Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally (re)starting my '56 Chevy wagon project...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dandingo, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Dandingo

Dandingo

11/20/08

First drive...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y-ic8VyqII

First drive after getting it to run right...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtCA1QoLjU

10/12/08

Got it fired up! Stoked!

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CdqaPxa_H28&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

10/5/08

Updates at http://dansolomon56.blogspot.com/. We're gettin' close to firing her up! Stoked!

[​IMG]

9/13/08

Finally got the motor in! Check out the blog for a whole lot more pics!
    http://dansolomon56.blogspot.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8/31/08

Check out my blog at http://dansolomon56.blogspot.com/ for a bunch more pics and info on the restoration. These are just teaser pics.

Finished the brake lines, bled them and got her stoppin'. Also got her on all fours too see how she sits. Needs about 3 more inches in the front but that'll happen when we drop the power plant in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8/19/08

My dad and I started this a few years back. '56 2 door 150 wagon. It was literally a barn find. My cousin had bought it from a guy who had it sitting in his barn since the late '70s. It still has the CA blue plates and the last date it was registered is 1978. It's straight as an arrow and solid as a rock. Here's a teaser...

[​IMG]

More pics and whatnot here...

http://dansolomon56.blogspot.com/

I've never done a blog and I wanted to post it here 'cause I know there's plenty of guys and gals on the HAMB that'll keep us motivated to keep going. Although we're already super excited, we just wanna get this thing on the road!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. man, you just dont hear straight as an arrow and solid as a rock in good old iowa! Looks like a good starting point.

Brad

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

4. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks guys, I'll keep the blog & this thread updated as things happen.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In "Borats'" words, VERY NICE. Over the years I've owned NINE 1956 Chevrolets; I like the 150 models the most. My current 56' is a Sedan Delivery. But, it's awfully hard to beat a 150 wagon; the lines, stance, and eye appeal make it, in MY opinion the best car Chevrolet ever produced. I'm going to send you a P.M. to help you out on your project.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  6. Dandingo

Dandingo

I agree, the 150 is the most simple of all the models. I'm not even a tri-five guy but when my cousin told me and my dad that he had a '56 2 door wagon that had been in a barn, we pretty much both got a smirk on our face and at that point the deal was sealed.

I'm a HUGE fan of 'less is more'. I'm not into gaudy shit and trinkets. The simpler, the better and this car fits that criteria perfectly. Thanks again for your help and I'll try to keep this thread updated as often as possible.

7. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I've always like 56's best of the tri-fives, and I've really liked 2 door wagons........my second choice is a 210 2 door sedan.........my second choice is in the garage getting built now. Let's see who finished first!

8. Dandingo

Dandingo

You're on! This'll be great motivation for both of us! I'm gonna get out there right now and take advantage of my day off!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man I love those things. Good luck, keep us posted, and more importantly let me know if decide to sell!

10. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Glad to hear this Dan... that car is going to be fun as hell to cruise in when you're finished.

Still have the same plan for finishing it?

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like a great project. keep us posted

12. Dandingo

Dandingo

Damn, Sperry, don't think I've ever seen you on here. Yeah, I'm going for a mild custom look. I'm still debating on what hubs to put on the wheels. I'm painting 'em black and I wanted to use the OG hubs but I can't find them in Chrome, only polished and I want 'em to be SHINY.

Also, I'm trying to figure out which ignition to go with. I went on MSDs site but I'm not sure which to use. I found the MSD 6-A but these are for street/strip. The 350's mildy built, about 300 hp. Would this be a good choice or is there something out there better?

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The 6A is an entry level box and it will work great for your wagon, and support a little more if you want to step it up some in the future. It's a small block Chevy, that will be easy to do. ;)

The 6AL will have a rev limiter included.

Just be sure to mount your ignition box where it can stay reasonably cool and dry, it will last a lot longer.

Great looking project! I'm kinda partial to 2dr wagons myself. ;)

14. Dandingo

Dandingo

So the 6AL won't be too much for the setup I'm running? It's mainly gonna be a cruiser/daily driver. Thanks again!

15. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

You can email MSD and they will give you great advice.My 340 is about the same engine you have.They recommed the new lower cost box to me part 5520 i believe.It has a rev limeter also.Great products and great customer service from MSD.I have wired cars for the last 20 years and never had any problems with MSD.

16. Dandingo

Dandingo

Updates! Check the original post...

17. Dandingo

Dandingo

More updates...

By the way, thanks Istwsh for the advice. Spoke to MSD last week and ordered the ignition you recommended. We're pretty close to the transplant. Hopefully within the month if we have time on the weekends!

18. Dandingo

Dandingo

Finally got the motor in! Startin' her next weekend we hope...

19. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

Nice , love the Tri-Fives. I had a 55 that I let go in 1996, maybe I should of kept it.

[​IMG]

Bob

20. Dandingo

Dandingo

Damn, Bob, that's one good looking wagon! You gotta get that thing back!

21. slammed

slammed

Soild, Cali freakin' 2-door! Yeah Buh-dee, the line start's 'ere!

22. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I loved it, a 62,000 mile original car with the original bill of sale and warranty papers etc. As good as it was I have had more fun and been more places with my 57. Click on the cars for more info. http://members.kos.net/willisb/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. love the red small block. The way they are suppose to be

24. Dandingo

Dandingo

Thanks man. I appreciate it!

25. Dandingo

Dandingo

A few updates. Nothing too exciting but darn close to firing her up for the first time!

26. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Hey Dan... sorry i missed getting a hold of you when i was out there, man... so many social engagements, so little time... :D Good luck when you DO get around to firing her up!

27. Dandingo

Dandingo

No worries, homie. Check out the video in the first post, though. Finally started her up!

28. Dandingo

Dandingo

I'm also looking for a '56 2 door split bench in Socal or near. The cheaper the better!

29. skip86

skip86
    from Florida

Nice 56, love those wagons,i see by your pictures that you are running,pushrod guide plates,are those hardened pushrods? if there stock those guideplates will shred the pushrods,just a question on my part i,ve seen it happen before,if they are the good pushrods,just disregard my paranoid ramblings.Gerry

30. love the 55 and 56 chevy wagons...gonna be a great beach cruiser