Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 hydrolic brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourbangerford, Jul 26, 2008.

1. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

Will the brake system from a 40 ford pickup work with the model a hubs to convert to hydrolic brakes fairly simply? Or is there a different year in there that'll work better?
    thanks

2. just take the whole assembly spindles plates hubs drums ans plant them on the a axle

3. fourbangerford

fourbangerford
    from east Tn

what about the rear?

4. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

You need a adapter kit for the front. 2 large rings and inner bearing seal spacer for the front.
    I did this in 58-59, the kit cost $2.50 if I recall, really cheap. The kit is still available (just checked) at Speedway # 916-31928 but now it costs #20 :)
    The rear fits without any adapters but you need to take a large rat-tail file to the backing plates to get the bolts thru the holes .

5. on the rear the mount holes can be redrilled but i not know about the drums. i just swap the whole 40 rear if ya got it

6. What about on a 32 rear end? Will the hydraulic brakes bolt up to those?

Thanks!
    Jay

7. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

The drums fit on the Model A rear axle all the way up thru 48. I used 48 Mercury all around on my 31 A, drove it that way for several years. Changed to an Olds in 1961.
    Keep in mind the rears used a tapered axle/keyway which was the same up thru 48, and they all had torque tube drive shafts.
    The Model A's (28-31) mounted the transverse spring directly over the top of the axle, but starting with the 32 thru 48 it was mounted back behind the axle. If you put a later rear in with the later spring etc the axle will be several inches forward in the wheel well if you use the stock Model A rear crossmember. Unlike a 32 on thru 48 frame the Model A rear crossmember was the back end of the frame. All A's used the same frame be they short roadsters or 4 door sedans or pick-ups.
    Most guys using a old Ted Halibrand quick change use the Model A (or T) type high arched spring to avoid the later 32-->48 interferring with the spur gear extension out back of the quickie.

8. BobF,
    Thank you for the "quick and dirty" on the rear ends for Fords/Merc's. That's getting bookmarked for sure.
    Can you swap the tubes side to side to put the spring in front of the axle?
    Thanks!
    Jay

9. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

The Model A banjo sides have the shackle mount eyes just inside the flange, part of the housing, where as the 32-->48's shackles mount to eyes integral with the rear radius rods.
    Sooo, switching sides wouldn't do any good. I haven't seen it done, but most likely some rear radius rods could be fabricated to accomplish putting the spring in front of the rear.

10. Hmmm... I'm actually using a T frame, but the principle is the same as an A.
    This is going to take some thought... and some Ales. ;)
    Thanks!
    Jay

11. alchemy

alchemy

This isn't true. Only the 35/36 had the hangers as part of the wishbone. All other years had the hangers as part of the axle housing.

And yes, they could be switched side for side to move the spring in front. Just keep the banjo center in the original place.

12. Well, that sounds better. I'm picking up the axle this weekend, so I guess I'll see for my self.
    Thanks for all the help!
    Jay

13. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

I stand corrected, Alchemy is correct I gave you some bum info. Once you get the rear home I'm sure you'll work it out.