Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods First runs at strip for Green Tee, Electric Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevymike, Oct 13, 2008.

1. brandon

brandon

was going to say the same thing.... neat deal... that white s10 was on pass time wasn't it...? brandon:D

2. chevymike

chevymike

Not sure what you mean by pass time. That S10 was fast. All electric and running mid/upper 6's.

3. brandon

brandon

tv show on speed network...:D

4. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

5. Darwin

Darwin

6. JAWS

JAWS

Freakin saweet!

7. I wasn't sure if a wheel motor was available that would meet the desired specs. It just seems to me that a rear end is 200 pounds of stuff that could be done away with while increasing efficiency at the same time

Regenerative braking would allow the omission of friction brakes.

It’s mostly curiosity I have about the setup and how much technology you get for your 15000 bucks worth of electronics.

8. Darwin

Darwin

15K is not much in this arena. This stuff is still expensive as hell to play with. It is reported that the Chevy Volt will have a 16KW lithium battery that is projected to cost $15,000 to replace. Batteries in particular are so expensive, even in volume production, that companies are considering arrangements whereby one buys a vehicle but leases the battery. Batteries are large resource intensive physical systems, unlike microelectronics, and thus will not be subject to the same economies of scale. For instance even if you manufactured a billion small block chevy engines they still wouldn't cost ten bucks apiece. Also most advanced battery systems use expensive raw materials such as lithium metal which is already seeing big price increases. A class of devices known as ultracapacitors is showing promise but there again you're talking about large heavy devices requiring advanced materials and manufacturing techniques.

Wheel motors do show great promise from the standpoint of reducing overall vehicle weight but they have a number of inherent problems of their own. Perhaps first and foremost is unsprung weight. Even the most advanced units increase total wheel weight by as much as 30-40 lbs. even if conventional brakes are eliminated. Not a big deal on a toy car maybe but a big problem for modern passenger cars. Secondly are durability concerns pertaining to the fat high-current cabling required to both get juice to the motors and endure the wear imposed by suspension travel and steering angulation with additional weather sealing issues for the motors themselves. Fourth these motors are marvels of high-torque low-rpm efficiency but expensive high field strength magnets along with other high-tech materials are needed for good performance and weight control which severely affects manufacturing costs--to put it mildly. One last issue is that although these units can in theory dispense with friction brakes, thereby saving a bunch of weight, not having a mechanical backup system is going to make regulators nervous as heck not to mention belt and suspenders types like myself. The promise of wheel motors is high but it will take a fair while to make good on that promise.

9. 29 de soto

29 de soto

after watching the" FIRST DRIVE" video i was curious if thats environmentaly friendly burnt rubber?haha

10. chopdtop

chopdtop

LOL. I was going to say leave the engine area empty , get one of these and weld a sprocket and chain to it and place it on the floor board whenever you are not around the car.

Attached Files:

11. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

If you can get a 1/4 mile extension cable the sky's the limit ;)

Seriously great effort looks like tons of fun.

12. T2B

T2B
    from san diego

Well, I have been told that support has been very posiive on this board. Thank you all. I am the camera man on the in car stuff. This project is lots of fun to do and is still on going. Lights and a plate are next on the list of things to do. Thanks again for all the positive comments. If you have seen the in car video, did you hear my phone fall out of my pocket? I still have not found it.:eek: MORE BIGGER BATTERIES! Anyone have an Engizer hook up? Thanks for all the support and Chevymike will keep yuo all up to date on the improvements. vroom! vroom!(only engine noice we have)

13. tjm73

tjm73

How many volts does this thig run on and how far can a charge carry the passengers? The videos are great fun to watch.

14. electrabishi

electrabishi
    from Alaska

Hey Mike,
    Great showing at the NEDRA Nationals. I see Michael had to carry a passenger so he would have an excuse for when you beat him, heh heh. Can't wait until you get that thing on the road. What class were they running you in? It seems like if its an actual Model T frame you could at least get put in the Modified Conversion class and run against Dennis Berube's S10 named Smoke Screen. Michael may be in the Extreme Street (XS) class if I remember right. Anyway good show with the roadster.

Mike

15. chevymike

chevymike

It's running 290 volts DC from 720 Lithium Ion cells. As for how long/far a charge will last, we don't know yet as it is not street legal. We ran 3 full powered runs and then charged it, which only took 20 minutes, so it was like topping off then actually needing it.

16. chevymike

chevymike

Thanks Mike. I want a rematch against Michael. LOL It is running MC/A. Dennis was there with his S10. That thing is smokin' fast. Michael is in XS and I think just bumped up a power class with his new pack.

BTW, PM me if you want Michael's contact info about the batteries. He is a dealer for them so I don't know if he will let his source out or not but I told him you asked. You guys can work the details out.

17. chevymike

chevymike

Thought I would add a couple things. One, someone posted a video of the burn out that Michael was doing for the burnout contest. He took first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHc_l6Mv-Cs

Also, since then, we ran again and broke into the 7's with a best run of 7.84 and 60' times in 1.6x range. We are getting ready to install the track nose for some better aerodynamics.

18. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

finishing up 9pm the night before the race.

Isn't that the way it always goes?
    Good job.

19. chevymike

chevymike

I know this is an old thread but thought some might like some news. I have sold off my interest in the car to Michael (too many other projects for me) but stay in touch.

I recently got a call that said the car was run at Bakersfield at a Pink's All Out event. With only 2 runs available and the first time Green Tee has really done a full 1/4 mile pass, the best run clocked off a 13.04 @ ~94 mph. This was with some wheel spin off the line and still running the crappy battery packs. I can see 12's coming very soon.

Not too bad for 4 guys, a six week build and doing something completely out of the ordinary.