Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need to apologise to Hot Rod Dave

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cosmo, Oct 15, 2008.

1. I posted on here back in late June about a Chevy TBI that I wanted to give away.
    I was shamed into agreeing to ship it, which I did not want to do at first.
    After four months, I realise I will not ship this item. It weighs too much, is too large and heavy, and I don't have the resources.
    And Hot Rod Dave thought he would be the recipient, but I simply cannot ship this.
    I apologise to him.
    Back to the original plan: give it away, or bin it.
    Please do not ask me to ship this or do anything other than drive up and take it away. True, I felt it was worth saving, but things in my life have gotten a bit out of control, and I now need to simply get rid of a lot of stuff.
    I live in South Elgin, Illinois, and can be reached on 312 310 6993.
    The original posting:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275006&highlight=cosmo
    thank you,
    Cosmo

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I hope 40studedud doesnt see this again.

He can be a real buzz kill. Free engine.... you pick it up... what's the problem???

I may know someone. I'll PM if I do.

3. Please, it is just the complete TBI, not an engine. manifold up, and all wiring, sensors (possibly not the knock sensor) and computers. There might even be spares in the boxes, it's been a long time since I looked.
    Cosmo

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

after looking at the other thread this should be good... I really dont understand why you wont box it and ship it if someone else is paying the freight ? To me that sounds like just plain laziness on your end... Maybe you should just concentrate on your life then get back with us...
    Dave

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Bummer this wasn't posted last week as there were LOTS of us from Michigan passing thru your area on the way home from the PileUp and would have been more then willing to drop it off at Dave's in Ypsi on the way home.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

That's a GREAT OFFER - I hope someone in need gets it.

7. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Dayum you can't give shit away without people trying to shame you or change your terms of FREE.

Cosmo, some of us respect the term FREE. Thanks for trying even if it's not working out so hot.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I feel for you. I hate trying to sell stuff and dealing with all the knuckleheads and dumb questions. Then again, sometimes it is a lot harder to just give something away. Maybe charge $100 for it with "free" packaging and strap it to a pallet and let the buyer deal with all the shipping arrangements.

Try your local Craigslist under free stuff or auto parts with free in the headline. You would be amazed at how many people will instantly want it. But most will still want you to deliver it too (for free of course) or show up with a Yugo to haul it and ask if you could load it in for them.

Thanks for trying though and don't feel bad. Good luck!

9. Muttley

Muttley

10. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

hot rod dave lives in ypsi? i might be able to come up with a chevy tbi for him. got a customer scrapping a chevy truck with one. if i can talk him out of it dave can have that one.

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

cosmo may be running into hazmat handling charges with the shipping, and those get expensive quick. They hear 'used fuel XXxXXX' and instantly the hazmat forms come out.

12. I sent a complete intake (iron) and carb to Canada for about $55 last year. I didn't tell them what was in the box. Priced out just the same intake this year and it was around $40 coast to coast within the US.

Now I have a TBI on my truck and I had a loose aluminum SBC intake floating around a while back, so I have an idea size and weight wise what this should be. I understand the idea behind free and wanting to get rid of it, but if the guy is willing to throw some bucks at you, why is it so hard to go to the grocery store, or Burger King, get a big box, wad up old plastic grocery bags or newspaper across the bottom, chuck it in there, put another box over the top of the TBI, and fill it on up with the last 4 months worth of bags or couple weeks of newspaper?

Depending on how far it has to be shipped I don't see where it's going to be much over $50, maybe less, UPS and FedEx you can go to their websites, enter the dimensions and weight of the box and get a total on the spot. They're going to hit you for oversize on it, the weight may not matter that much. But I just sent two early headlights from NY to MD for about $18 - the box they went in wasn't much smaller than you'd need for the entire TBI setup.

So you have the guy pay the total, get something for your time to pack it, and off it goes. A BK Small Cold Cups box would probably do it, cut it down a little if it's too tall.

And I'll admit I don't know what the original deal was - it would be nuts to agree to ship it for free, even if it was cheap like $20 or so. I wouldn't ship it unless the money was in hand, either.

But otherwise, put the thing on Craigslist for $25 and I'm sure it will be gone in less than a week. The EGR is about $75 to replace (for a good one) all alone, not to mention injectors or any of the other sensors.

13. hotrod34

hotrod34

Where are you in S.E?

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

engine... tbi... its still free and he's still a jag for making you look like the bad guy.

15. What used to be the south side, before they made the cornfield into houses. The OTHER side of Spring St.
    Oh, yeah, west of the river. On Trenton.
    Cosmo

16. Thank you for trying to shame me once again. I'm glad your life is working out. Now try to understand that not everybody has it so good, and appreciate that I HAVE'NT binned it, and am doing my best to get this to someone who can use it.

As to Craigslist, well, the locals, upon hearing something is free, will contact you, make you set it aside, then never show. Meanwhile, as a decent human, you've told everybody else that it's been taken. And six months later, you still have it.

To, me, free means that I really want to bin it, but feel that someone could use it, and that's really as far as I want to work on it. Certainly being abused because I won't do what I said I wouldn't do is above and beyond the call.

But thanks for the cards and insults.....

Cosmo

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

cosmo is right. it was free, so why does he need the hassle. let it go Dave.

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

RIGHT! Wish I could use it. I'd drive up there, buy you a beer and take it off your hands!

19. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

ya ill let it go ... up yours .

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I seen it...and whaddya mean I can be a real buzz-kill...???

I just stated the obvious...but it now appears the man has more problems than he can handle...so it's all good...!!!

Someone go pick it up before he trashes it...

R-

21. volken65

volken65

things arn't always as easy as people would like it to be...

to me, if i get something for free, it should be me who has to bend over backwards to recive the item... not the other way around.

if someone nearby needs it, go pick it up and take the man a beer... at least.

22. 5window

5window

Yeah, apparently that would be from one ass to another. It's free,the man doesn't want it and he doesn't want the hassle. If someone wants it, then the hassle should be on their end. Period.

23. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I really try hard to avoid the drama posts but... I agree with what was said in the quote above me. If it's free, the recipient should be bending over backwards. Beer is a must too. If it's too much hassle, just throw the damn intake out. :D

I can't believe that a guy is giving away a free part and is getting crapped on. Way to motivate others wanting to give stuff away rather than junk it or sell it.

24. Jaker

Jaker

what does any of this have to do with traditional rods and customs!?

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

careful Dave, your true colors are showing through

26. Larry T

Larry T

I've got to admit, if I had something that I was trying to give away and caught a bunch of flack over it, I'd probably just deep six it and be done with it. No one would be any worse off than before. Gone is gone and if you don't want it bad enough to figure out some way of getting it, then you probably don't need it.