Register now to get rid of these ads!

Predator carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hipkatgreaser, Oct 11, 2008.

1. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

Hi there the other day I got a predator carb from a buddy at work. He walked up on me packing this silver box of a thing called a carb. He said he was cleanin out his garage and didn't want it. I said sure. I'll take anything for free and it's wild lookin. He didn't have much info but did say it was a old drag carb. I was hoping if any of you guys knew anything about these. Also if you do know anything about them. Enlighten me about the pros and cons of it.

2. Do you know how many failed marriages I started with that exact rationalizing?

3. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

I know just what your talkin about

4. Is that those square-box looking carbs that all the Monster Trucks used to run?

5. exactly - and that's all I know about 'em.

6. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

I did some diggin on the net I do believe they do. From what I gather their rare. They look like they're based loosely off a Holley, but they contain to throttle plates inside.

7. I always heard they were "rare", because they were junk on the street. I don't know though.

8. I ran one on a 360 sprint car and it was GREAT !!!!

Not too good of a street setup however.

9. They always looked like something a do-it-yourself'er made in his garage! Don't think it would be more than a conversation piece to keep in my garage...
    There's rare, because they are hard to find and then there's rare because nobody wanted them...

10. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

I looked on ebay they're pullin in 500 smackers for a used unrebuilt one. I quess their cfm rating is based on throttle used because of the 2nd plates so you don't get too rich or lean of a mixture and no main jets.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were popular with the monster truck and 4x4 guys for a while because they were said to not be affected by severe angles as much as the regularly available carbs.
    With fi conversions readily available I think most of them have been shelf ornaments for a while.

12. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

that one probally the reason I took it, it grabbed my attention, but it just sits there on the shelf beggin to be used out of curousity.

13. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

14. tomslik

tomslik

Kendig was similar and was before the predators...
    i was call the "kendigorator" if i remember correctly.
    NO experience with either, sorry

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

wtf? based on a Holley? what makes you think that? they mix fuel and air?:eek:

16. ls7gto

ls7gto

I had one on my mid 11 sec Camaro on the street, went faster with a dominator. even tried 2 on a tunnel ram. Its a realy simple idea, but every time you jumped on it you had to mess with it.
    They get that much? guess Ill have to look to see if I still have one. Doug

17. hipkatgreaser

hipkatgreaser

zman they have accel pump and metering plate

18. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

make sure you can close the hood with it on

19. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

I see the coffee beans get poured into the top but where is the hand crank to grind them up?
    (I thought they looked more like a coffee grinder than a carburetor)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and that makes them Holley like? You need to get out more.....

21. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

One of the early stock cars I worked on had one. The driver didn't care for it because it didn't have much throttle control, it was either wide open or off. It's like I try to teach new drivers, "That little pedal isn't necessarily an on off switch!" It would have been and I think was intended to be a drag race carb.

22. fuel

fuel

I met an old guy in Killeen, Texas once that had a Predator one barrel on an AMC Javelin. You could almost stick your whole fist in the carb it was so big. It was crazy. Only one I ever saw.

23. dvmnorthwest

dvmnorthwest

My father tried one on his pulling truck a long time ago. I'll put it this way; he didn't even make it 1 season before switching back to a holley. A lot of guys tried them on their pullers. They all took them off. We've had a couple of buddies try them on the street simply because there used to be a surplus of them in our circle of friends. I heard that they were extremely tempermental. I don't know anyone that runs them on anything anymore (wow, that's a lot of "any..." in one sentence!!!)

24. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Sell the damn thing I tried using a set on my blown BBC it was cheaper to go with new carbs .Do not wast your time like I did If they worked so well you would see them on cars at shows.But If you decide to go that route Google Predator carb nice guys you can get all new parts but I would ditch that thing ASAP .My 2 cents

25. JAWS

JAWS

There were a couple different versions. The early ones didn't have an idle circuit. Making them horrid for street cars. They would idle with adjustment and only then at higher than a normal carb would allow.

The later versions did have idle circuitry, but they were more expensive.
    I don't remember them working well even then. The last one didn't.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

The Predator was supposily designed to work on any size engine. You had the throttle blade, but above that, you and a secondary blade that opened based on engine vacuum. I believe it was suppose to be good for 950 cfm. Never heard anything good about them but when it was Kendig, they sponsored Nicholsons pro stock pinto.

27. llonning

llonning

Don't know what most of you are talking about. I ran one of them on my P/U for about 8 years. Never had a problem with it. Great throttle response, LOTS of power. Never regreted buying it. Just have had no need for that truck anymore, otherwise I would still be driving it. You did have to play with it a little to get it setup right in the begining, just like any carb on a modified engine.

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

I'd like to try one, when I put the old Turbo Kit ( a Accel/Rotomaster Turbosonic ) on my '70's style Street/Strip Car.

What should I look for ?

How can I tell its the one with a idle circuit?

What about Parts availabillity?
    ( rebuilt kits, etc...)

Is the total height the same as a Holley?
    ( it looks a bit taller...)

Or should I just forget about using one and stick with a Holley?

29. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

It's probably not quite twice as tall as a holley. I don't remember many problems with it other than it wasn't as versatile as a holley.

30. ratrod0

ratrod0

i had one and it was great loved it . it came with 3 cams one for 10% lean one for normal and one was 10% rich