Register now to get rid of these ads!

6v to 12 v question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by new wave terror, Oct 8, 2008.

1. new wave terror

new wave terror

Hows it done?!DO you have to change wiring or anything or is it as simple as just putting in a 12 volt battery?

2. skwurl

skwurl

Well. you might wanna change all of your bulbs, put a ballast resistor on your coil,an alternator. i'm sure i'm forgetting something.

3. Vic

Vic
    from Florida

It's not as easy as just installing a 12 volt battery but it is a relatively easy conversion. First you need to have a good, serviceable wiring harness (6 volt wiring is fine) and, depending on the year and make of car you want to convert, you'll have to do several things. I've converted a few of our Flathead Fords and Lincolns from 6 volt positive ground to 12 volt negative ground. You'll need to get a 12 volt generator or alternator, voltage drop unit(s) if you intend to use the original gauges, 12 volt light bulbs, etc. In Flathead Fords you can get away with using the 6 volt starter however, you run the risk of snapping the Bendix spring (I've had some that lasted several years and some that didn't last two weeks. You can use the original 6 volt horn relay but you'll have to swap out the solenoid, etc. There are videos and written instructions available from various places.

Hope this helps.

4. zzford

zzford

You will need a volt-a-drop resistor for your gauges. Speedway among alot of other places have them.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

what car?
    or truck?
    there are a ton of threads already on this subject..try searching exactly what you typed in as your title to this thread in the search box.
    If its a 53-54 chevy i have an entire list of bulbs and other things you will need to do it..pm me

6. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

7. new wave terror

new wave terror

8. new wave terror

new wave terror

Weird deal.I ended up taking the battery to the store and trading it in.I thought it was a 6 volt but its actually a 12 wich I wouldnt think it would be.Its in a 54 f 250 that looks completely stock.Its got the Y block in it so its kind of defying to me.Did the 54s have 12 volts in them?I bought the truck from a guy who just put the battery in about 3 weeks ago.But if it wasnt the right size battery wouldnt it fry everything inside?Its been running good except for draining on me today wich is probably a problem I need to check into.Thanks for all your guys help.Sorry if all this seems very newbie of me but thats what I am.Except Im a newbie with like 3 different projects.Haha.

9. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Sounds like your truck has already been converted...Ask the person you got it from before changing anything.

Glenn