Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs GALAXIE owners... wheel size? (width) SUPREMES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Oct 25, 2008.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

ive pm'd like 5 galaxie owners here, and havent gotten a response..

so, can someone with experience let me know what size wheels to order today? im gettin the US Wheel supremes.. can i go 14x7 or 14x6?

also, which offset? there is a 2+" backspace, and a 3+" backspace..

car will be bagged, and i cant afford to waste money ordering twice..

THANKS!

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Dude, call me, I can answer some of your questions. :D

I'm running 15x7 OE type chrome wheels with a 4.25" backspacing.

With a 7" wide wheel, I wouldn't go any less than 4" backspacing. Of course, our tire sizes will be a little different (I'm running 225/70r15), so you'll have to take that into account. Also, the front fender design is different from '62-'64, so that makes a difference, too. Maybe I'm not much help on this one :rolleyes::)

Anyways, when I have my car sitting low, almost all the way down, and driving, my front tires will rub very slightly when I turn sharp (parking).

Hope this has helped you some.... Any other questions, just ask!

Malcolm

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

at work so i cant call right now, GAY!!! hahaha... phones here are recorded and shit, and i get in trouble

hmmm... well i can get 14x6 with a 3.5" backspace... the 14x7s have the same backspace.. seems to me 14x7 reverse would work on front, but i want same look all around..

i have 205 70 14 tires so yeah a lil hieght/width diff there too .. i thikn i would be ok with 14x6 3.5" backspace.. i really want someone to tell me i can run 14x6 reverses though hahaha (2.625" backspace)

4. str8enough

str8enough
    from Omaha, NE

On my 63 I have a 7" wide wheel in front with a 4.5" backspacing, sits pretty low, usually only hits the fenders if I'm turning and hit a bump

5. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Im running 15x7 on my 63 and i need 15x6 cause they always rub also need to to cut the fender lip down too

6. richie rebel

richie rebel

i run 15x6 0n the front 15x8 on the rear,63 300 2 dr. post,225.75.15 on front 285.75.15 on rear richie................

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Do you know the backspacing?

8. richie rebel

richie rebel

off hand,no i think the rear is 4in or 4.25, the tire is about 1/2in from the leaf spring and real close to the quarter,thats a big ass tire for that car................

9. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i dont need 8s...

i just want 6s or 7s... just wanna make sure i get as much lip as i can..

for those telling me theirs are "standard", they would be FWD rims if they were standard.. its either 3.5" backspace, 2.6 or so, or 1.8 i think for 14s (those are the reversed)... i would settle on the 14x6 3.5 if i have to, but id love to get that extra 1" almost of lip if i can!

ANYONE out there? i know lots of people have US WHeel supremes on these cars! hahah.. this shouldnt be so hard!

10. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

so... summit tells me the stock wheel is a 14x6 with 3.5" backspace

i could probably go 14x6 with 2.625" backspace

or 14x7 with 3.5" backspace (this takes up a tiny tiny bit more room)

still wanting to figure this out before i buy shit i cant return ahahha

11. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

The best 'look' will be a 14"x7" reverse wheel. It'll fit too. I have chrome reverse 15"x6" OE wheels on my '62 (bagged) with jumbo G-78 tires, and they work fine, after I trimmed the front inner fender lip. They did hit the fender well though, 'cause they're shaped kinda weird. so I took 'em out. A 14"x7" reverse Supreme with a smaller and skinnier tire than mine should work fine. The 14"x7" reverse wheel is the classic wheel size for lowriders since the late 70's.

Here's a 14"x7" reverse Supreme with a 5.20 or 5.60 tire, about the same size as a 205 x14" radial tire.

[​IMG]

12. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

14x7 reversed is like a 1.8" backspace... theres no way i can fit a 5" lip on this car man, sorry and not tryin to offend, just cant see it happening..

i think 14x6 with 2.6 is the way i will have to go and just hope?

13. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

can you actually get a custom offset on these wheels? I was told they offer a few options but as far as a true custom, custom offset it couldnt be done, you pick whatever is close to there offerings, are you finding that to be true or can you get a custom offset?

14. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

didnt even ask about custom... ill use what they have but need to know what backspacing to go with

also, wondering if 14s will clear disks if i go that way... im asuming so

15. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

..."also, wondering if 14s will clear disks if i go that way... im asuming so".

I converted my Galaxy to discs with Fatman dropped spindles, and had the stock 14" wheels on it before I went with the 15" reverse. The calipers cleared the 14" wheels.

However, as a side note...let's see if I can explain this. As I let the air out of the bags to lower the front of the car, the lower (stock) A-arms would swing up in their natural arch, and the outer edge where the lower balljoint is, would push into the surface of the backside of the brake rotors, and binding them pretty hard. In the process putting alot of pressure on the bearings and spindles, and probably bending the rotors. Because my spindles were dropped, this contact / binding occured right at the outer edge of the rotor. So, I had the rotors turned down to a smaller diameter so that the lower A-arm and the rotors wouldn't contact.

I don't know if this problem would occur with stock spindles and a disc brake conversion, but they did with the dropped spindles.

That's what I get for trying to go loooowww!:cool:

16. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I know on my 55 chev when it was converted to disc the 14 inch wheel would not work any longer, didnt bother me as I was planning on going 15's anyways.

total different car but may have a similar outcome?

17. That doesn't look like a galaxie fender to me. I know most Fords, and my 63 Merc, need a 0" offset wheel for the most part. I converted mine to discs in the front by using T-Bird spindles, and I had to bag it because my tries rubbed when they were turned (I cut a couple coils before the bags). Stick with a stock spindle disc conversion so it doesn't push the wheels out too far. I don't think a reversed would fit on a car that is static lowered. With bags you can lift it above the fenderwell.

18. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

well, ordered just now

14x6 with 2.625" backspace... gives me a lil lip, but still leaves an inch of room or so with no modifying shit needed, and leaves room in front (almst 1.5" or more) if i go disk

seems like its the best of both worlds.. only 1/8" off of a 0 offset 14x7, and the same basically as the "standard" 14x7 with 3.6" backspace... and i went 14x6 cause easier to not get the ballooned tire look if i go skinnier on tires, and just takes up less space, i mean whats teh difference,? hahaha..

19. snowman

snowman

Have you got your wheels yet?

20. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

It may or may not help but this is some info I have taken off the net for 63 and 64 gals.

Rims n tires
    "I can give you some info on 17" but not 18". 17x8 on the rear with 4.75" back space. 17x7 on the front with 4.75" back space. My car is dropped 2" and I have not had any rubbing of the tires when I turn....yet.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    The 275/60/15 with 4 1/2" BS is the combo I run. I had the springs re-arched with 1 extra leaf. The top of the guard is level with the top of the rim.
    There should be about 1/2" gap between the tire and the leaf on both sides

Brakes
    <o:p>1974-1979 Cougar
    1974-1978 ford pass
    1977-1979 LTD II
    1974-1976 Montego
    1977-1979 T-Bird
    1974-1976 Torino

All of these cars should interchange with your Galaxie with little or no trouble or modification. Just be sure to grab all the parts from one car so you'll have a matched system. Also any disc brake system from any car in the "galaxie family" other than the ones above should fit however with the car you mentioned you will probably encounter one issue, the steering arm on the disc brakes for later Galaxies (not listed above) including the LTDs and country squires is thicker than the standard Galaxie steering arm so when the tie rod goes through the hole you will be able to install the nut but not the pin. the fix is to grind about 1/16" to 1/8" off of the top of the steering arm. I did this on a pare of brakes I sold and all worked well.

Your 14" rims will probably not fit unless you modify the calipers and/or you use a spacer between the hub of the rotor and the rim and even with a spacer they may not fit I had to do both on my Mustang to get my 14" ETs to fit and the Galaxie probably has bigger brakes. A good rule of thumb but my no means an absolute is you want the rims to be 4" bigger than the rotors.

I don't know about the coil springs "
    </o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>I have no way to verify the statements I hope thy haelp you out though.</o:p>
    <o:p>

</o:p>

21. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I dont think he is trying to imply its a Galaxie (its a '59 Chevy Elco...) but more so to try & show the reversed rim/tire combo he described.

22. Hi Guys...I dont write much on here..but was looking around for wheels too...i ended up putting 14x8 on my 64 Marauder (Galaxie)...mine have a 3in backspace...tire size is 245-60-14,....they dont rub on the front or rear

Attached Files:

23. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Blast from the past, but I've been looking for a 6 in wide supreme with 3.5in backspacing. Where can I find these?

24. Moonlighters

Moonlighters

I just picked up a 64 Galaxie. Trying to order some supremes now. 14x7 or 14x6??