Register now to get rid of these ads!

where's the chuck key??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Jim, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

tired of not being able to find the drill press chuck key when you need it?
    Sure you can keep in in the chuck, but what about when your using the drill press ?
    Eazy open the top lid and in the fron corner place a 5/16" hole as close to the corner as possible and still get the key towards the corner.
    This keeps it from getting into the pully. really simple??

jim h:cool:
    [​IMG]

[

2. I bought an oooollllllldddd Rockwell International press from a retiring friend when he closed his machine shop. He had the chuck twisted onto a long wire attached to the back of the motor. Unfortunately, it was the only chuck he had and it was the wrong one. Told me he used a punch and a hammer on the chuck teeth. LOL. I bought a new chuck and key. ;)

3. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ok im gonna assume your not stupid .. When keeping the key in the chuck i hope its actually chucked up like a drill ? Leaving it in the chuck like your gonna tighten a drill is dangerous... Of course i work in a shop with a lot of idiots..:) I have a hole on the table on my drill press where i always place the chuck key when im done with it.. I never have to look for it its there..
    Dave

4. woodscavenger

woodscavenger
    from idaho

I use a rare earth magnet epoxied to my drill press and it sticks to that really well. I also use the same thing for an allen wrench for my table saw top insert and some of my lathe parts. Works great.

5. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

They did some kick ass tunes.... I didnt know they were also in the magnet business:confused:
    Dave

6. thrasher

thrasher

i used one of these little key reels, makes it really hard to lose the key.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

i weld a length of chian to the press, and attatch the key with a key ring or carabiner. ive found this to be best, this way you cant accidentally pocket it for losing at a later time

8. +1.

9. woodscavenger

woodscavenger
    from idaho

Why would your key be "loose"?

10. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

:) :) :)

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

I been using a screwdrive and hammer so long that the chuck teeth won't accept the key any more.

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Thats fucked up.. Proper tool for the job. Shit lasts a lot longer that way...
    Dave

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Use the janitor key chain deal too. For the key, I have it tapped into a wooden file handle, so I can get better leverage (easier on the fingers, too). In the end of the wooden handle is a small eye-hook, which is threaded onto the key ring.

-Brad

14. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Velcro on the dog's collar. He's always laying there watching anyway. Works for the tv remote too.

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well im in machine repair at work and i started as a tool maker when i was 13 .... Ok but dad started teaching me so heres the deal... If you have to extend the end of the chuck key you either have a dull or improperly ground drill bit or your trying to feed it too fast and last but not least your chuck is fucked up and if you can afford to build a damn car why cant you afford to buy a new god damn chuck? Sorry but i deal with shit like this all day and it makes me crazy ! Again ...............................THE PROPER TOOLS TO DO THE JOB
    Dave

16. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Oh ya remember also its a drill press .. Not a fucking punch press.. there is a difference ya know ..
    :)
    Im better now
    :) :)
    Dave

17. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Lighten up Francis

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

19. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

damn good idea guys! hell, i bought a few of them for all our rentals.... but i got such a "Schneider" vibe from the tenants, i put them in a desk drawer!:D now ill have a reason to break them out again!
    still hoping for Valarie Bernoulli to attack me on the job!:D

20. I used a 5/16 's cable clamp screwed to the belt cover. Stick the end of the chuck key in it.

21. Cruiser

Cruiser

I like this magnet idea. I have several chuck keys in a 3X5X2 medal box that I keep mine in right by the drill press. There's ones for the drill press and the hand held drills etc. use it put it back.

CRUISER :cool:

22. At college, on the regular drills, they'd braze a washer onto the key and use that to hang the key on the power cord. For a drill press, I don't know why you couldn't braze a light chain link to it, and bolt the other end on someplace. Leave it loose so it can rotate around the bolt, though.

For my reciprocating saw that uses an allen wrench, I just bought a cheap set of folding allen wrenches with a bright red case. Harder to lose that one.

23. must be old age settin in

24. spooler41

spooler41

I solved the chuck problem, I use a keyless chuck on my most used drill press.

........Jack

25. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

I keep my chuck key up top in the case as well. I have never had it get into the pulley but, the hole is a good idea.

26. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I just leave my chuck key laying around. I keep hearing that the hunt is 1/2 the fun, so everytime I need my chuck key I do the hunt thing. Doesn't seem like much fun to me, must be missing something.......I mean besides the chuck key.

The hunt is real exciting when your in a hurry to drill a hole and can't find the key. My tool box sits beside the drill press, usually the key ends up in one of 3 drawers. Someday I might actually do something about the key situtation, just not today. Gene

27. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I have had my chuck key on a heavy nylon string for 20 years, also have the taper wedge on a heavy nylon string too.

28. When I got the drill press from my pal Randy he left the cool swedged wire key hanger and key with it, light wire, always hanging to the rear of the press.

29. i love fucked up machinery! keep using that screwdriver dude because that called "job security"!:D:D

30. i have seen jims shop he musta just found it today...in this hole under the cover like the picture shows where the wood dust is absent :D:D:D:D:D:D

me i'm trying to remember where i last saw one of my drill presses the chuck thingie should beclose by