Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which Flathead is this...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M_S, Oct 7, 2008.

1. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

...and how much should I be asking for it?

I am pretty positive it is not original to the car ('32 fordor). If it's worth something I'll get rid of it (to help fund the car). If not, I may just tear into it to and look around. I love the old Carter on it.

Let me know if you need better pics or different angles.

Thanks.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Flathead</td></tr></table>

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Flathead</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. The motor is 48-53 vintage. The heads look to read ?CM, that is the desirable Canadian Mercury. Already has a 4 barrell. I would rethink that move, this motor would be cool as hell in a 32 anything.

3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Its either a Ford 8BA or Mercury 8CM, both late model Flatheads.It will say either 8BA or 8CM on the cylinderheads.I think this model of Flathead first saw the light of day in 1949(Could be wrong)

4. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

You guys are quick!

Just went out and looked.

Above the center bolts on the head is an "F". Below that in large letters is "EAC" and just above the "EAC is a tag that reads "3222".

5. Ole don

Ole don

That intake and carb is a hot setup. Hope you can find a tag on the carb.

6. Cm heads would be the Canadian Merc motor, that had the crank with the stroke everyone is looking for. If they are CM heads the next to do would be confirm the crank stroke. Pull head or pan to confirm by measuring. If it is a Canadian Merc they were produced 48-54, production in US stopped in 53.

I don't know, I would be hard pressed to remove that motor. Someone did alot to get it in there, There is even and old vintage electric fuel pump on the firewall

7. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Can't find a tag on the carb but it looks like "WCFD" is cast in the front of the body under "Carter".

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

EAC is '52-3 Merc, though heads don't necessarily match innards. Nothing Canadian in anything mentioned here...C for Canada goes at beginnings of year prefixes.
    What's under the carb...is it on an adaptor, or is that an actual iron 4-barrel manifold??

9. john walker

john walker

WCFB probably. corvettes used them, among others.

10. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

The car came from Ohio and has not been on the road for about 40 years.

It is a Cast iron intake (no adapter), but I don't see any stampings on it.

11. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Motor and heads have the 52-53 Ford color, but it looks like that was painted over another color. Don't trust the heads to determine if Ford or Merc crank inside. You should measure the stroke to be sure. The motor has the 51-53 narrow belts, but, again, anything could have been bolted on. Remember, the block for 49-51 is the same whether Ford or Merc. Same applies to the 52-53 blocks but they came without the hard valve seat inserts.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've never seen or heard of an iron 4-barrel manifold for a flathead...that is interesting.

13. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I know that when this car was on Ebay there were quite a few people asking him to sell the intake only.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

No reason to get rid of it, it looks at home right now, mabey clean it up a little

15. alchemy

alchemy

Don't spout missinformation.

16. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

It failed the magnet test so I scraped some paint off. It's aluminum.

17. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I already have a new chassis/drivetrain for it so just about everything except the body is going get sold.

18. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

dont tell me, sbc with a turbo hydramatic?

sell the new drivetrain and chassis and put that towards the car... flatmotors rule

19. dudley32

dudley32

does it run??

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford grammar: 8CM is an American Merc prefix; C8CM is Canadian.

21. I thought most canadian flatheads came with an aluminum intake. And just because it's a "canadian" engine does not mean it's got a 4" crank. They came both ways.

edit: sorry, I missed the post saying there was aluminum under that paint.

22. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I guess I just wanted to be original. I've seen more flatheads than Harley's lately.

23. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Don't know yet, but I'll bet flatheads are like VW's. If it'll turn, it'll fire.

I'll monkey with it this weekend and see if it spins.

24. Big Todd

Big Todd
    from Ferrum Va.

Don't waste your time on that old thing! Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for ya!:D

25. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i wanna hang out with you so i can see all these flatmotors. want to be original... with an SBC?

let me clue you in a bit. there isnt much you can do today to be original. because there isnt much that hasnt been done in one form or another. to that end, all of us are copycats.

26. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

If you want someone that will really do the best job the first time when you rebuild that carb, or any carb for that matter, contact Sean @ Sean Murphy Induction in Huntington Beach. Best carb tech I have ever met.

27. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

My point exactly.

28. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I'm just curious, why were people pulling flats out of cars right around the 60's and installing other V8's? I'm just trying to understand the context of your "flatmotors rule" comment.

29. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"OFFY" made a 4 bbl intake for flatheads shortly after the 4 bbl carbs. were introduced to the industry.----------Don:)

30. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

Was this iron or aluminum? I could find no marks on the intake but it is definitely aluminum. I would assume if mine were an Offy it would be all over the top of it. It would be nice to know what is on it.