Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you drive your old car daily?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stizzealth, May 9, 2008.

1. !!! That is more than strange. That is downright suspicious. 400Ms are notorious pigs. Obviously you're doing it wrong!:)

2. Keith English

Keith English

I drive my 53 every day, It rattles and smokes alittle when you leave a stop light. you know the usual for a 50+ year old car. Has a 235 with newer 3 speed and open drive 63 impala rear end. Only draw back is top speed on the interstate is about 55-60 mph. Got a T-5 tranny for it though hopefully it will go in when I take a Vac from work this summer.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

I will drive my 57' Pontiac every day when its on the road except for winter. I have a winter beater so I am not too worried.

I have driven many old cars daily and they may have more noise to them, or a bit rougher ride, but I find that not only are they ust as reliable as modern cars, they seem to get the same gas milage.

4. 9fingerdoug

9fingerdoug
    from VA

heck yea! current trucks been running 3 1/2 yrs; got 65k on odometer
    it's a bit rougher ride; it's louder & leaks oil out & rain in
    but it hauls all my stuff & is way fun to drive

5. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

I drive my 64 Galaxie wagon daily. I love it! No carpet, a hole starting in the floor, an exhaust leak that's being near impossible to stop. Gotta close the tailgate just the right way or the rear glass doesnt operate. Wouldn't trade any of these minor nusances for something newer. It's the bumping cam, barely idling at a stoplight, and roaring when the transmission kicks down to pass the next cell phone toting jackass driving the latest and supposedly greatest SUV that makes every shake, rattle, and shimmy worth it all.

6. relli

relli
    from Virginia

I drive a '64 chevy biscayne 5-6 days a week, about 80 miles each day to work and back. It has the OG 230 six cylinder w/ a holley weber 2 bbl and split manifolds from Langdon stovebolt. I shaved all the door handles this weekend, sprayed some primer and then drove it home. It's my only car.

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

every day , everywhere ! ..............

8. skwurl

skwurl

I used to drive mine more often. I still do about 3 times a eek. I would drive the hot rod to work at least once a week . Gas is too high and my right foot is too heavy for that now.My nissan itruck is almost 20 years old. Does that count?

9. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i drive my 39 sedan to work everyday.the worst part about it is that,we have alot of dumb drivers around here,and i cringe when i see how close they get somtimes.also my windsheild leaks,and you have to keep the drum brakes adjusted more often.

-danny

[​IMG]

10. I drive my 66 fairlane daily for about six years now. Yeah, every once in a while I get stuck on the road but a $100 part every once in a while is a hell of a lot more affordable that a $350 a month car payment, plus full coverage insurance and interest for 4 years! I plan on fixing up my 51 f-1 and making it my daily soon to give the fairlane a brake. Then it will be stroked and a sleeper :) I don't own a newer car and never will. What a rip off!

11. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

Yep, I drive an old car every day, thats all I own. my wife drives a 97 but other then that we are old car people. I can fix the old ones and they are cheaper, and the mileage doesn't matter too me. I don't burn but 1 tank every 2 weeks due to rotating cars everyday, and I have found that some of my cars get 18 mpg and others get 22 - 24 mpg. so If you look at that its not that much less then a new car. and if you figure in a $500 tune up on computer controled shit box, vs a $60 one on my old car I do myself , plus tags, taxes, ins, are cheaper. But I live in ks and don't have to fight LA traffic, might be different out there, I was a nervous wreck driving my stude , galaxie, cadillac in LA, what if some IDIOT ON A CELL hits me. I guess it would be a fatality acc. his neck snaped on impact of the streering wheel.............

12. My coupe is more reliable than my daily driver, but it's just not practical. I drive 20 miles one way in DFW Freeway traffic. I've had more than my fair share of close calls. I would be a nervous wreck if I drove my rod everyday. Plus, I like 30 MPG a lot more than 15. Not to mention, the insurance will not cover it if driven daily.

By the way, you don't have make car payments, I don't. You can buy something reliable for commuting for 5k or less.

13. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I drive mine when I can. If I lived in Cali where the weather is almost always perfect, I would drive mine more. I work at home, but have to go see customers. In summer you got to have A/C here and in the winter you got to have heat. My T-bird has heat but with the paint, I won't park it in ANY parking lots and leave it. Before I sold my coupe, I drove it more but with no heat or A/C it was limited also. Wish I could drive them all the time, just can't or won't?:D

14. drive my 62 falcon everyday, most reliable car i have ever had. In my experience the fords i have had have been far more reliable than my GM cars.then old jeeps are another story entirely! but have loved drivin everyone of them. Just could'nt bring myself to drive a modern car on a regular basis they are too devoid of character.

15. Retrorod

Retrorod

Mine is driven daily, I have a 30 mile round trip to work and because of the efficient induction system and really matched/correct gearing I get over 20 mpg. I found it necessary to discard the old crank-out windshield frame and installed the windshield with "newer technology" in order to prevent water leaks. That's also the reason I filled the roof (thanks Bobby Walden!). I didn't make these and a few other changes because I wanted "coolness"...........this was done to make the car a better daily driver. It's insured through the Auto Club as a regular passenger car with no collision or comprehensive coverage so I hope I don't crunch it myself. I do have "underinsured idiot coverage". I refuse to install a radio, I don't need it, I have to pay attention to my driving.

I have a new Chevy HHR SS turbo also but I'd rather drive my hot rod........ANYBODY can own a new car, all you need is half-assed credit.....not many people can drive a 1935 Ford Tudor to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  16. Drive my panel just about everyday...decent mileage plus I can throw a ton of tee shirts in the back when going to a show or delivering to a customer

17. My '55 Chevy wagon has been my only car for over a year now. 17 miles each way to work in bumper to bumper traffic, it rains every day and I'm running bais plys. 283 with a T-5. Wouldn't have it any other way.

18. I drive my Hup every day. 292, auto, OD, AC, cruise, power everything but locks. 25 mpg back and forth to work, 17 miles each way.

19. Pretty much...
    Spring,
    [​IMG]

Summer,
    [​IMG]

Winter,
    [​IMG]

20. Terry

Terry

Everyday, everywhere.

Attached Files:

21. H3O

H3O

i drive mine all the time, when it doesn't break down on me!

Attached Files:

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It's a 45-min drive to and from work, so I don't drive it EVERY day. But I guess I can, if I don't mind sweating and smelling like exhaust once I get here. ahhahahahaahaaa

Now that it's nice outside, I drive it to work once or twice a week. They stay driveable when they get driven.

[​IMG]

What rattles? Is "everything" too broad? :D

23. bigolds

bigolds

Not daily, cause I gotta work truck. But I do drive them when I want to run errands and stuff. I do get tired of drivin a truck all the time; so taking either the Olds or my girls Falcon is alot more fun!!!!

24. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

This is my daily driver, not HAMB friendly but it is driven...rain-ex works wonders...S-10 frame shortened 14 inches...this drives like a dream and handles great....snow sux!

Attached Files:

25. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

[​IMG]

I drive the green one everyday and the black one on occasion (the black one is a gas hog and handfull to drive in the rain and snow so i park it for the winter).

my newest vehicle is a 30 year old one ton 4x4 truck that I tow with.

26. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

My signature says it all! Don't own no new crap! I put about 10,000 miles a year on my 65' C10 Panel Daily Driver! I rotate between my other three, (56' Bel-Air, 54' 3100, and 72' C10) :D

Attached Files:

27. Three years ago.

[​IMG]

On the track last fall.

[​IMG]

It's still a truck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  28. Because my daughter has my 97 Ford truck,,the 32 pickup has been my daily for the last month and a half,,,:rolleyes:

Before that time I would drive one of my hot rods 2 or 3 times a week.

[​IMG]

29. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I drive the touring, see avatar, every day weather permits. That would mean above 45 degrees and no heavy rain.

I woud guess that equates to 4 days a week year round.