Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you drive your old car daily?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stizzealth, May 9, 2008.

1. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i drive either one of my cars to school every day. mostly been driving the 55 for the last 2 weeks because its been nice, and it is cooler. the only time i drive my truck is when the windows are fogged up on the 55 in the morning, or it's raining (no heat, defroster, or wipers on the 55, no heat, or defroster on the truck either, but the wipers work)

i dont know what i'll do for the snow, i guess i'll need to get my snow tires back on the pickup.

2. 93chevy55

93chevy55

im gona be see im 15 and workin on a 55 chevy pu and its gona be my first ride

3. synchro7

synchro7

I drive my 30 coupe everyday that's above 30 deg,(no heater).
    Don't know if it's considered OLD, but my daily to and from work is a 83 T-Bird. It's kind of crazy but this thing averages 22-23 MPG on the highway. With a V-8, AOD, and A/C, at 75/80 mph. I put at least 85, mostly highway, miles on it every day.

4. autobilly

autobilly

I drive my old cars every day, always have. (Except when I rode my old cycles.) They, like all cars, do require maintanance, but are built to last and unlike modern cars, most parts are serviceable/rebuildable. I don't think that unless you're rich, that you could run old cars daily without being able to do your own maintanance and repairs.
    I enjoy the feel, sounds, smells and participation of old cars as well as the style. I believe that these options are no longer available in the 2008 line up!

5. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

when it drivable i drive it everywhere that doesnt require me to get on the freeway. only goes 50. its pretty much stock, engine was upgraded to a 54 PG engine, all else is stock

6. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I plan on it once I work out the carb problem.

Attached Files:

7. JAWS

JAWS

Either this or walk.:D
    [​IMG]

8. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

My 52 chevy 5 window pickup has been my daily from april to november for the past four years.[​IMG]

9. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I drive my 70 Elcamino chopped top custom daily year round here in Denver Colorado,rain,snow,ice storms,heat (with no air),hail or what ever mother nature gives us.I go everywhere in it.I have been driving it for 12 years.I haul about everything in it,rocks,motors,hot rod parts,everything! Wife keeps telling me to get a new truck.I like the old thing.It still gets a lot of attention and thumbs up from people driving those space ship bellybutton cars that they are making huge payments on every month,mine is paid for.

10. rusty48

rusty48

I think I could drive mine every day if I had one of them supplemental podcast! :confused:

11. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

Yes i do drive her daily...I work at the Forney museum of Transportation so its funny to see peoples reaction when i drive her away at the end of the day...i am sure they are thinking who is this Cat who gets to take the muesum cars home...ha ha..

Attached Files:

12. chuckIII

chuckIII

as long as my 58 buick runs i ll drive her

13. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I used to drive the 69 F-100 daily. The 51 F-1 is not finished. I drive an ugly 93 Civic daily for good gas milage

14. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

well i don't drive it anymore due to the premium gas needed and i can't afford to register and insure all my cars but, i did drive it everyday for 4.5 years any weather anywhere. the only car i had at the time. once i retired, i had to have a better car mpg wise, so i bought a pt cruiser. i have been missing driving it though. i have been wanting to put a stock motor in it, so i could drive it again. it got pretty good mpg considering. it has a built 331 chevy, glide and 9 " ford rear with 2.70 gears. no heater(just put on a jacket), drum brakes, all four wheels (a joy to drive in la traffic). been in some hellacious down pours (adapted vw wipers), been in snow ( was great with the big tires plowing the road, everybody following in their fwd cars) and as can be seen, use it to tow my race car.
    [​IMG]

15. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Newest thing I have just turned 40, is that old?

16. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

Yep, I drive mine every day. Not a classic by any means and the "patina" doesn't stop traffic, but she's all mine.

1964 Dodge Dart - 170ci Slant 6, auto

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. SARGE

SARGE

If i could i would but none of my rides need to be pullin my work trailer.

18. The challenge should be, who drives their car every day in SNOW? The So-Cal guys don't impress me at all if they drive their stuff every day. What impresses me are the guys who deal with icey roads and road salt that drive their stuff everyday.....so who actually has only one car, older than dirt and drives it regardless of where they are going and what the conditions are?
    I do not have a vehicle that is registered that is newer than 1965, and drive my old stuff most days, maybe 10,000 miles a year....BUT I own a car lot so winters and real bad weather I will drive a lot car or my shop truck. So is that impressive? Not really.....but those of you who do drive your vintage iron EVERY day through ALL weather, speak up! That means EVERY time you need wheels. Keep your fingers off the keyboard if you use your wife's car on long trips or in bad weather. I want to hear from the guys who really need to take the credit!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove my 48 Chev Pickup daily for almost 15 years before the engine got too tired to be reliable.
    That is with a 4 inch chop, suicide doors, 120 louvers in the hood, lexan windows that didn't roll down and a suspension that would only do justice to a ratrod.

For a couple of periods in that time it was our only running vehicle.

When I still had my 51 Merc and it was still running it served as either my or my wife's daily driver for several years. Camaro subframe, 350 Olds/turbo 350 and all. It was dead on reliable, comfortable and got 17 mpg or better.

I think part of it has to do with how you view your car. Is it a "show" car or a "driver".
    I have friends who won't drive their "streetrods" on a regular basis because they might get them dirty, run up miles or get a rock chip. I know local guys with late model Corvettes who won't open the garage door if there is a cloud in the sky while I have friends in Seattle who have the same model of Corvette as daily drivers 365 days a year rain or shine.

For most of us I think it boils down to how "practical" it is to drive the "Old" car on a daily basis.
    Factor in=
    Weather, some of the cars aren't really set up for the rain or nasty weather. Some areas of the country have winters that destroy any car let alone a vintage car.

Fuel mileage, some of our cars don't get even close enough to decent fuel mileage to be driven to work on a regular basis.

Commute conditions, Some of the cars don't do well in stop and go traffic jambs due to big engines and small radiators. Add to that crazy drivers with no respect for other drivers and their cars.

Security were you park at work, I think for many this is the deciding factor, you aren't affraid to leave the Focus in that lot but you wouldn't leave the 51 Shoebox there for 5 minutes without someone to watch it.

That said my daily at the moment is a 71 GMC and my wife's "new" car is an 88 Cad Deville off Craigslist. No car payments in the past 28 years.

20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

demo derby, i love those darts!! i have had 2 of them i was going to build but had to get rid of them. my brother and i built one from a stocker to an all out drag car back in the '70"s. i always thought they looked more like a dart than the later ones.

21. slammed

slammed

My avaitar till it snow's. I'd really like to live in Dallas from Jan-Mar this winter.........

22. Except for this year, I've always drove my rods daily in almost every kind of weather. Trying not to drive in the snow of course.
    They are cars afther all, they just so happen to be the mode of transportation we enjoy the most.
    I find myself feeling my freest and most relax at the wheel of one of my rods and on the open road.

23. Joe King

Joe King

24. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

I disagree, I think it's harder to have an old ride for a daily driver in the south. Heat and humidity is a constant battle with the motor and cooling system, let alone sitting in Tampa stop and go traffic during the summer with no a/c.

I'd like to see a bigger picture of your avatar, looks cool.

25. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

I totalled my late model but thanks to several HAMBers, "IZZY" is all I've got!
    [​IMG]

26. cretin

cretin

For me its either the 54 chevrolet or my chev-ro-legs. Cheezy I know

27. Yeah, but that can all be changed. Adding A/C is not difficult and upgrading to a large radiator and electric fan is not that expensive these days. I would toss it out there that salt damage is a far tougher problem to overcome than a cooling issue.
    Have you ever driven in an ice or major snow storm? I'll take heat or traffic any day.

I will see if I can round up a larger pic of my car. I did that specifically for my avatar, don't have it big, but I can make another one.

28. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

that's one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.:cool:

29. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

new cars make me feel sick,
    my '54 makes me grin.
    Everyday,everywhere.

30. DIXON

DIXON

Everyday, and it's soon to be for sale!!!

Attached Files: