Register now to get rid of these ads!

How not too install a 4-link. (I need your help.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steamboat, Oct 9, 2008.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

everyone would be seriously shocked if they found out who did this work!!!

2. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

holy shit! i never met the guy who did this but i know who he is. i cant believe it, that is the most horrible thing I've ever seen! i wish you luck my man, i wouldnt let that guy WASH my car after seeing this!

3. Abone29

Abone29

Man thats the WORST hack job I've ever seen.You're damn lucky to have survived driving it.This guy doesn't need to be working on cars.He's gonna get somebody killed.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i'm at a loss for words...

someone with a name, building a ticking bomb like that? criminal

5. Bull

Bull

So shock us!

6. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

if john feels it needed to mention who did it then i'll leave it up to him, its not my car and not my choice to name him

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

why would you not mention the name of this hack? he took your money and gave you unsafe junk. you are probably not the first. you should do whatever you can to be sure you are the last.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i kinda agree with letting people know who did this hatchet job... but can understand the need NOT to, at least untill this shit gets settled

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

What a garbage job. Glad to hear that you're doing things the right way and taking him to court. The toughest part is actually collecting the money, but it *sounds* like he's going along with the program, which is kinda the best you can hope for as there's no way he can do the job right, obviously.

How much was that job?!?

10. Wyle E Coyote

Wyle E Coyote

As was stated already, the hack shop should not only refund your total cost but also pay for the proper repairs to make your car right again. I've had to deal with a situation like this in the past and it was a LOT more work to fix the hacked up mess then it would have been if the customer had brought me the car in the first place. Sorry to see you going through this and I wish you luck.

11. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Since a few here know who did the hack job-
    Big name shop?
    HAMB member?
    Does the shop do otherwise quality work?
    Is this a unsupervised probably new employee who did this w/o owners knowledge?
    Is it possible for same shop to fix this?

12. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I'm REAL tempted to play the fucking name game...

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PM me the name, Ill post it, Im in this whole other country. What is he gonna do?
    Doc.

14. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

I dont think there is any exuse for that mess, but you couldnt have a lot invested in that!

15. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I'm not though...people can find the info on their own if they REALLY wanna know...

16. lgh1157

lgh1157

17. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Hahaha, stealth edit didn't work for ya did it? :p

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ant the culprit:
    Bryan Thorpe, aka DirtyT, aka "Collective Speed and Kustom".

I found it hard to believe but there it is...............

I just dont want any one else to cop this sort of shit, its jus, well. BAD.

Doc.

19. Fuck that, post the hacks name up here. If not you guys are worse than the "builder". Shit like that needs to be called out.

Ok, thanks Doc, you posted as I typed this.

20. You mean the same DirtyT that hung with FatHack? The guy I called a "PovertyRodder" here on the HAMB a few years back when he had Hack defended the shit they were building? Then folks thought I was being to hard on his Masterpiece the "Space Herpie"? Hmmm.........interesting. I thought Roadstar got him on the right track? Apparently you can still lead a horse to water...........

21. Profile says last online in August............ironic that occupation says "fucking up old cars"

22. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

You really shouldn't weld the tabs the the center section of the rear end. I'm not trying to talk shit, but it's just not the thing to do. The bars could be a bit shorter, and moved off of it, and still work just fine.

As far as the 58 Merc, Yea it's bad alright, but unfortunaly I've cut out much worse, much, much, much worse over the years. Just cut it all out and start over that is the only real way to fix it right.

What I tell guys is talk to people who have had the work done by the person, or "shop" in question before you ever let someone work on your own car, or at least look at some of there work first!

Again to be honest, if there were noises I think I would have investigated what was going on, not just keep driving it, and hope for the best. :confused:

Alot of guys just don't understand bags are going to put way more stress on the suspension than was ever intended, but as long as the work is up to par a fully bagged car can very easily be driven every day, but you are going to have to pay attention to you car, and keep up the maintenence.

Or... you can just pay someone to bag it, not have a care in the world and apparently not even look underneith it, then drive it till it falls apart..... and get pissed off about it.

23. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

That is some fucked up shit man! Good luck getting it back on the road. Post pics when its done.

24. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

There are a lot of hacks in the air ride crowd. I think its probably because air ride got a lot more popular within the last 10 years, and everyone wants to do it now. And with the affordability of cheap (rear insufficient) welders out there, anyone can!

Running a shop, I get a lot of people asking for prices. Thinking they are too high they say something like "Well my buddy said he could do it for $1200." This is where my slogan came from. "If you can find it cheaper, I can fix it." Sometimes they come back, and its usually bad. I've got a vehicle that came in today with a similar situation. Bag mounts broke off, and after looking at it, the frame is cracked in a few areas, and it needs a LOT of work to make it right. Much more than it would have cost the first time. And sometimes the increase in price drives people away too.

I come from a fairly small town, and there are probably 4 or 5 shops in the area doing air ride that I know of, within 20 miles. I've fixed work from half of them so far. Theres a shop within walking distance from my shop, and he does pretty clean work from what I have seen, but I hear his rates are a lot higher than mine, and its basic work (not in a bad way). But I have talked to him about suspension geometry, and it seemed like it all went over his head. I think anyone designing suspension should at least know the basics of Instant Center, Roll Center, Roll Steer and Anti-Squat at the very least.

Anyways, I would like to end with this. Not all air ride shops are hack shops. Some places still take pride in their work. You just have to find the one that does.

Sorry to get off topic and go off on a rant. I will post some pictures of a little good work. I don't always get HAMB friendly cars in my shop, but suspension is suspension.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. 63Compact

63Compact

I've seen the Herpie in person and I thought of that car when looking at the pics, hope it all works out for ya.

26. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I shoulda recognized the welds...I see them every day...
    because I drive a car he built!!! :D:D:D
    The Flying Monkey!!!

:eek::eek::(;):rolleyes:

27. quandel_garage

quandel_garage

I personally installed a lot of air ride equipment and there are so many things wrong with that, I don't know where to begin. That looks like something you would see the guys with the mini trucks do.!

28. slamdpup

slamdpup

dude im a minitrucker ,hotrodder,custom rdder..minitruckers are the ones that perfected bags and 4 links...i will agree theres some truckers out there aswell as hotrodders doin very shittie work...that was a shit job tho

29. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

once I saw Switchblade post I knew the gig was up... shame...

30. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Damn...and here all this time I thought it was heavy truck manufacturers that perfected bags, and racers that perfected four links...???
    :D;)