Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration OK, I'll admit it, I got the Gasser fever...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry

Now what do I do about it ?!

I'm starting a on my winter re-do (paint job) on my Bel-Air. So today I got started on the take apart stage and I reallty like the look better.

Ok so maybe seeing the MII front ain't the right thing, and it's to low. But the look! I just can't decide if I got the balls to do it or not....

So I thought I'd throw it out there to see what you cats think.

Attached Files:

2. dv8

dv8

It kind of has the "street racer" look now...which is cool...but a straight axle would work as well!....And some flake....and lettering on the sides....and radiused wheel wells, with slicks sticking out a couple of inches on each side....

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Careful here. Terry. If you go for the full gasser treatment, there's almost no going back.
    Think long and hard about it. Gassers are cool, but so are nice drivers.
    Big difference if you are going to be doing any real traveling.
    Take a deep breath, make some notes about all the changes you'd like to see, and think it over...

4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

He can make it so it so he could change it back, it would be a long process to change back but I have seen it done a few time, I know a couple guys that have built them one switched his back already the other one does not make long trips for the obvious reasons.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Isn't that your 'nice weather' daily? That would play a huge part in my decision, if I were considering the same thing...

Nice car, btw.

Malcolm

6. chad

chad

IMO I like the nose down and no front bumper look...It looks tough!!! Like said before, it has that street racer look....

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

8. ratster

ratster

go for it, build a GASSER. i started this one and changed my mind half way into the build and now i wish i built it into a GASSER

[​IMG]

9. pastlane

pastlane

Aside from the scoop I think it looks great. Like the way you stuck the moon tank in there.

10. If a straight axle scares ya - I did a lowered gasser inspired rendering for a guy:

[​IMG]

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I like it, especially with the bumper on. Do what you want, but I think it has mondo potential without too many changes from this starting point. And remember that once you hack it up to make it a gasser, going back is probably prohibitively difficult.

12. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

hmm.. you definitly see less gasser 54's... but I kinda dig them as mild cruizers.. either way I think some cool paint is in order :)

13. tell ya what - it don't have to sit a mile in the air to be a gasser. Get some lionger spring and maybe ball joint spacers and leave the rear alone. there were far more "Real" gassers that didn't sit way up there than those that did. That way you still have a driveable car that you can always turn back . It seems these days that many believe it needs to sit a million miles in the air to be a gasser. I can tell you for a fact that ain't so and I offer up my Anglia that held the B/Gas record at the Original Irwindale in 1970 as proof.
    [​IMG]

14. Terry

Terry

Thanks guys, you've all given me alot to think about.

I like the idea of making a list, and I also know me and Miss Tina do alot of road time, so maybe street racer is the way to go.

BTW Malcom, I'm so jealous over your new roadster!

15. Kurt

Kurt

It can be done very easily without screwing up the car. I have some pics ill dig up of the 53 i had.

16. AD

AD

dude, a chopped 54 gasser? thats would look sick!,, buuut like the others have said,, think about it

17. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Looks good with the tank and without the bumper, maybe just along with a wheel change would give you a better gasser look without going to a straight axle.

18. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Leave the bumper off and drive it. You used to have a T truck to mess with didn't ya? ;)

19. Rusty

Rusty

Leave the suspension alone, maybe try a different wheel combo

Rusty

20. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Hmm, maybe you could get some kind soul on here to photoshop different wheels on if for you??

21. Terry, back away from the Chevy. That is a sweet ride as it sits IMO.

Don't you and your son have some work to do on his car? What's up wid dat?

22. Terry

Terry

LOL! your right Andrew! We have the rear end completely out, as well as the tank. He has been under it cleaning and cleaning. We have a duel rear spring kit from Chassis engineering on the way. Just for fun yesterday he was under scraping mud and fighting cob webs. I banged on the fender, a big clod of 1000 year old dirt came down on him.

I told him "There, your a rodder now!" LOL

I'm like the wheel change idea and no front bumper idea a lot, Thanks again guys for all the great advice!

23. A street gasser with a straight axle can be more then a hand full on the road. A real bear when it comes to handling. Great for straight line though. Looks good the way she is, maybe a wheel change as mentioned and some big and littles. Bit taller spring up front wouldn't hurt the street gasser look.

24. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

There was a guy in high school with a 56 chevy 2 door hardtop, no front bumper, old chevy "box" hood scoop, fender well headers, four speed, nose up in front, skinny Cragar SS wheels on the front, but no straight axle. He drove it every where and it was bad ass. It must have made an impression on me 30 plus years ago. Do it !!! The 56 was pearl white with candy purple flames. I want one.

25. slammed1

slammed1

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008