Register now to get rid of these ads!

is the old race car worth saving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pakkrat, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Leadfoot Apparel

Leadfoot Apparel

i wouldnt crush it but wow thatd be an amazing amout of tiime and money ti have anything useable

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Anybody notice he got it on the trailer without wheels? Posted photos too, lot more than we can say about the Porsche guy. :rolleyes: I's save what bits I could and send the rest off.

3. With a circle track car you can get away with a lot of shady bodywork. That car probably needs another top, but if you poke around you might find one cheap enough to reskin it. You need doors anyhow. A body from a 70s era car that's cut way down would do the job, just blend it to your deck. If it doesn't quite come out right, cover the ugly with bondo. (Look at some of these cars up close, a lot of times the tin is real shitty under the paint and filler). That's all they did back then if they started with a car with a crappy body, clean it up and use filler to make it pretty.

If you really want a challenge, graft a 4-door cowl, front roof and doors on - hammer out as much as you can of the coupe top and cut whatever else you need from the back of the sedan roof. If the seams aren't perfect, just make sure they're low enough to bondo up to get the contour right. Rusty 4-doors are cheap.

Look at it as a learning experience. If the frame and stuff is good, the motor/trans/rearend and going through the front suspension should be no big deal. Again it's a race car - safety first, go fast second, pretty it up last, it's not like a street rod you have to be able to eat off the undercarriage on.

I mean, I picked up a '39 Chevy coupe even though it needs a top skin and one side is bent to hell. It needs another frame anyways, so if I scare one up, I just cut this one apart, transfer the cage over, and then start tacking the body up.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  4. OLLIN

OLLIN

5. You can sure tell the guys that don't have much free time. They want to sand a new piece of metal. Then there's the guy like me who can wait till the metal turns to dust, then wait till it's mined again and buy it back as a new stamping. Ok, this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna beat on it for a little bit and then post a pic of her cleaned up. I do have the pass door, it was saved cause it was on the bottom side. Someone got the drivers side. I was mad cause when I picked it up with my all terrain telescopic forklift ( I own a const. co. ) I forgot to take my camera with me in the woods. I wanted a pic of where it was sitting. Anyway, stuff like the original ignition switch borrowed from a table lamp is intact! All that and only had to cut one tree down to bring her out! Maaco told me there would be a surcharge....

6. Graft whatever you can save onto a four door.

7. A part of racing history. Wait for a cheap parts car with a good front roof section and start splicing shit together. Make your own doors if ya' have to. A lot of those cars had the B pillars cut out so the driver could climb in and out.

8. Looks more like it was a "figure 8" car.Hey, whatever you can't beat out,it can always be some cool yard art.Put it near the road to attract come cool friends.Or put 20s on it and put a for sale sign on it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Toss a flattie in it and drive it, the rest will buff out i think

10. 067chevy

067chevy

Now thats rough.

11. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Check out the old race car in the last Rodder's Journal. It didn't start out much worse than that and it is phenomenal. Good luck, too ambitious for me.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Attached Files:

13. flynj1

flynj1
    from C.B. IOWA

Both these cars started out as bad or worse then yours. The 36 coupe was rolled and hit hard in the ass. I dug the body out of a foot and a half of dirt. The 34 got in a fight with a tornado and lost. The belt line on that body is the same as 1" tubing. You can use the tubing for the belt line and about any door skin under it and remember alot of the cars had the windows opened up anyway. As a mod. you dont even need the cowl. With an open top its easy to make about any top work and still look right. All in all Hell yes build it, race it and save another old car

Attached Files:

14. Dirk35

Dirk35

I could NOT fix that!

15. DO IT OR YOU'RE A PANTY WASTE YELLER GOOD FER NOTHIN CITY BOY WET BEHIND THE EARS POODLYFLICKY!!!!... what? i ran out of words.... lol

JUST FUC#N do it! NOW! or.. go get you a book written by Carl Marx and let it rot.

16. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I don't think it will buff out but, I have been wrong before. If you do try and buff it don't hit it with anything less than 1000 grit paper or you could scratch it and, it may not be recoverable then.

17. Damn, you guys are sure having fun with this one. I know I can fix it, I just don't know if I want to. It's not really that bad, guys. All the bad parts have already rusted away. The driver did climb thru the top. Nick's looking for some pics he had of it. If I see them, I'll probably want to make it look somewhat like that again. I hope he don't find em. Thanks to you guys for the other pics of the other cars. I like those. I aint no city boy neither!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  18. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

If you build it, you should get the Hamb Spirit Award for sure.

Just having fun, it looks really cool to me. I would like to put it on top of my shop roof, with some red lights in it glowing at night.
    Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com

19. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Build the damn car. If you scrap it, ill see that you get some ball pein justice.

Its bad, but not that bad. Cut the rust out, sandblast it, sit back, and rebuild it one panel at a time. It dont gotta be perfect. Hell, its an old racecar for christ sake.

Id take that on in a heart beat!

20. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

How to make Chicken Soup out of chicken shlt!!