Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maximizing your shop space

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman

What are you doing to maximize ?

I just did a complete overhaul in my shop

- Everything went on casters
    - Everything is hooked up to air and or electrical ( no more haul it out and plug it in )
    - Wlding bench got cut down and re-worked to fit mig / plasma
    - POS ground terminals on bench for ground clamps
    - MIG / Plasma got a complete re-work to maximize storage
    - Drill press now in line with bench ( for those long items )
    - Everything also went on extendy hoses

I have literally found myself searching for inches of wall space now.

I can't tell you how nice it is to just fire equipment up without having to run cords / lines... Just flip the switch and go:D

Attached Files:

2. Brian W

Brian W

Very nice and clean! It's amazing how a well organized shop space will greatly reduce frustrations when working. TMcG here on the HAMB is an avid believer of the "fire it up and go" meathod. I can tell you that after spending time in his shop working I really tried to do that in my garage as much as possible. Nicely done Chopperman!

3. Gerg

Gerg

wow it looks great i am doing something similar to mine right now

4. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Thats clean and convenient,

Do I spy a 55 chevy grill on the wall above the window?

If so is it in good shape and you want to get rid of it?

How much.............

I know theirs a bunch of places to buy the now,I was just wondering..........

5. Joe King

Joe King

Well you wanna stop by my place for a couple of days....

Nice job

6. Nice! I enjoy working on my garage almost as much as my cars.

7. marx

marx

Looks great Chopperman! There is nothing like working in a well-planned space; gets so you can reach for stuff without even looking up to do it. I love that. The real, and seemingly endless effort, is just getting to that point. My garage seems to be an endless cycle of fine-tuning. Worth all the effort though.
    I love that steel bench you've built; that sucker is huge! Great work! -marx

8. Weld done Chopperman. Makes sense about everything being plugged in and ready to go.

Nice shop btw!

-Shiny

9. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

whats the big silver and black thing hanging from the ceiling?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  10. Do you want to stop by my place for a couple months.... My shop is beyond organizing. I gave up years ago!!!

11. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

I wish I could get a car in mine. Nice work.

12. bct

bct

old door slabs for shelving and old kitchen cabinets for benches helps....mine gets closer to set up every week .....and evey week i get more work done....go figure

13. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

To maximize I have to a monthly cleaning.
    Amazing the wife had to help last time.
    She says I have PACKRATTIS.
    It looks like I need to clean again.

14. dadsmad

dadsmad

very clean setup especially like the cart for the mig & plasma cutter

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Please come over and help!:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normally you can eat off the floor in my garage but lately with trying to sell stuff and just accumulation it become a mess. Good job on making your own garage ready to go.

16. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Please report to my garage for the application of your skills, as they are DESPERATELY needed!

17. roddinron

roddinron

I really envy people with that ability. I have a friend who's garage is the same width as mine, but I swear it seems WAY wider, just because he knows how to maximize space. Every time I set out to do that I get an area all straightened out and lookin good, then I turn around and realize the pile on the other side of the garage just doubled in size.:eek:

18. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

Any body got a good tip on metal storage? I was thinking of making a couple of short but wide shelves under one of my benches for the short pieces. It seems that every time I need a piece it's at the bottom of the stack and hard to get at ewwhen I need a piece.

19. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

This could be a business for someone (organizing & cleaning up shops, specially commercial shops) there are some real hell holes around, I have been in a lot of auto repair shops that you cannot walk through, and the floors are a grease & oil slick, some shops dont take very much pride in there business.
    Chopperman,you must enjoy going to your shop? I would, looks good man!

20. Joe King

Joe King

try here for all things garage http://garagejournal.com/

21. Pffft! enough room for 8 cars, and one just barely fits with all the shit I have.
    [​IMG]

22. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

Nice job chopperman!! but I was wondering, Do you have enough cord on your welders to pull them out and work in other areas of the shop? I sometimes have to weld outside and at the opposite end of the shop from my welder location.

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Little hint...POLE BARN construction.. put some 2x4's between the 4x6 posts and they make great shelving for spray bombs waxes polishes and oil cans.. Screw em tween the posts and tilt em back some as it helps shit stay in place... I dont have a pic of my garage but i can get one. Its 20 wide and 24 deep so i need to maximize space . Also you can throw a bungee cord in the deal to help keep shit from falling .
    Dave

24. str8axleford

str8axleford

One of my friends went from a 30 by 40 with a lift to a 1 1/2 car g. He had tons of crap. What he did was get some of the HD pallet racking thats 24" deep from Menards, and all his parts are there. He took a piece of countertop and cut it to fit a shelf, and thats his workbench. He sold the lift, but all the rest of the crap is there. Don't use the clear plastic bins, they crack. Get the rubbermaid ones. I am in the works of getting my G in order to get crackin on my car... Been too busy with life and bikes... I miss it so much. Wife is not happy that I will be in the G from now till frost, but she will live.

25. Chopperman

Chopperman

large black thing is a 360 pivot fan

I also have the welder / plasma on a 20' extension for those jobs that require more cord.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
  26. damn this is PERFECT timing for me...I have some time off so Im sheetrocking and insulting my shop along with a total revamp and cleaning!living in tucson I have added a/c so I can work in the summer too!I changed all wall outlets to quadboxs and added a bunch of lights...sure going to help workin on the PieWagon and the roadglide.....and this is the begining....photos down the road.......

27. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

You lucky bastards!
    I have a 'carport'.
    Fuck the 1950s and their terrible designs.. We had a garage that somewhere along the lines between then and now got turned into a living room. Then my mom moved out, it's slowly turning back, carb parts being rebuilt in front of the TV..

28. racer756

racer756

Chopperman is a RULER!!(and neat and organized)..

29. Chopperman

Chopperman

My garage on a BAD day

Attached Files:

30. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Here's a couple of things I do. Since I hate extension cords, I have added 10- 15 ft cords on all my hand held tools like drills and buffers. Pretty much gets me where I want to go. I added the 4 plug box on the front of my small mig welder so I can weld, grind, drill, or whatever. The welder has a 15' cord on it, and I added a 4 plug box on both ends of the work bench. Easy and cheap, just like me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]