Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can't decide what to do now, paint or no paint? Gimme your .02

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onelowponcho, Oct 15, 2008.

1. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

I've got the truck pretty much the way I want it right now, except rear bumper and lower 2" in rear. I just can't decide whether to paint it or not, and if I did what color??? I'd like to bring it down to bare metal and clear coat it, but at this point it's not straight enough. Sooooo I'm considering painting it. It was originally blue and I'm considering flat black with blue bleeding through or white with the blue bleeding through or ????? I like the current patina in area's on it now, but not so much in other areas like the hood. I think what I don't like is all the grey on the passenger side hood, cab, and doors contrasting with the much darker fenders. What would you do to it now? Leave the fuckin thing alone and drive the wheels off it? Straighten the body and bare metal w/ clear coat? Paint it flat black w/ red wheels? Fuck that j/k on that last option. Your expertise please. Any photochoppers out there???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dandingo

Dandingo

I dig the patina on the hood but the rear fenders kill it. Otherwise, I'd say keep it. I'm picturing the truck in a candy apple red metallic. Either that or like a pale yellow/cream. I know, two completely different colors but I think they'd look good. I agree about droppin' it 2" in the rear, though. $.02 in the piggy bank from the Dandingo...

3. chromepig13

chromepig13

That thing is the tits as it sits!...run the wheels off it and be proud!!!

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

paint, and smoothies not ralleys

6. cretin

cretin

I would definetly paint it

and let me add that I mean shiney paint.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lots of shiny paint...

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think one color would be nice..or maybe the running boards one color and the cab and bed another color..

like black and red..or flat black fenders and flat gold body with heavy flake in the gold...somethin like that

9. slepe67

slepe67

paint it....this might sound gay, but, I had afriend with a 51 when we were younger, he painted it ORANGE, tinted windows, chrome steelies, etc...it actually looked bad ass...

10. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I actually like the red fenders in the back. If the whole truck looked like the rear fenders, I think it would look really cool. Kinda different than the norm too. It would look like an old Coca-Cola truck actually...

$0.02

11. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

12. how about drivin the wheels of it until you make up your mind? and lose the rallys 4 some reverse cromies or painted steelies. good luck man i love it.

13. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I like it the way it is, but if you decide to paint it stay away from the flat colors.

I learned my lesson when I had the neighbor back into my Candy Burgundy 51 and instead of dropping $1800 in materials for another glossy job I went with the satin black and I hate it. People say that it looks good and all, but after seeing what it looked like before it was wrecked, it looks like a piece of shit to me.

14. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

I'm listening guys, keep the opinions coming

15. Dirk35

Dirk35

16. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Loose the wheels, leave the paint!

17. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Paint for sure, maybe twotone fenders one color, cab and bedsides/etc another.

Love the truck, hate the rust...er patina.

18. paint. not flat.

19. BiggMike

BiggMike

I say flames or scallops. If your going to paint it dont be lame and do just one color.

MIke

20. BiggMike

BiggMike

Like I said PAINT....This is a 48 chevy I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike

21. impalamark

impalamark

I love real patina and you got some there
    paint it an it's lost in the sea of shiny trucks
    PATINA IS CUSTOM ,ONE OF A KIND PAINT THAT ONLY TIME CAN CREATE
    I say keep it until it stars to endanger the steel
    Mark

22. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

I agree to a point, but the mix matched patina is bothering me. I've been out dickin with it tonight, and I'm considering knocking only the surface rust down and clear coating the truck for a shiny patina. I also think I need to lower the ass 2" before deciding what way to take it. It's only original paint once and I've still got some. The character also plays a part, like my rear right fender I got for free off craigslist, and the left rear fender my buddy sold me cheap, and the running boards from a swap meet w/ the price tag still on them. Just can't decide. Thanks a million for the opinions folks. I'm pretty buzzed up as I write this, better go work some more b/f I'm worthless. Thanks, Wiley

23. 93chevy55

93chevy55

i say leave it like it is looks cool right now and whats the thing on the side of the roof? it looks cool on it

24. Flat black=overdone and beat to death
    Black w/blue bleeding through(phony petina)=overdone and beat to death

Why not rough out the body work and base-coat it some cool metallic color? It's not as much work as a "finished" paint job, but leaps and bounds cooler than the beat to death ideas:(. I love these requests for .02's:cool:. Request some pics of the base-coat idea, and see what you think. I've seen some fairly rough cars look pretty badass like this

25. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Yup, I second that. Except if it really bugs ya, put it in a red oxide primer. That way you're not in the hole on a paint job if you want to run it bare. Personally, I'd paint the thing in a 1 stage, bare metal is a pain in the a$$, not to mention, I think it might look kind of goofy. But then again, if you turned it...Ok, go one color primer til you decide. Good luck and happy driving! :)

26. Base-coat. But the body doesn't necessarily need to be this bitchen to look good/GREAT!

[​IMG]

27. YUMMY!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

28. svo

svo

I say drive it a while as is,. then when you get tired of it like that,..paint it up nicely.

Get the best of both worlds!!!:D

29. iamspencer

iamspencer

paint is dumb, dont hide it it looks sick theres notign else like that and if your tired of people tellign you its a rust bucket tell em to go @$#%^&*