Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cheap shot?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chili Phil, Oct 14, 2008.

1. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

haha hey thats me... here at work with nothing to do.. :)

2. get to work you slacker!:D

3. MyBootsOnFire

MyBootsOnFire

Is it just me or is it a lot of the same people that jump on here once a week to complain about rat rods. Can we have tech week all the time?

4. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Doing nothing all day? No wonder you're at work at midnight..

5. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

my first rod was a running stock 31 model A [$175]bought a used 265" sbc,[$275] new clutch, flywheel and adapter [$65] 39 ford trans[$25] new ford wheels [$12 ea ] 48 ford brakes and rear end.[$25]tires ww recaps. [$50].used the original radiator,steering, and dual A mufflers, plus misc $[150] interior mex blankets exterior, patina paint and real rust. Drove good, went good,was dependable , stopped on a dime, didnt heat up. yea it was expensive in 56', and it would kinda be a beater but everybody liked it, and it looked good to me. yea a young guy could do that then. I did. was another time, but I think the guys today are enjoying it as much, or more, as we did then.

6. CadillacCorey

CadillacCorey

Randomrodder, I think you may have lost a simple and very inherent fact about hot rodding... We are in your face :eek:! It's that attitude that makes rodding what it was and will continue to be. If people wanted safe, reliable, easy rides they'd take the family station wagon out and about. Hot rods were about speed, danger, living life on the edge. Cops were all over these hot rod punks back in the day because they weren't nothing but trouble, with their loud, low, fast cars and their Rock n' Roll music. So guess what? Just because rat rods don't look like the cars you remember, doesn't mean that they don't typify the spirit of what it's all about. "To take a salvageable body and desecrate it" What the fuck is that? What do you think the older generation thought when they saw these kids taking the fenders off of shit, punching louvers in the hood, and cutting the springs?!

Barn Find T, I think a lot of these guys don't realize that they're turning into the exact people they hated when they started rodding. "Why don't you drive a safe car?" "Why doesn't it have nice paint?" "You have to spend more in order to be truly cool.", This is the shit the squares all thought, and now even the people that went against that are turning around and saying the exact same shit, they just think they're keeping things "traditional". Another thing they don't realize is that this fucking attitude against the young un's is a big part of why the hobby's dying like it is. And I've dealt with it many times, been shrugged off as just a punk kid (Yeah, I'm 22), and then I hear this crap about how we all have to spend more money to be a true hot rodder.

Elvisaurus Rex, I'm that kid from California. I'll step off of my soapbox now.

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

The thread regarding the batwing 56-57 Chevy aircleaner and carbs that sold on ebay for a rediculous sum was just shut down, but it made me go searching for this thread that I was reading last night. I think it illustrates a pretty interesting problem with viewing hot rodding/customs as a "cheap" vs "expensive" hobby.

I mean, I know building a hot rod isn't and wasn't a cheap venture, but a lot of these things (various doo-dads and speed equipment) are just out of control these days. It's no wonder so many of us resort to free/found/cobbled together things. I'm a lot closer to being on the road with scrounged parts and things I've built myself than dishing out that kind of dough for various parts... especially on my budget.

That's not to say I want or think anyone should sacrifice workmanship, safety, aesthetics and overall job quality for the sake of saving a few bucks, but I tend to admire the guy who cobbled his own Model A hinges out of scrap more than the guy who spent a shitload of money buying a chromed set and any other number of examples of things that could be made or reproduced with a little ingenuity and elbow grease ... like a batwing aircleaner.

8. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

im not old enough to remember the golden age of hotrodding, but from what ive seen in pictures and heard from the oldtimers i drink with at the american legion, there have always been people cobbling together crappy unsafe cars, that have no business owning a wrench. they even made a P.S.A. about it- watch and enjoy, theres some old pomona footage here-
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I6KY-wq4trU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I6KY-wq4trU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gy5Rr3lwH0I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gy5Rr3lwH0I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClnbMd8DK_g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ClnbMd8DK_g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. I would have to say this mirrors my thoughts on the topic. I'm think the terms and wordage of today suck. I call a hot rod a hot rod. "Rat Rod" was coined by some goldchainer that didn't like an unfinished car get more attention than his 50K Glass 32 Ford. "Goldchainer" was coined by some punk who's poorly built piece of shit was criticized by said hot rodder with more bank to invest in a car.

It's all about inspiration of a simpler time in my eyes. My father was in the hay day of it. Hot rodding is about building what you can with what you have. Period. It's not about my bank is bigger than your bank. All these piss poor names and analogies have got to go or the entire hobby is going to die away.

10. Not a good comparison.

In 1952 a 32 Ford was 20 years old, you have to compare what a 20 year old car costs in 2006, ie maybe a 1986 Camaro or Mustang. Then the price is more equivalent.

Apples and oranges.

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Holy SCHITT Chili Phil.......
    I love guys like you, that if you cannot put a dollar amount on something, it's worthless, cheap. I hope I'm missing your point, but this might be one of the most arrogant things I've read on here lately. I've got to learn to blow off garbage like this.

You've completely wiped INGENUITY off the map, along with PRIDE and HEART and SOUL and..... I DESPISE rolling junk heaps too, but even IF a car is a little rough around the edges, if I can look at it and see the workmanship that went in and ingenious use of FOUND parts, I will walk away liking the car more than most that had endless budgets. You cite some beautiful rods and customs but for the most part, they were the pinnacle not the norm.

I'm not a wealthy man, and maybe this flippant thread you started is rubbing me the wrong way because of it. But when I build something, the only time cost comes up is when I weigh my time vs. the cost of a part. Even then, I may choose to spend hours on a bracket because it gets me off more than to just purchase it, strictly depends on my mood at the time.

When you suggest that you are not a PLAYER if you can't come to the table with stacks of cash, I get, well, a little PUT OFF.

It speaks volumes that you came back later to say, "Oh, sweat equity, yeah, that counts too."
    Wow, thanks.

REALLY? Something about a pot and a kettle? :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  12. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

I'll contend that there's a distinct difference between a 'jalopy' and a 'rat rod'...

13. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Since this is a true part of the Hamb Gospel. I have to agree with brother Chili on this always being an expensive habit we all have. It has ALWAYS been expensive! Yes there are those deals that are unbelievable, but on average "we" pay a lot. I think there are more deals to be had here in the Midwest and east coast than are left in the Cal area...though Washington has some real gems still buried as well does Canada. However, this is about the history and past price of Hot Rodding.

Now if you will, please open your January 1959 HRM bible and turn to page 96. Listed clearly in the classifieds is just one of the greatest hot rods known. The price seems reasonable now, because that is what is thrown down on a new flat screen TV or a years "insert necessary utility" bill (or at least here in Indiana). But according to the stats "4t64rd" gave, that is a SUBSTANTIAL amount! If some of you are just visiting, here is a photo of said page. If you don't know the car...sit down, shut up, and let the history of hot rodding baptize you!!!

[​IMG]

Case closed?!

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah well, I have to read this shit... It's my job.

that said, I agree with just about everything you said. :)

15. Not quite my brother. We are not about "In your face", we were and are about the type of person that doesn't like to stand in line right behind the other guy. We are the ones that have only one foot in that line so we don't lose our spot when we buy our popcorn at the movies. Or whatever the blank we are doing. We have a rebellous streak and like to think outside the box. We are non-comformist of a sort.

We tend to see things on a different level then most people do and act and build accordingly.

What you are speaking about is the PUNK ASS ATTITUDE that got all of us guy with DAs back in the 50s into trouble JUST because we had DAs. The same goes with your PISS POOR attitude of in your face. Well, IN YOUR FACE my friend because you have no idea what it is all about. Rodding is in your blood or it's not, period. If you think you need to have attitude like, IN YOUR FACE to be a hot rodder, then you are nothing but a fool in my book.

16. impalamark

impalamark

I'm a new guy and don't see the problem. yes customized automobiles get pricey
    especially to this group who goes after 80 to 90 years old sheetmetal and parts to build them out
    of.Of course they're expensive that stuff isn't laying around every junk yard in town
    I think if you build any decent looking safe fast car you are going to spend $5k

I see the tuner crowd building some cool stuff cheap {not that anyone here cares}
    because the junkyards are full of raw materials
    I used to build 60's impalas but can't afford to buy them any more cuzevery guy with
    a rust bucket who's seen a rap music video thinks he has something worth big money
    now I play with old pick up trucks, cheap to buy cheap to build.
    Mark

17. I read a book a while back about early roadsters in the portland oregon area where and when I grew up and was forever impressed with the car builders around 82nd and burnside, the title was the "mean streets of portland" In that book he talks about a wild man named Bud Davis who broke the 100 mph barrier at Scapoose drag way, no big deal now but then it was huge. any way what we are calling "Rats" now look like the car he did it in. Every thing gets better with time and so has the car hobby, I for one like them all .
    if This kinda sound like a geezer story, well, it is.
    Keep the faith; Mike

18. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'll take the 34 Ford Roadster under it for $450 thank you.

19. HEBE GB

HEBE GB

They should of left it in the garage until it was expensive,and it's got red wheels to boot

[​IMG]

More than one log for the fire.
    [​IMG]

Oh,and
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

It's all somewhat relative.

How bad do you want something?
    How much do you earn and what are your other financial responsibilities?
    It's a very personal matter, person by person.

I'm old enough to have seen real 3 year old Cobras sell for $4000.
    Sold my Dad's '67 Shelby GT500 for $2400 in '75.
    Bought two houses in Pasadena for $38,000 (for the pair) in '74.
    Sold my mint '67 427/435 Corvette for $2200 in '71.
    Those prices are just what that stuff was worth.
    It's kind of a answer-less question.
    We are all different and our "hobby cars" are of different priority to each and every one of us.
    My car hobby is just a hobby. Many, many other things come first.
    There will always be big buck cars.
    Thankfully HAMBers won't spend $100K for a Boydster or a "glass Willys street rod.
    Like I said, it's a question without an answer.
    Do what you want.......

21. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Not to live and tell about it! ;)

22. hot rust

hot rust

IMHO i think that theres always been cars built in that style, but it seems that b.i.t.d. people didnt build them like that to leave them as so, most or all of the rr's of today are built or butchered together in that specific manner to stay that way, not to be updated or bettered when the moneys available.traditional no, bull**it yes

23. Interesting stuff, and the one I totally disagree with is the comment that hotrodders are "in your face". In my years in this hobby it has never been about "in your face". In the beginning it was just the opposite. I also understand that you will never convince the person that said that, but that is not how I remember it.

I totally agree with Safariknut, as that is how I remember things were, in my day.

24. An interesting thread. Informative and thought provoking. The only posts not worth the read were Ryan's. His opinions didn't contribute at all to the tread. Must be nice to be king.

25. Drive Em

Drive Em

Not counting my labor, I built this car for far less that 5K, including T,T & L. Sure it has a fiberglass body, but it also has a very traditional look, drum brakes, a manual tranny, cowl steering, '37 Ford wide 5 front wheels, Guide 682 headlamps, '37 Ford axle and spindles, a generator, dual point distributor and Bomber seats. Most everything was bought used, given to me ,or built by me. It took me a little over a year and a half from start to finish to build it. I did not skimp on safety anywhere. It has a stock Ford 302 engine.( which are supposed to be expensive) I drove it 150 plus miles to its first show, won a trophy and drove it 150 miles back home. It stops, steers and hanldes awesome. It is also painted, and detailed. It can be done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Kick-ass! What are those rear wheels? Reversed ''80s Lincoln- they look cool.

27. Yes...

28. Drive Em

Drive Em

Reversed Chrysler Cordova (5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern), but the Lincolns are close except with a 5 x 5" bolt pattern.

29. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Got it- sweet. Like to be proven wrong. That car does it.

30. In my neck of the woods there were no rod-building shops until the late 60s. A hot rod was a cheap car in the 50s, even in the early to mid 60s. My first rod was a pile of crap (would be a perfect rat today). It was a T tourer body, fenderless, on a Model A frame with stock A front and rear, even the stock A rod brakes. It had a 34 V8 mill, twin carbs on Y manifold, twin pipes with chicken wire rammed up them, brush painted black, plexi windscreen and leopard skin car rugs for seat covers. This was 1963-65, and it cost $135, which was about a months' pay. In 1965 I bought an absolute mint 36 5w coupe for $170 and in '66 I swapped it for a channeled 33 coupe.
    I also had a 38 std coupe for $50, a 36 sedan for $50, and a 37 deluxe sedan for $10! These were all legal and reasonably good runners.
    I believe it is very easy to get fooled into thinking that all 50s rods were like the Spencer, Nitti or Neikamp cars. Well, they were'nt, those were exceptions, and it's because they were exceptions that they got to feature in the mags of the era. If you go back and read any Hot Rods from the 50's you'll see predominantly rough homebuilts, with a sprinkling of quality cars. I've just finished reading a pile of Hot Rod mags from around 1955-61, and you can see the cars improving in quality as the 60s rolled around.
    Here in NZ, the hot favourite in the late 50s, early 60s was the channeled 34 coupe. 32 roadsters and coupes followed, and channeled 32 and 34 sedans were popular too. Strangely, model A's were not so popular at that time. A NZ publication called Looking Back verifies my recollections.
    If you take the average price of a rod back then, it equates to a months pay or less. Today you'll be very lucky to get a reasonable bare body for a month's pay..... so the answer is yes, hot rods were cheaper back then than they are now. And we were'nt so fussy. :D