Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with filter ideas!!! Please!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26Rooster, Oct 12, 2008.

1. 26Rooster

26Rooster

I'm wanting to run frog mouth scoops on my 2G Rochester carbs. But, I don't find a way to put filters in, I've thought about just running some type of screen only, but, will this be enough to keep dust, dirt out of the carbs. :confused:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Oh it'll keep out the big pieces of butterflies, junebugs and other flying insects, and the occassional thorn up pebble or hexnut, but dirt and dust...think about it.

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Even though those scoops are both traditional and good looking, if you care about your engine internals over the long haul you'll run something else. It's hard to beat laws of physics when it comes to ingesting debris.

Another point of reference, whenever I've tried moving filtration directly onto the carb throat it created problems. You need a clean turn where the air enters the carb to prevent issues with turbulence and atomization.

The ACs in your avatar are a great choice for both looks and function. No coincidence there's so many in use

good luck

4. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Might look into small engine filters...

5. 26Rooster

26Rooster

When I ran the scoops, sure made a difference in the way the carbs functioned!! Just not keen on running without a filter.
    So, I'll keep the chrome hats on.
    Thanks everyone for the advice!!

6. Ole don

Ole don

Flatattackracing has foam filters made to fit in the throat of carb scoops for 97's I don't know if they will fit 2GC's. I have a 2GC, I could check if you are interested.

7. 26Rooster

26Rooster

I tried putting a foam filter sandwiched between 2 screens, ran like crap, realized it was blocking the air tube.

8. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i believe mooneyes also makes a sort of foam screen insert but as stated above not sure if they would work on 2 gc's

9. Now granted, all this comes from bikes and VW's, as I've never had a multi carb setup on a V8, but I'm sure the same applies. Usually whenever you run a filter vs. open or often times even changine the filter design itself you will need to rejet or tune your carbs, because you are changing the vacuum signal in the carb. With a filter there is some resistance as you pull the air through the carb, which will increase the vacuum signal and draw more fuel into the mix. with an open stack you have less vacuum signal to draw the fuel.

10. dvmnorthwest

dvmnorthwest

11. 26Rooster

26Rooster

Those Mooneyes filters might work!!:cool:
    Thanks for the link...