Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch Ford e brake cables

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gir431, Oct 24, 2008.

1. gir431

gir431

I am preparing to put a 9 inch Ford rear end in my 51 Chev panel truck and wonder what one does for e brake cables. Any advice?

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Take a look around for some stock style ford cables that may fit, I am currently looking at some mid 70's F100 cable as they are two seperate cables that are quite short from all accounts. Otherwise you could go for the 1959 style one piece which is also fairly short and may work for you.
    I can get you exact measurements for one of those if you drop me a PM.

LMC Truck Parts have an e-catalog that I plan to look at for starters and they seem well priced. Once you know what part you are happy with you can shop around.

3. upzndownz

upzndownz

lokar has very nice brake cables/look great easy to install//they're a bit pricey like the rest of thier stuff

4. phat rat

phat rat

Do you have a local, friendly NAPA dealer or such. If they will let you look at their catalog they have one with the cable lengths in them. That makes it real handy for figuring what will work.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008

5. unkamort

unkamort

This may or may not help... early 70's Ford vans had the carrier offset to the right, and a ebrake petal on the left, resulting in one long/one short cable. Had a hell of a time matching the short cable (long was TOO long). I'm using a hand brake between the seats. Got it from napa online... one of 3 in stock natonwide came out of a Cleveland warehouse.

6. You may be able to get the heavier Gennie/Lokar style black covered cables at a Diesel truck supply house.

They use pull cables for several things and they're usually bigger and more heavy duty than passenger car stuff.

You can get hood type release wire release cables from them complete with knob.
    They have a twist to lock T-handle cable - throttle? - as well as a round knob cable.
    These work great for trunk release cables and the inner wire diameter can take a large locking device.
    By that mean the piece that connects the wire to the release mechanism.

The piece shown here is home-made, but more than likely the diesel shop carries them.

[​IMG]

If it would help I can mic the E-brake cable and the trunk latch cable to give you an idea of size.
    The E-brake cable does need to be stranded, other than that the cables aren't too far apart in size.

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Every off topic 70s/80s GM product I've put a 9" ford in accepted the car's stock ebrake cables like they were born there. Thus opening up a bunch of platforms as cable donors. good luck

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I used the lokar cables on my 37 chevy p/u with a 8 inch,I got them to work with the original E beake linkage.

9. banginona40

banginona40

I went with the Lokar, worked great !