Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buying a welder...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tumbler, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had several welders over the years and was always looking for a btter machine. I bought a Hobart Handler 187 two years ago andd this one isn't going anywhere - it's the best machine I've ever used for up to 5/16" material. I've welded some thicker stuff in multiple passes with good results. It's great on sheet metal, too. Super all-around welder for the home shop, at a very reasonable price.

2. brady1929

brady1929

i have a miller 175 and love it

3. Specialdeluxe

Specialdeluxe

+1

Couldn't be easier.

4. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I bought a BRAND NEW Lincoln 175HD off of ebay.... delivered to my door... for $451

I love it!

5. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

That makes sense then. I never really fully looked at the specs. I figured the dual voltage had to be the selling point.

Ed

6. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

Miller 252, does everything you need a welding machine to do.
    I am still getting to know the machine.

It was spendy, but I sold enough clean urine and sperm to pay for it :D

7. Was in your shoes a coupla years back.

In my opinion there is NO one welder for all jobs.

Decide what materials and thickness you are going to be welding.

Sheet metal and patch panels-get a 110 volt mig.

The 220 units such as the Miller 175s and 180 (the 175s are no longer being made) will not go low enough in amperage capacity to allow welding on thin sheet metal materials although everybody will tell you that it can be done-it cant.

The 220 units are best for frame repairs,roll bar and thicker material fabrication welding.

You really need 3 different welders :eek: ,110 mig,220 mig and a tig.

It really depends on what you are doing.

Oldmics

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

uhhh... bullshit... 18 and 20 gauge all the time... everyday... :eek:

I'm betting I'm not the only one either...

9. everyday... :eek:

Remember we are instructing a nube in welding.

Guys who do this everyday (I am not one) may be able to do 18 - 20.

However NOBODY could do it with my MM180.

Also check the specs and you will see what I mean.

Its what works for me.

Oldmics

MM180
    Miller "Cricket"
    Miller "Econotig"

10. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I have a Miller 210 for my Mig work. Yes it does sheet metal. In fact I use a spoolgun attachment for sheet aluminum work as well. The higher amperage units can be set up like mine(same as my tig) with a thumb wheel amperage control.
    Practice and experience are more valuable than a cheap deal on a welder. Lots of practice and classes may change your opinion on what welder you need (mig/tig/stick).
    If a price range is whats tailoring your search you need to look at respected name brands that are refurbished and warrantied.
    Just my 2 cents.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yes everday... and Switchblade327 here uses the same welder to do it as well.

It may be that way for you, but don't make a BS blanket statement. 220 welders can and do weld light gauge sheet steel fine.

We also told him to take some classes as well.

12. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

I would venture a guess that there are quite a few folks on here who weld for a living(I am one of them) that wouldn't even waste the time arguing with the blanket BS statement. A MM180 shouldn't blow through "if" being used properly. Then there's that whole "experience" thing that comes from doing it everyday.

13. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I bought a Lincoln 180 220 V machine it is a very nice home unit. Remember in addition to the welder you will need 220 power, a tank of gas,a cart (good first project) and an extension cord so you can weld anyplace in your garage and also in the driveway.Thus the true cost to get it running is at least $900.00 up.

14. dvmnorthwest

dvmnorthwest

I will also recommend Hobarts. It is my understanding that Miller owns Hobart, so many of their parts are the same. I bought a factory reconditioned Handler 180 (the new 187) from toolking.com for $520.00. I welded a bunch of stuff this summer and wished I had bought this unit a long time ago. Like stated earlier, a monkey can weld with it. It makes some really nice welds. Even came with a warranty.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  15. If your buying used,the 2 migs we have is an old Miller Matic 235 for chassis and a Lincon SP100 we use for sheet metal.

16. I just ordered a Miller Diversion 165 AC-DC TIG. It was pricey ($1280) but I have always wanted to learn TIG. It comes with a DVD and a booklet "TIG Welding For Dummies" LOL I'll give it a try next week and let you know but of course my opinions will be pretty worthless as I have no idea what I'm doing! I may just set up some "scrap" projects and get an experienced welder to come give me some lessons. Anyone in N.E. Florida want to teach for a couple hours?

17. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Miller got a lot of crap on their forums for that "dummies" book, and how that machine is "dumbed down":) A lot of guys who do it professionally don't like the idea of a hobby welder having to look at the ac/dc switch and see it labeled "aluminum/mild-ss" instead. The feeling is that guys are gonna try something above their skill level and someone will get hurt.

I think the machine fills a void in the market, as long as the operators understand their own limitations. For under 1300, that machine should be a steal! Have fun with it, feel free to ask questions as you go!

-Josh

18. Thanks Josh, I do have one question before I get zapping. I have had my eyes lazer corrected and it worked out real well but I have heard that we "lazer vision" guys have problems with "auto darkening" helmets. I will of course buy a helmet at the same time I get my consumables. Any suggestions on helmet lens?

19. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Here's a good place for welders... http://cyberweld.com/
    Great prices....
    I have a Hobart Handler 135, bought @ 7 years ago and I'm very happy with it. Never a problem.
    But it wasn't big enough for some of the larger projects I want to do. So I ordered a Hobart Handler 187 from Cyberweld. Had it in a week. Couldn't be happier....welds really nice.

Absolutely let us know how ya like it. I've never tried TIG, but would like to get a machine and learn it. Post your results.

20. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

The nicer helmets all have pretty quick darken times. I love my jackson nexgens, they darken consistenly and have nice sized viewing areas. I keep my shade pretty dark, usually a 10. One of the best welders I know had laser surgery, and he said it did wonders for him!

-Josh

21. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

If I may ask.

Will a 110 Volt outlet lightweight Miller suffice on approx 20 gauge sheet metal for body panels? I am looking for consistancy of weld quality with long duty time. If so, what Miller model?

Thank you.

22. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

http://store.cyberweld.com/mimigwemi140.html

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_140_autoset/

This is the millermatic 140. The duty cycle is 20% @ 90 amps, which is what my DVI-2 is on 110 and I've never had it kick out on me doing thin stuff. I don't really do sheet metal too often though, maybe someone else with a little more experience can chime in.

-Josh

23. OK update on my new Miller Diversion 165. Went and bought some filler rod and argon. Now my argon is "allgone" LOL I got the 20 cu. ft. might get a spare! Anyway I made some practice beads on some scrap and after 15 minutes I started getting the hang of it. This is the easiest electric welding I've ever tried! So my first project was a 15 inch wide rim I got from Rally America. It had a pin hole leak and rather than dis-mount the tire and send it back then re-paint the new one I figured I could just Tig a bead over the hole with the tire still on! LOL you know what happened next LOL Yup, I started trying to weld over the pin hole but everytime I got close smoke and sparks and fouled tip! WTF? Ground down my bead and tried several times with no luck! Then it dawned on me! Gotta keep Oxygen out of the puddle, what argon is for right? YES I did have air in the tire and yes it was coming out as I was welding LOL My bead looked great until it got to where my Oxygen injection system messed it up real good LOL Once I let out the air it welded up real nice! Well I thought it was funny!!!