Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 bel air front clip conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HCAT54, Oct 27, 2008.

1. HCAT54

HCAT54
    from Pomona, CA

Hello. I have a 54 Chevy 210 and I want to do a front clip conversion. I know that companies like T.C.I. and Fat Man make them but that's no fun.
    I heard I can also use clips off of s10's, nova's, and camaro's. I just don't know what years. Can any one help?

2. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

www.50chevy.com has alot of good info also look into the JAG XJ6 fronts they are bolt in just as your stock cross member is. But do not over look the factory stuff alot of guys have good luck with the factory suspension and aftermarket disks. Just my .02

3. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

any thing other than a must11 will kill the resale value. if that is of no interest than get out your tape measure. you will find a lot of what you mentioned to wide.

4. Kurt

Kurt

You do realize that in 53 & 54 GM used the corvette suspension in those cars. Just rebuild it and enjoy it.

5. i think 2wd s10's are pretty close to the right width but dont quote me on that, but good luck with the steering box not going straight through the radiator. maybe a 67-69 camaro would be a better fit cause of the rear steer but youll pay way more for one of those than you would most mII kits.

6. HCAT54

HCAT54
    from Pomona, CA

Thanks for all the 411.

7. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yeah, I've heard 54 Chevy fronts work darn nicely.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

IF you're one to worry about "resale" value when you build your car, you're simply in the wrong hobby...!!!

R-

9. wouldnt rule out the jag, i've done it in a 51 olds, & my friend did it in a 50 chevy fastback, worked out great in both applications.

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

theres nothing wrong with the stock set up. unless your planning to rip corners & shit id leave it be. its not too different from modern set-ups. as far as clips go, you could use an 80's 4x4 s10, but you will end up with low 4x4 gears in it. usually whenthese are used folks use the whole frame and not just the front clip

11. roddinron

roddinron

If you do a search, you'll find this to be one of the most asked questions on the HAMB, but I'll add my 2 cents. There's nothing wrong with the design of the stock suspension, but if you want to lower your car and add discs, and if it needs wheel bearings or any other parts, you might as well buy a bolt in M II. Dropped uprights and arms are almost $600 for the stock suspension, wheel bearings $250, disc brakes around another $250, get the picture?
    Nova/camaro subs are too wide.
    Bolt in M II really does make the most sense when you get right down too it, I resisted it too, then I did the math.