike most crab claws. Heres a set close to crab claws I did on my old T-Bucket

Attached Files:

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Yuck! worse than the seaweed flames!

22. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Here's my ugly assed flames. Drawn and painted by me. What would you call them?
    [​IMG]

23. von Dyck

von Dyck

Some crab claws are great - many are not! They are difficult to get the right balance, curves and length. The Kookie Kar got it right. Was it Jeffries or Watson who flamed it?

24. UGLY,Lobucrod!!!! HA HA! just kidding...
    I hate Crab-claw flames. Looks like a "first timer" layed them out. Don't like those "Tribal" flames either. You know,those one with the hooks that go the wrong way? Sorry,but I owe you guys my honest opinion,right!

25. dodgord

dodgord

how do you clean spew off a keyboard?

26. crab claws are nasty, we used to have good laughs about them. I agree that it looks like a first timer did them. Here's a shoebox titus is sectioning that i noticed had them on the door awhile back.

Attached Files:

27. Anderson

Anderson

I can't believe what I'm reading. A total lack of appreciation for crab claws! I love them. I don't know why...maybe because of their appearance in early hot rodding....but there's just something about them.....and seaweed bashing??? This is the HAMB right?? :confused:

28. I agree crab claws have some history, and they look amateur because indeed flames in a paint job was a new idea back then! Buuuuuuuuuuuut this is 2008 and they look like poo.

29. I think they have a place,in history. How it used to be,but I don't think they represent where flames have come to now. I've seen so many jobs I like now,and after seeing a really nice flame job,crab-claws don't look good to me anymore.

30. Anderson

Anderson

Where flames have come to now? The tribal flames that you don't like (neither do I!) and "real fire" are where flames are at now. Chameleon painted flames with airbrushed shadows and highlights. People are drooling over that. The kind of flames generally used on the kinds of cars of interest here are ancient history "now." I love all the above Watson flame jobs just as much as the California Kid. Just a different style, not anything I would call amateur.