Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Mickey !! Thompson Rods AKA I Hate Numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Little Wing, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well still more goodies ,,,I hate that so many things way back when had no numbers.lol.. Found old drag shocks,,wheel spiders,NOS sparkle aluminum rims.
    and boxes of pistons and rods ( all unmarked of course ).
    anywho These Mickey Thompson rods only markings are a T,it is about 8 1/2 inches long and the crank size looks to be. ( see picture as im not really sure how to say that measurement) Without numbers what is teh best way to ID rods?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I have one Mickey Thompson aluminum rod that I got to make into a steering column hanger, and I'd like to know what engine it was made for.

Dave
    http://www.roadsters.com/

Attached Files:

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Get a micrometer and determine rod length (center-to-center), pin size, journal size, and journal width. That should tell you enough to identify the first rod.

The part number on the second one should turn something up.

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

About 6 inches center to center and a 1 inch wrist pin hole.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Big end ID appeares to be around 2.312 Say Two inches three twelve. Common pin size is .990. Measure with your vernier caliper from the big end edge closest to the small end edge. Then add half of the big end diameter and half of the small end diameter and you have center to center lenth. It's a start.

6. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I can't help you with a number but I have a set of those M/T aluminum rods in a sbc. It is a high winding beast!!!!

7. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Big Block Chevys have a rod bearing bore of 2.325 and a pin diameter of .990. Maybe that's what you have. Why don't you spend $20 and get a dial caliper? Lot eaiser to read. Especially for old guys.

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Old TRW engine parts catalog had dimensional section on the rebuilt rods...they aren't in that business anymore, but likely local car parts store has a similar line catalog.