Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage California Hot Rod Reunion, Bakersfield 2008, photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Here are a few pictures.
    I have never been to a drag race before, honestly, I did not expect much, but I was blown away by the whole thing, way freaking cool. Here are a few pictures.
    Big thanks to the Burbank Choppers for letting me stay, in their Hotel, with them, they are a class act.
    BTW, here is the next day, Throttlers show in Burbank.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300924

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

4. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

5. Nice pictures, thanks.

6. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Awesome! Love the "birds eye view" of the black and white Duece.

7. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

First time to the drags? Well, I can only guess I'll see you there at the March Meet...once you have a taste for this, you're done for :)

Thank you for the photos...

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

man, those are some great shots. The "birds eye view" of the group is killer, should go on the HAMB calender

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

:D Very cool photographs, the Ivo shots are nice. Thanks for posting............

CRUISER :cool:[​IMG]

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Totally hooked, March meet, hell yeah, I also got my first "Nitro" boost, man I almost hit the ground.

11. It's definately addicting! The smell,sound,burning eyes,nose,chest vibration when the fuelers take-off. And each time you leave.....you can't wait to go back!!!!!
    Nice pic's Dreadman...

12. never been do a drag race? What the Hell? Just kidding ya man.
    Very artisic pics, great job.
    See ya at the March Meet!

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks like a fun time.

14. seret

seret

killer pics. Man! I wish I went.

15. For a first timer, you got some beautiful photos. You really captured the beauty of the cars, and the flavor of the weekend. Very nice shots.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well done, that Group shot from above looks straight off a Magazine cover from back when.

I'd spring for a HAMB calander if that shot ends up in it.

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Some bad you-tube of the cackle fest.
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/itvY5AIZlC4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/itvY5AIZlC4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. Jim

Jim

19. HA HA HA!!!! Dreadman....the ultimate HOBO....

20. Did any of you guys get a chance to see Sarah's car? She's SASS on the HAMB. Great car....

[​IMG]

21. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Cheers Bob Sass's car was my Favorite never seen car , very very cool .Hemi powered too .

22. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

killer pics thanks man

23. I-ball

I-ball

addictions a bitch, we'll see you at the 2009 March Meets thrid gradstand on the end third row from the top :)

24. Von Franco

Von Franco

Great shots Chris ,you have a great eye for detail.

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great shots - thanks for posting them!!

I absolutely have to get out to that event some time...

Malcolm

26. Very nice pictures Dreadman.

What an amazing event! As a first time attendee I was blown away by The Hot Rod Reunion, the people who put it on, and the cars in attendance.

AMOCAT and friends both drove and flew to the HRR from Washington State and had an absolute blast! Many of us were in attendance to honor the late chassis builder and fuel car driver John Shoemaker, his wife Judie, and their son Jim. Simply wonderful people. Steve Glucoft of AMOCAT was John's partner in the car and a long time friend of the family.

[​IMG]

Here's the memorial tree plaque that notes the tree planted for John in the grove.

[​IMG]

And here are Judie and Jim Shoemaker, who I'm so happy to have been able to spend time with, along with their close friends.

[​IMG]

Up north we tend to be quite practical, so we skip trying to find pretty girls at the events and just fly a crew of them in from both coasts. It's easier that way :) Corry and Kim, two girls you never need to use your best Samuel L. Jackson "bitch be cool" line on.

[​IMG]

While folks admired the Speed Sport car, these two were looking a little harder than most.

Speaking of the Speed Sport car, the gentlemen representing it were just that, gentlemen. They were more-than-willing to speak with us and share details on the vehicle and did so for 10-15 minutes. Much appreciated.

[​IMG]

In addition to all of the competition cars, there were a few neat customs at the event too. Just imagine this Zephyr with a coat of mirror-gloss black paint under street lights. Wow.

Rico Fodrey and Jake Decker and son were set up with Cole's trailer and a car for sale near the Zephyr and were humble, more-than-friendly, and fun to talk to. Nice guys. No Cole to be found, but I did see him at the Double Tree briefly the night before in passing and he was looking quite dapper.

[​IMG]

As the sun set at the strip and cars started to line up for Cacklefest, John Shoemaker along with others were honored on the Podium.

[​IMG]

After the honorees left the podium and headed to the VIP BBQ, it started getting cold, I started remembering that I forgot a long sleeved shirt, and I put on the liquid long johns. Shaking and drinking generally result in poor pictures, but here's one of the cars making the bend behind the starting line and heading down the strip to park. Seeing all of those monsters lit up on that track, probably near or over 100 of them, was unbelievable. Whatever is being charged for tickets to the HRR is well worth it, times two.

A special thank you to Judie Shoemaker for having us to the BBQ. The food and company, including Ed Iskenderian, who took buddy Josh to school were great!

[​IMG]

And a very special thank you to Steve Glucoft of AMOCAT, his lovely wife Corry, and Josh Higgins for having me along. True friends.

Get to the Hot Rod Reunion next year, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  27. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Here a few more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]