Register now to get rid of these ads!

17"donut spare?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old dirt tracker, Oct 20, 2008.

1. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

do they make a 17" donnut spare tire and if so what vehicle. need some narrow tires for some early wire wheels.

2. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think the S-10 vans might have them or newer Mustangs

3. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

s-10 astro vans are 18" spares

4. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

At Rockin' Rods at Bloomington Il. last year, I met a guy who had an early '50's lakes speedster. I was admiring the back tires on his car, I looked at them close They were 16-18 doughnuts with a coarse X tread. I mentioned that the special rear tires must have been expensive. He laughed and said look again. On the sidewall was the "45 mph max speed". As I recall, he said they were from a GM minivan (van). They sure fooled me! Anyway, they are out there, keep looking and good luck.

5. jonski und29

jonski und29

Check '90 to '96 corvettes. I can't remember if there 16 or 17, but they have alot of backspacing. 4 1/2 bolt pattern. 97 up had run-flat tires.

Hope that helps!

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

your gona kill yourself or somebody else.

7. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

years ago one of my race buddies was a test driver for gm at the mesa proving ground. he told me a story about how gm put a donut spare on the right front of a test car and he drove a 8 hr shift at 75 mph and could not blow it out. most of these tires stay in the trunk for 2 or more years before being used and are then low on air when used. i feel safe enough with some on a 2000lb car.

8. chubod

chubod

Check out some late model Grand marquis or Crown Vics I believe that some are aluminum 17" spares.

9. tjm73

tjm73

Mustang Cobra's starting in '94 had 17" mini spares. Regular V6 and GT Mustangs had 15" or 16" spares. Not sure about Crown Vics.

10. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You might feel safe, hell you might even truly BE safe, but if you ever wreck your car, the insurance co. and lawyers are gonna hang your ass from the nearest tree.

I wonder if "real" tires could be mounted on those rims? I'm also looking for a roadworthy narrow spare for the 50 Burb....

11. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

tjm73 thanks for the info.

12. I have a friend that lost his wife to some jackass running 2 dummy tires.
    I don't know how long they had been on the car, longer than they should have.

Really sad, and 2 little girls without a momma.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I bought an '89 Mustang as a driver several years back. As I was driving it home from the used car lot, an uninsured driver ran a redlight & t-boned me. Broke the aftermarket cast wheel on the rear & bent the 8.8" rearend.

I was on a very, very short timeline & a quick trip to a junkyard produced another 8.8" for the rear and I had it in in short order. As I looked at the one spare, one low-profile tire, I knew it was going to destroy the trak-lok on the 7hr, 75mph jaunt I was about to embark on.

My solution? I got another space-saver spare & stuck it on the back. It was squirrelly above 70, so I kept it about there, but had no issues...

I'm not sure I'd want to run those full time though...