Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TbirdGirl, Oct 26, 2008.

1. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

Okay...So, the Buick is so close to being finished mechanically, but the damn thing will not start!

Carb has been rebuilt, as has the fuel pump. But those seem to be working fine.

We set everything (Gear wise) to TDC including the rotor and distributor cap. The car tries to turn over, but doesnt actually do so. The cam was not messed with. The wires and plugs are good.

The previous owner had replaced the points and condenser with the new electric replacements. And it is a straight 8. Not sure how much of a difference in troubleshooting that would make, but figured i would throw it in there.

What do you think the problem is?

Any suggestions would be wonderful. I would like to hear and see this thing at least sputter. hahah.

Thanks!
    xoxo
    Niki

2. you may have it at TDC , but it could be 180 degrees out.....meaning it's set to fire at the TDC of the exhaust stroke , not compression

are you getting any spark?

3. chopped

chopped

She say's it's not turning over. Maybe as simple as battery not charged enough or weak connection. Look for simple first.

4. How long since it was last run?
    Does it turn over with a wrench?
    Have you bench tested the starter to make sure it's good?
    You say it tries to turn over...like how, what does it do?

5. bryan6902

bryan6902

Need clarification, does the engine spin? "Turning over" may not mean the same thing in your part of the country as it does in mine. Hence the various shot in the dark listed above.

6. If it cranks about half a rev and stops, the ign timing may be too far advanced. Pull the cap off the dist and try cranking it. If it spins fine, figure out wihich way the dist shaft rotates inside the cap, then put the cap back on and turn the dist housing that direction a LITTLE. Keep trying a little at a time and see if it helps.

7. duste01

duste01

Does the engine have a ground strap present and making good contact with the frame/ or neg side of battery?

8. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

Okay...lets see. lol. So many questions!

It cranks, does not start. Battery is brand new, right size. Fully charged.
    It does get spark, we checked that last night.
    We have not bench tested the starter yet, but I can hear it wind down when I stop trying to start the car.
    It does turn over with a wrench. The last time it actually ran was about 4 months ago. My fiance had replaced all gaskets on it. It ran fine before then.

And yes, there is a ground strap present. lol

9. R Pope

R Pope

I'd guess you have the timing 180 deg. out. Switch all the wires straight across the cap and try 'er again.

10. so it does actually crank over , just won't start....that's the way i understood it and the reason i answered they way i did in my first post

i'm sure one of these guys can help you , good luck

11. If the starter is 'winding down' after an attempt to start, the Bendix may not be engaging and all you're hearing is the starter motor come up to speed and then wind down when you release the key or starter button.

Not sure what year your Buick is, but my 57 had the starter engage via the throttle pedal.
    Turn on the key, depress the throttle pedal about 1/3, the starter engaged and the engine fired.

(Some cars of the 40's and 50's had the starter engage from a switch beneath the cutch pedal. Floor the clutch pedal hard and the starter engaged.)

Check to see if the engine turns over manually with a socket on the harmonic damper bolt or lever the flywheel with a flywheel turning tool on the flexplate or even a really big screwdriver.

I'm suspicious of point gap as well.
    I've seen noobs and inexperienced guys set the gap while the points rubbing block is on the shallow area of the distributor cam.
    That means the points are always open.

Turn the engine over until the points rubbing block is on the high part of the distributor cam and then set them - usually .014 - .018.

If you have the distributor 180* out of time the engine will usually turn over ok, but will backfire when a start is attempted.

12. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Can you turn it over by hand? If it's hard (but turnable), try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes. My L8 would become difficult to turn over when the oil in the cylinders burned off.

Is it still 6volt or converted to 12?

If it turns by hand, but not by starter, check the grounds and make sure all connections are VERY clean and shiny. Can you hear the starter engage? (try to engage?)

A problem I have from time to time is the flywheel overspins and the teeth on the starter will not engage the flywheel. I have to turn the motor over a bit until it does engage and then all goes well.

That should take care of the turnover issues. Make sure the battery is fully charged if the starter engages and connections are excellently cleaned. If necessary hook two batteries in series for additional starting power.

13. CGkidd

CGkidd

Sounds like the dizzy might be 180 out. I would say pull it and recheck TDC then stab the dizzy back in.

14. Look down the carb and make sure you have a good stream of fuel squirting in while the throttle is being opened. THis is the best way to verify fuel to the carb. If you do, and someone has pumped the hell out of it trying to get it started, you may have fouled the plugs. Pull them out and dry them off if they're wet. Try again with less pumping of the throttle.

15. What may be happining with your car is:

V8's tend to stop in one of four places 90 degrees apart.
    Easily seen on well worn flywheels or flex plates.

A lot of wear in the area where it stops the most.
    Another area that comes in 2nd worst.
    And two areas that aren't too worn at all . . . especially when you compare them to the area where the teeth are worn and/or chipped the most.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  16. TbirdGirl

TbirdGirl
    BANNED

Bunch of great ideas, and a lot to think about. I will run it by the fiance tonight and see what he says. As far as the gaps go, I was looking at that myself last night. Everything is the same as when we purchased it, but who knows. Its old, some things were bound to go wrong lol.

It has been converted to 12 volt, no longer has a generator. It has the Alternator upgrade on it. It does turn by hand, and the starter is working. All connections are good.

As far as the carb goes, it is getting plenty of gas to it. We looked at that yesterday.

We will definitely look into your suggestions. Thank you all so much! I will report back when we get it to turn over and let you know what did it!!

Thanks again!
    xoxo
    Niki

Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  17. nailhead55

nailhead55

fuseabul link? its been so long since I did it on my 55 buick I cant remember, Ill ask someone and get back to you