Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone used of these things before??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CJ Steak, Oct 15, 2008.

1. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Yes sir, that's been covered already. :)

2. traditionalrod

traditionalrod
    from Canton SD

I can only imagine the fun you could have one of these. I searched google for these and their is a company that still makes them. I they even have a video on how it works.
    http://www.thestickler.com/
    Thanks for enlightening me on this weird tool.

3. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Because i've never seen one before, and a lot of people on this board have seen some really odd ball stuff and could answer my question. Leave it to a group of folks like these to know what the hell this thing was. haha...

4. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Being a cityboy I still can't really imagine how these things work without some kind of log-holdingfixture.
    How would you keep the log from spinning? Do you clamp it down or something?
    The friction of the screw-action would increase with every turn as more metal enters the log. I can't see one just holding the log steady while the screw enters it.
    Does one use grease on the screw?

I think I would prefer the old axe and wedge-method of splitting logs.

5. shock

shock

Sorry just a little premature-post-ulation I guess, it might be caused by the beer.:D

6. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

7. JokerJ

JokerJ
    from Hobergs

8. Black Primer

Black Primer

I have sore back just looking at that thing!

9. mailwagonman

mailwagonman

saw one that had a plate with two rollers that sat on the ground. the cone was pulled with a chain. You pulled up on the rollers and put the vehicle in gear. The fellow had a limited slip rear and a straight shift trans. When he started splitting his log, his truck took off and hit a tree. I got to fix his truck and he gave me the "splitter" and said to junk it cause it was bad news.

JR Rhodes

10. shock

shock

Ok its raining here......I'm bored......I need a video of this thing in action......maybee from one of those pre NASCAR race campground parties.

11. impalamark

impalamark

yea looks like a guaranteed trip to the E.R. to me

wonder why they don't make 'em any more

something about that liability insurance policy the manufacturer couldn't afford to pay any more

12. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Well I'll be DAMNED. Not a pretty split... but PTO is the way to go with this thing. It's a little less dramatic than I thought....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5Yd-9ymtk

13. dvmnorthwest

dvmnorthwest

Not trying to be a dick, but as stated already in the thread, they DO still make these. If you follow the company's link posted by traditionalrod there is a video of how they work. Have you watched it? Does it look that unsafe? I'd bet most of us on here have done something more dangerous in the last 12 hours.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Wow Crazy man..thats cool.
    I would have never thought that would work so smoothly

I think using it on a car is strange and taking risk on your rear quarter panel..but i can see using it on a tractor PTO

15. shock

shock

Ok now it makes sense...........and I want one.:)

16. barney rubble

barney rubble

About 30 years ago a local guy was using one of these hooked to the PTO on a tractor. I'm sure alcohol was involved. He got his coat sleeves hung on the screw and pinched both arms off above the elbows.:eek::eek::eek:

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

That would've been a sight to see, and a great story to repeat everytime someone asked you how it happened. I would just make somethin' up... "I was fightin' this bear, bare handed... and well..."

A farmer close to my parents ranch got his shirt stuck in an old square bailer and sucked him in... wasn't pretty... and he wasn't drunk. Farm and Logging accidents are some of the ugliest.

18. barney rubble

barney rubble

They took this guy to Louisville and sewed them back on. I don't know how well they worked or if they took.

19. 61TBird

61TBird

Ahhhh...The Mother Earth News...It's also known as the "Hippie Bible".

20. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Hey, I remember that now that you mention it... Happened back in '79 or '80. The reason I remember it is cuz our neighbor had one. We watched the story on the news, and the next day my Dad was discussing the incident with said neighbor.

21. i do recall being with my grandfather making a deal for one of these units from a neighbor and changing his mind after my uncle pointed out that it wasn't covered in red paint!

22. barney rubble

barney rubble

Yep that would be about the time frame. The guy was from Ky but I live on the river and can see Ky out the back door.