Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acetylene saftey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordcragar, Oct 26, 2008.

1. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This information and video was posted on Metalmeet.com

I received this video and it reminded me to test my tanks for leaks with soap solution each time I connect a regulator and when getting a new tank from the welding supply.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/gas-boom/1441063229

I have picked up tanks from the welding supply put them in the trailer and when I got home there was the distinct smell of acetylene, good thing opening the door did not cause a static spark,

I know, you are not supposed to transport flammable gas in an enclosed vehicle, How many of us transport a propane tank in the trailer or enclosed truck or worse, the trunk of the car, then use the electric trunk release button to open it? Me too.

There are also brass caps that screw on the tank nipple for backup.

How many of us store acetylene in the shop? Me too.........

I am going to try to store it outside from now on.

If the argon leaks out it costs $, but acetylene can cause a serious situation.

Just something to think about.

Be SAFE!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

3. Addition---keep your regulators turned down below 15 psi. Acetylene flows as a liquid above 15 psi.
    If your acetylene bottle has been lying down, wait for at least 8 hours before you use any.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

wow, and hey i thoguht i read that above 15 psi it can ignite on its own

5. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

0.3 bar - 5psi is the MAXIMUM pressure you need to run acetylene at, no matter how big your nozzle, no matter how thick your steel.

As you say, it can self-ignite or explode INSIDE the bottle or hose if you diffuse it too fast.

It is not sitting inside the bottle, a liquid gas, but is absorbed into some sort of sponge inside the bottle, and releases as you lower the pressure. Same as emptying or filling bottles, it has to be done at a very slow pace.

6. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I don't think those were acetylene bottles. If my high school welding teacher was right, acetylene bottles have a plug that will melt out with heat. It still would cause a pretty big fire, but they won't blow.

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Looked to be a fill plant, a lot of cylinders were there. The lead plug would melt out and burn off the fuel on a few tanks, but with as many as was there, too much acetyene would be available too fast to just burn off. Pretty cool, in a strange way, to watch those flying tanks of fire travel as far as they did, as long as we were watching from the vidio.....I'm wondering what those people in some of those cars and trucks were thinking when the cylinders fell in front of them and burst into fire? Bet there were some pants that needed changing.

A bit scary, really, I am a subdealer for welding tanks. I have about 10 Acetylene tanks strapped together in my shop, about 40' from where I'm sitting right now. Wonder exactly how many would burn off before they start exploding? Guess if a fire starts, I will be running in the other direction. Gene

8. If you're using a rose-bud torch, you should manifold at least two acetylene bottles together to feed it. These things can use such a large volume of gas that you can start drawing the acetone out of the tank if you're only using one bottle. Also on any torch set-up, use check valves in the gas lines both at the torch and at the regulator.

9. I've seen acetylene tanks "leak" that were transported lying down and were ok once they were put upright. I have transported them in the trunk of my car more than I'd care to admit. I have the big junkyard size tank too. Acetylene is a heavy gas and tends to settle low, so it really doesn't disperse like the lighter gases.

With any tank, I carry in a car I always aim it so that if the neck gets broken off it, it won't be coming into the interior. Now the guy in the lane next to me, that's another story. Not that much of a deal with acetylene, but with argon or oxygen, they deserve a little respect.

Bob

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Your teacher is correct. As a young and stupid apprentice I accidentally melted the safety plug in a Prest-o-lite torch (B) bottle. Bright orange sooty flames came burning out the side of the bottle near the valve. We watched it burn until the pressure abated and we snuffed it out after it died down some. It scared the shit out of me! I have a lot more respect for them since then.

The black smoke is probably acetylene.

11. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

That video IS from an acetylene filling area, one bottle started leaking, caught fire, that fire impinged on another bottle which caused it to BLEVE.
    It's used in First Responder Training to teach people not to rush into a scene without knowing the situation.

Always watch the Cops, if they don't fall over, catch fire or blow up you can procede.

12. duste01

duste01

The tanks may have a plug in them, but if you cook them at a high enough temp. they will explode as demonstrated. The taller thinner ones (for those that dont yet know) contain oxygen which ALSO flammable, they go boom too.
    Dad always said the difference between a rocket and a bomb, is that a rocket has an opening at one end for the force to have a direction to go. Makes the space program sound real safe now doesnt it.

13. Volatile chemicals are rated with a UEL (upper explosive limit) and LEL (lower explosive limit ) These are the mixture limits that will explode when combined with air . Too little or too much and they won't blow . Acetylene has one of the widest limit spans , either very little or a whole lot will still blow . This is what makes it dangerous .

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Always check the bottles for leaks when you arrive home (no matter what is in them), before you hook them up, even if you do not intend to use them right away. Argon/CO2 does not only cost money if it leaks, it will displace the air in your shop and suffocate you!

15. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson
    Alliance Vendor

Very good info.Thanks for posting this

16. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Hope you're using the cap on those tanks, Bob?