Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The Photoshop thread to end all Photoshop Threads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pair O' Dice, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Yes! Thanks James D and Bobj49f2! Those are awesome! Now I just need the body straightened out enough to paint it! Both of your works are beyond my wildest dreams, and I hope my car someday looks like one of them!

2. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Can I get a teardrop hood done up in dark grey primer? Maybe solid red rear wheels too? Or a wheel/hood color you think would look better?

[​IMG]

And no, not on the Honda.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks for creating this thread. I tried to get some photoshop help a month or two ago and it fell like a rock. Hoping a few here can help out.

I would like to make a few changes to the convert.

A little lower in front (.5 inch) and about 1 inch in the rear.
    Wheel and tire change:
    Perhaps:
    ETIII's
    Cast center 5 -spokes
    Real Halibrands without KO's
    Black Steel Wheels Skinny whites, chrome lugs.
    Chrome Steel Wheels, Merc Caps, Whitewalls.
    61 Corvette caps, Medium whites
    or your favorite. Give me some ideas.....

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and KsRoddin like this.
  4. K204DR

K204DR
    from Chatt TN

what about dark green, lowered, with chevy rallye colored dually rims? wish i had the photochop skills.
    [​IMG]

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

[​IMG]

6. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

can you give this a try? Would like to see a dark blue with nose stretched a few inches. Going to run ansen wheels.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and DylanHill1931 like this.
  7. This little Rambler was too cool to pass up. A couple inches out of the roof. Turn up the gravity a bit. A little simple paint down the sides. I like the green two tone, just haven't figured out what kind of wheels it needs.

[​IMG]

As far as trying to learn Photoshop in these forums...that might be like trying to describe a spiral staircase with your hands tied behind your back. Having someone watch over your shoulder and walk you thru things would probably work best but isn't the most convenient. But just experimenting with it, a piece at a time, is probably the best way to learn. And in PS, remember that there usually isn't only one right way of doing a particular job. Stick with what you're comfortable doing, especially when you're just getting started.

First off, you don't have to have a $600 version of PS. PS Elements will work fine, for less than $100, as will Corel PaintShop Pro. You may already have useable software for free. Check your install disks for your digital cameras, scanners and printers. Canon used to be pretty good about including ArcSoft Photo Studio software with their equipment. It's pretty basic, but it works just fine for this kind of work.

The best thing you can do is get used to working with layers. That's the real magic part about chopping, dropping and sectioning. Always work with a copy of your pic so you don't do anything permanent to your original. Make a couple duplicate layers of the original photo. Erase or select and discard eveything but the wheels and tires and save this layer. Dupe the original on the next layer up and this time eliminated the wheels and tires and the roof. Do the same thing again but this time eliminate everything but the roof. Make the car body the top layer, then move the wheel layer and the roof layer up or down to get the slammed and chopped look you want.

Layers can be confusing at first, but it can help to think of it in terms of actually working with copies of actual photographs that you've cut into pieces (roof, wheels, body) and then stacking the pieces together in the right order (layers) to get the look you want. Spend some time getting used to this stuff before you start worrying about doing a paint job or adding flames.

8. Probably not what you were after, but this is what I´d do. Zero body mods - just skirts and side windows and a modified roof. Beautiful car BTW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
    chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  9. No time to colour it, but heres a quick bit of rhinoplasty!

[​IMG]

10. Rikster

Rikster

I really like that one James D... very nice.

11. Well thanks Rik!

So thats two votes for a taildragger...:D

12. Rikster

Rikster

Rambler... mild custom... but lots of work in the top. Chopped mildy, shortened into more of a coupe proportions. Rear wheel opening modified.
    I could not find a perfect side view set of 53 Caddy Sombrero hubcaps... so these have to do it untill I do find some better detailed versions.

As it is now...

[​IMG]

Chopped and couped

[​IMG]

White walled...

[​IMG]

13. I love it! /\

Notice how wrong the stocker now looks in comparison.

14. Rikster

Rikster

And the 53-54 with some Watson paneling... not the same car... but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Ditto.. You have a great eye JD.....I would study that picture and really consider building it.:rolleyes:

16. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

17. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

I'll be honest with you guys, I didn't expect a traditionalist forum to be so accepting of a Photoshop thread (let alone one startep by and FNG!), and I'm amazed at the level of skill displayed here. It's great!

Here's a simple request for anyone interested. Put the wheels from this Falcon:
    [​IMG]

On this Cortina:
    [​IMG]

Or maybe even use the front wheels off this. I'd like to see how it looks with exposed lug nuts too, rather than hubcaps, and that's the only good picture I could find in the short time I looked.

Oh, and lower it as well! I did have a go myself, but maybe someone can make it look more realistic.

Thanks!

And maybe a candy red roof too, with just a little bit of flake

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  18. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

James D.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PERFECT,,,,,,,,,WOW!!

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

This is a great thread:

Attached Files:

20. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

I'm really liking that! Funny how sometimes you change your mind a million times, but come right back to an initial idea. A dude at school used to have a white Cortina with red interior. That car is the reason I fell in love with the little Mk2 so much, and I always thought I'd do mine the same. That idea has changed a lot, but now I've fallen in love with the idea of a slighly off white body, red steel rims, and a red flaked roof. If it continues in that direction, I'll probably want the old bench seat back too! I was going to fit later model buckets (in fact I already have, and I've made up some stainless brackets for them too), but now I'm thinking bench seats, trimmed in red too!

Might even have to see if I can find a sunvisor too.

Here was my effort just a bit lower. I didn't bother with shadows either, so it's kind of unrealistic, but oh well.
    [​IMG]

21. JackShaft

JackShaft

Looks very nice, but I have to say the visor is a bit overkill for me. Doesn't do that body style justice I think. But Maybe it's just the roughness of it that takes it down a notch in my mind, can't say for sure.

-Andy

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

make that three votes for the taildragger....

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Hmmm it makes me wonder what you guys would do with my 38...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. Anderson

Anderson

I really hope the owner of this car doesn't mind me messing with it...I saw it in one of the pileup posts but can't find it now. I really liked the concept and wanted to see what it might look like if I'd have done it.

[​IMG]

My version
    [​IMG]

25. hemifarris

hemifarris

Excellent thread.............Mike :)

26. Pair O' Dice

Pair O' Dice

I think it's probably the fact that it's rough. I think if it were painted either white or red, it would look much better. Red might be a bit overkill. Here's another shot of the car from a different angle so you can get a better look at the visor.

[​IMG]

27. Roadsir

Roadsir

I have always had a thing for custom 46-48 Ford coupe taildraggers. And quite honestly never thought of going that route with this car. I could go for that! White top really looks great. Somewhere I just saw a set of skirts for sale......Could be on to something.

28. Can someone change to wheels to Halibrand Sprints. Kepping the same size. Cheers!

Attached Files:

29. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Here's my attempt:

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  30. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Is this what you're looking for?

Attached Files: