Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Traditional Upholstery: Fat Lucky's Takes on the Silva Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JohnJoyo, Oct 10, 2008.

1. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Whatever. amature work at best.

I should mention I am looking at something I attempted to re-cover. Fat Lucy's work is bitchin, as always.

2. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Turning GREEN with envy.

3. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

that looks amazing! how many man hours do you get into something like that?

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That's a pretty nice interior. Is the lack of a back seat due to spare tire storage or is that carpet knubblies in that front to back shot without the seat in it.

5. 4tford

4tford

Badass and it must smell good too!

6. Lost1

Lost1

7. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Beautiful work that is so right for such a cool hotrod. Fat Luckys (and Austin Speed Shop) rule!

8. Deadender60

Deadender60

Dj Quik was in the MuthaF#ckin house?

Oh yeah.. the car looks good...

-Juan

9. -slim-

-slim-
    from Montreal

Now that's art !

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Now check it out... I been rockin' bitches like it ain't shit cuz I'm a fly mutha fudda named DJ quick.

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Looks REAL good.........question, is there a backseat or is the gas tank under the cover?

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

12. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Looks absolutely Killer!!

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I can $till $mell it...ten grand well $pent. (not counting the $eat)...:eek:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Deadender60

Deadender60

It's Tech week Ryan so please keep it on topic before the thread gets closed.. haha..

Salinas..is just like Compton... Austin... is just like Compton..

-Juan

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am a critic of fenderless A sedans on A rails (probably because I built one) since so many just dont look right proportionally to my eye. (overly chopped or channeled or just thrown together with no detail)

This may be the best looking A sedan on A rails I have ever seen. the outside look is really nice but the Fat lucky interior puts it over the edge. Flat incredible and the bench mark for a sedan if i ever build one again

16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

17. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Was? He still is.....

18. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

The seat is made by a guy named Frank in Colorado. He makes all sort of handmade aluminum stuff......he's a madman with those rivets! If you need to contact him, I've got his info......He did an incredible job.

19. Kustm52

Kustm52

Maybe I just don't get it, but what's the deal with the red wheel?

Brian

20. eightbanger

eightbanger

Absolutely beautiful, My mission for the roundup 09 is to meet Sean and discuss a plan for a new interior for my 65 Riv. Can't wait!

21. Cshabang

Cshabang

thats effin sweet!!!! Hope someday to have Sean do an an interior for me...

22. Bull

Bull

Wow . . . just . . . WOW! And Doc, you've got orders to contact me if you ever want to let this one go from your collection. :)

23. fatluckys

fatluckys

Thanks for the kind words everybody. That car was a whole lot of work squeezed into a short amout of time, but like John said, it was worth it.

The lack of rear seat is because the frame is kicked up pretty high in the back. I raised the floor up just high enough to cover the crossmember. Kevin had the stainless strip idea, inspired by an old Jag, but I didn't really understand it from the description I got , so I just did what I thought would look good. So I guess it's sort of secondhand vintage British inspired. I carved out a little storage area behind the seat, but there's no spare tire or gas tank under there.

The red wheel was already in the sedan when I got it. It seems to be a sort of love it or hate it kind of thing, and I loved it, so it stayed, at least for now.

24. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

The wheel was put in by the builder of the car. Some people love it some people don't. It's funny though, I heard a number of people over the weekend say that the red steering wheel makes the car for them. I also heard a lot of people say "what's the deal with the steering wheel". Maybe it's like a red door on a house? I kinda go back and forth on it, but I'm used to seeing it by now so I hardly notice it. If Doc likes it that's what matters though

25. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, over the top sweet! You have to feel like royalty riding in that. That sets one hell of a new standard for interiors.

26. sinticket

sinticket

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

HOLY COWHIDES!! Wow, NICE!

Looks like a tasteful, simple old timey hot rod on the outside, then you hit the interior and it's like you're in some kind of sick, erotic dream.....
    Wow.

28. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Awesome as always!! One of the many cool things is the Hughes aircraft tag on the seat. Is that a repro?

29. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Amazing work Sean! I'm stunned. The first pictures, before the seat went in, if somebody told me that it was inside a Rolls Royce I belive I would have thought so....

30. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Well, here's the story of how the Silva Speed Special came to rest in the Huston garage. I had seen the sedan at the Roundup and fell in love with it. One night I saw where Kev had put it up for sale. Twenty minutes from the time it was listed, I was on the phone with Ryan. Soon after, I was on the line with Kev and a deal was struck. I know that he wasn't really sure about selling the car,so I jumped quickly before he came to his senses and changed his mind.

Those Texas guys had done a pretty good job on the car so far, so I figured i'd just let them run With it. Ryan agreed to design the interior and he and Kevin already had an idea on how they would like to see the car finished. Their ideas and Shaun's skills turned out to be a killer combination. I contacted John and he said that they could get the car ready even with the tight deadline. The only thing I really did was okay the leather sample. It was a little strange just letting them loose on my car. I usually know exactly what I want in my cars so this was a first for me. The Austin contingent just came together and some magic happened. I could not be more please with the way the car turned out. I'm going to the garage now to smell my new Fat Lucky interior. I appreciate all of the positive comments.

Oh yeah, about that steering wheel. I'm not really sure about it either, but Monique really likes it. So I guess it stays for now.

Doc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008