Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hotrodz & Hillbillyz show in GA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi, Oct 13, 2008.

1. hemi

hemi

I have to say it was one of the funnest shows that I have ever been to. I'm sure things will change, but to be there for the second one was a treat. From what I've heard the first one, like many shows that start out, was a small group of like-minded folks. Word of mouth got around and a few flyers got around and they had a much bigger turn out this year. My buddy Jeff and I spoke with Troy and Randy from the Rusty Nuts car club, and they just wanted everyone to have a good time. Great guys both of them.

A few things about the show that make it a little different than other shows.

1.Georgia didn't have a ton of new cars in the '30s and the wet climate makes everything return to the earth at a rapid pace. Thus, it is not CA and they just don't have the base of primo hot rod fodder to begin with. It's three times as hard to build a traditional rod down south than in southern CA. I've been to plenty of swap meets in both areas and spent a good deal of my adolescence picking through GA backyards for old cars. That being said, most of them just do what they can with what they have, and there is a higher level of acceptance of the rat rod out there.

2. It was held in the field of a local farm/ranch at a (I kid you not) dirt drag strip. We drove waaaay into the twisty mountains on one of the neatest, scenic drives you could ask for to get there and that was one of the best parts. (If you like to drive)

We got there and paid a scant $3 admission, $10 if you wanted to show your car. We pulled our trucks right in to the show and had an excellent home base for the shade and cooler. It was like a huge, fun party, punctuated by passing clouds of dirt from the drags.

The drags: Anything and everything could make a pass. Quads, hot rods, camp vehicles, bikes... one street bike even had a dirtbike knobby on the back.

The bands played throughout the evening and if you left before the Dead Towners, you REALLY missed a good freakin' band.

You could drink whatever you brought, camp out over night (which we did) and do whatever you want.....

Unfortunately that seems to be too much responsibility for a few members of society and I'm sure things will be a little more tighter next time. But there were several fights, which I think is good because if they always get broken up, the cave people who go to a CAR SHOW to fight never get pummeled. There were a couple of West Side Story tussells, and it's my understanding that they worked themselves out. If you haven't heard the sound of landing punches from across a field, you really haven't lived. The overall vibe was VERY positive, however, and we really had a blast.

And the Helicopter.... LOL.... some guy on a tricked out quad found out the hard way that they are top-heavy and rolled his over himself and damaged his foot bad enough that TWO ambulances had to come and look before calling the air support. I'm not sure what tricked out quads were doing at a traditional hot rod show, but most everyone else kept their's right side up... we are in Georgia, after all.

Great show, super-fun, borderline anarchy with a touch of good music thrown in. I don't think next year will be as wild, but I'll be there anyways.
    I don't hate the rat rodzzzz that I saw, because they really don't have the abundance of old parts and a Pomona Swap Meet in their back yards. Be thankful if you do...

Here's some of what I saw:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the knobby rear tire:

[​IMG]

This guy was spitting and I didn't even know it... hahaha.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. hemi

hemi

3. hemi

hemi

Last batch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and it's all fun until one of THESE shows up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kustomrace

kustomrace

All I can say is WOW...That looked like a Thrillbilly good time.Dave

5. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

Pretty good account of the events. I'm glad to see ya liked the DeadTowners and and see the positives of the show. We do have a lot of fun and make the best of what we have. I have been to shows all over the country and know what you mean about how things are not the same from place to place. Cars from the south are not the same as cars from the northeast, or out west. That being said, I do think that even the "rats" are being built a little bit better with a little more safety in mind.
    As far as the tough guys go, the group that started the most of it is the same group that starts it at most events in Atlanta and for the most part don't even care about the cars.
    The show is pretty much the most fun show in the south and I will be back next year.

P.S. it was a raked out bike that caused the guy to be airlifted. I watched him flip and I turned off the ignition while he was screamin that his leg was like Jello.

6. hemi

hemi

I didn't see the accident, I was watching a band at the time, but I did hear several people say it was a bike at first, and then when I got to the helicopter, later this old guy was telling me he saw a quad flip. He was the only "eye witness" I talked to...

I also agree that some of the southern rats are of a better build quality. My buddy Jeff's truck is an early Dodge cab on a Chevy truck frame and he went through a lot to make it safe for his daughter to ride in..

7. As an old codger, I find it hard not to think of the liability of whoever owns that property.
    4 People in a t bucket at speed on dirt is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    You kids have at it.

8. hemi

hemi

The "strip" was like 200 yards or something, they were lucky to get over 60 mph... it was an acceleration/traction contest at best. It was fun...

9. sololobo

sololobo

Insane, I think it was a miracle more weren't injured. I must be showing my age, I just saw DANGER with a few cool rods and customs thrown in. It was kinda like "paddle faster I hear banjos". I am glad you came out o.k.

10. hemi

hemi

You'd think... maybe, but everyone did a great job of policing themselves and respecting everyone else's safety without "supervision," except for the Jetts who wanted to rock-a-birry rumble... but they did their thing and the rest of the night was awesome. My girlfriend had a blast, too.. It was a very unique and neat show. If you didn't go you missed a great time, that's all I know.

11. Yep, thats what makes this county great. :rolleyes:
    You can't get drunk and act like an idiot without worrying about someone getting sued.
    I just hope for The Rusty Nuts' sake nothing negative came thier way from it. They are the greatest bunch of genuinely nice people who just want to have a good time with a bunch of like minded people the way they have thier whole lives(they are not new to this hotrod stuff).
    I went last year and had a GREAT time. Had to work this year.:(
    I will be there next year if the professional idiots didn't ruin it for everyone else.
    Thanks hemi for the great coverage and pics.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I don't know what to say.

13. The funnier part is 2 guys riding on a horse. Are they lined up for the dirt drags? Is the guy on back for traction or for comic relief when he falls off?

14. hemi

hemi

It's called Hot Rodz and Hillbillyz.. what were you really expecting? :D

Actually I think these two came over from the farm that was on site... they had horse stalls and a lot of animals. The guy on the back hopped off right after I took the picture. No, the horse didn't race.

You know.. the first drag race was against a horse, that's REAL traditional... LOL.

15. vegaracechic24

vegaracechic24
    from Winder,Ga

The Rusty Nut's are a great group of people, we had a killer time, but had to leave before the chopper got there..... Next year the plan is to campout. It was the perfect place and weather for the event. Thanks to all who put on the show and the folks for lettin us use their place.

16. Bitter Red

Bitter Red
    from Georgia

My brain (or body for that matter) ain't workin' so great after this weekend, but I can say that I had one helluva time! I just hope that all the shittards stay home next year.

If ya don't mind, I'm gonna put some of these pictures on the HotRodz page.

Can't wait for next year! I hope they have more toilets next time though!

17. samuel gable

samuel gable
    from Cumming Ga

Thanks to everyone who attended and for all the kind words. I think this is a case of diffrent strokes for diffrent folks. I have driven out west for car shows. I have been up north for shows and they all have a unique style of show and car and I can have a blast at all of them. There is no need for me to make commets about someones show over the internet if I don't enjoy something I just keep my mouth shut and don't go back. That being said there were some growing pains with this show and we will be addressing them through out the year. If we can keep this constuctive I would be glad to listen to any recomendations. As for the trouble makers the were made up almost completly of spectators and not fellow hotrodders. Again thanks to all who supported the show or the Rusty Nuts CC.

Thanks Sammy

18. Bitter Red

Bitter Red
    from Georgia

Definitely coulda used more t.p.! Oh....and more poopers to put that t.p. in!

AND...I think there should be a helicopter come to every show (just not for the same reason next time!).....I love helicopters....

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Damn! Those pix, the first person, "I was there" reports here on H.A.M.B., and in an unrelated phone conversation with Dogpatch wherin he mentioned this bachanal, convince me I should have been there!
    Got to add Hotrodz and Hillbillyz to last of "BE THERE" for next year along with drags @ Reynolds, and "Dixie Fried"!
    It is sad to see anybody get to the extremes that they get someone hurt, not just in sympathy for the victim, but because such happenings bring a severe reaction from those who would protect us from ourselves.I've seen it before, many times.
    One in particular is the infield at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Early Years?Wow! Talk about a madhouse!
    But it got so bad and so many got hurt or arrested after the fact, That when the crackdown came, it came with a vengeance! Been there since the first race, and will be there again in less than2 weeks. And the difference between the early years and now is like comparing the show in this thread and at "Dixie Frioed" to the car shows and "Cruise Ins" put on in small towns all over USA at drive ins, restaurant, church, and school parking lots!
    And that 's why I gotta get there before the fun's all over!!!!!!!
    Dave

20. Approximately 45 years ago, there used to be a party in the infield at Sebring.
    That's all I will say.

21. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Looks to me like the show was a huge success, i will definately be there next year!

22. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

lets just say if you can run with the rest of the pack, stay at home on the front porch. this show is by far the best show in georgia. aside from the few skirkishes that were quickly taken care of, it was a blast and nobody got hurt on the drag strip. the gentlman that broke his ankle was very unforuntate, but he should have known better that to do what he was doing. The Rusty Nuts are truely awesome guys, and they know exactly how to put on a car show for success. Anybody that has negative comments about it or thinks it was dumb needs to show up next year and see for themselves what it's all about.

23. ratster

ratster

HEMI, welcome to the south

24. nice pics looks like yall had a good one , god bless dixie!

25. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

YYYeeeeeeeeeHHHHHHaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww

26. 1959cac

1959cac

Late post to this....yes it was awesomely crazy!!!!!!!!! Unforgetable!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

What in the fuck was that trike thing??????

28. I wish I could see a full thread with more photos of that "Dualy Wrecker" with the orange wheels! I want one!