Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone turned down a pile of $$$$ for your car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tankwilson, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 1st saturday out at the local cruise spot I got offered $25, 000 which is way way more than I have in it. But I told him it wasn't going nowhere except home with me. Too much sentimental value in it! Even had a second chance offer from the same guy a week later, turned it down again. Normally it would have been gone but not this toy, it's a keeper!!

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

happens now and again--we have had our 55 Bel Air for 34 years and it got us everywhere thru thick and thin back in the days when we could barely make ends meet--get crazy offers now and again but it's part of the family--goes to my son when we pass on. For the amt. I have in it (built a long time ago)-it has paid for itself many times over as our only means of reliable transportation. Other cars I have come and go but this one stays.

3. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

I'm still waiting

4. Oh how times change....:D at least you won't be buried in it.:eek:

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I really can't understand why someone would be satisfied with a vehicle they did not initially envision, provide sweat and equity and enjoy the fruits and satisfaction of completion.

6. CanyonCarver

CanyonCarver
    from So-Cal

I find business cards under my wipers 4 or 5 times a year for my ’67 Mustang fastback. I'm not selling at any price though, so I never call people back.

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

of been offered trades for cars that are worth ALOT more than mine, but its was my first car, and ill never sell it. i could get another one like it, but its till wouldnt be MY car

8. I've had "offers" of $10K for my Biscayne but usually in the form of a "check". I seriously doubt any of those guys would make good on the money. Sorta pointless since even the spousal unit sez I can't sell it.:cool:

9. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I was overheating one day over in Freeport, and a BMW Salesman came up and offered me $15,000 for my little Shoebox. I told him no, it was my grandfathers and it was mine, and I'll never get rid of it, sorry. He then offered me $25,000, then $30,000. I turned them down both times, and I said Listen, nothing against you dude, I'm just never selling this car. Ever. And he gave me a business card and left.

Go figure.

10. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

A friend of mine with a beautifal hemi powered '32 roadster has a great routine for the standard "Is this car for sale?' gambit.
    He always says "Well yeah, but how would I get Home?
    They usually reply," Well, I can give you a ride home"
    To which he replies, "I don't accept rides from strangers."
    End of discussion.

11. tjm73

tjm73

3 words...... Cash Is King. I have no material possession that I wouldn't sell if "stupid money" was offered.

12. zzford

zzford

I'd sell my car in a heartbeat if the offer was right. In fact, I'd sell just about anything I own. Of course, I've always been a whore.

13. LAROKE

LAROKE

When someone asks about buying my old beatup pickup truck, I try to terminate the offer right away with "My Dad worked on this truck. It might be in a wreck, I might lose it in a hurricane, but Bill Gates doesn't have enough money to buy it."

I would trade it for another day with my old man.

14. NoPaint

NoPaint

With the economy where its at I am hoping someone is dumb enough to just randomly make me an offer on the street for my car. I would take it in a heartbeat!

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

:D

[​IMG]

I have turned down some " stupid money " offers on my two Deuces ... from folks that I know could back up their offers.

I was at a cruise in at McDonalds a few years ago with my as found 32 3W and HOTRODPRIMER saw me almost have to beat a fellow off ... offering BIG STUPID money ( and he has the $$$ ) .

[​IMG]

When at the Charlotte GoodGuys event last year ... I had two fellows get in a bidding war for the coupe and it was not even for sale. :confused:

[​IMG]

No one has tried to buy it lately because it has been sort of hidden away ... but I imagine I will get a few offers for it when it is finished

[​IMG]

Does not really matter ... as they are not for sale ... but I guess REAL STUPID money ... like twice their market value would get my attention :eek:

16. iamspencer

iamspencer

i live in the center of a real rual town and you can see my project 54 chevy from the road, people leave notes all the time beggign to buy it
    i never consider the offers because its the car ive alwasy wanted and finnaily im building it to keep for ever

17. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I have NEVER EVER turned down a reasonable or close offer and I NEVER will!!!!

18. Abomination

Abomination

You could buy a house for that!

~Jason

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I didn't know this was an old thread from 2006! Hahaha, at least I am consistant! :D :D

20. Kurt

Kurt

Had good offers when it wasn't for sale. Now that i need to sell i cant even get an offer on it.

21. Everyting is for sale. I have regretted selling some and not regretted selling others. I might get to a point some day that the stable is stable and nothiing is for sale, but I doubt it.

22. Brandi

Brandi

Yeah - all that stuff.

There's cars I've had a little trouble selling, because of sentimental stuff, but I keep track of where they are just in case I feel the need to try to buy it back later on.

23. impalamark

impalamark

Yes owned a 62 impala convertible for 26 years {see avatar}
    and finally sold it for good money and am sorry every single day for having done it
    but no choice at the time
    got offers every time I took it out

MArk

24. I wouldn't say a "pile" of money,but a guy offered me 50k for my Merc ,last year at the Brian Setzer concert. Wouldn't leave me alone!!!
    Been offered quite a few trades though...

25. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

its the right one... I lost the left one on Live Wire

26. FUCK! That's $99 profit....

27. I've had my '40 Chevy convert for a few months shy of 30 years. Been a good old car and it's carried me, my wife and my 3 sons around for 156,000+ miles. Had a few good/crazy offers over the years but I guess I'm not done with it yet. On the 3rd rebuild now, and looking forward to more miles next year. I've had a lot of hot rods but this old girl still pleases me.

Now, if someone wanted to offer me even slightly crazy money on my track roadster pickup we might work something out.....

Charlie

28. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

my father had a guy offer him $135,000 for our '51 Ford Woody the last show it was at, but all the guy wanted it for was to take it and flip it at Barret Jackson. this car is a 1000 point show car and has won the Dearborn twice. The next time it will be judged its going for the Grand National Award with the AACA and then its to Pebble Beach for the concourse. dad only shows it with the AACA and the V8 Ford Club meets, and he had it at the national convention for the 49-51 Ford and Mercs. other than that it lives in the garage under the car cover.

thats why he likes my hot rods because we can take them out and enjoy them instead of pushing it from the garage to the trailer. hopefully we will be building him a hot rod this winter out of his 51 coupe he has in the back yard.

29. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I had a guy in a Porche 930 follow me a while back, offered good money when I stopped. I just couldn't think of a reason to sell.

I think stupid cash may be thinner on the ground for a while, and I'm glad.

30. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

We turn down a real good offer on our 57 Corvette. The Wife says "you like to drive it and I like to ride in it" so we kept it.