Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need your input

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cowboy1, Oct 6, 2008.

1. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Hi Guys, I'm installing a subframe on my Plymouth but, I have a small problem. My little 110v Lincoln welder can't handle it and I'm not the greatest welder in the world. I call a few welder I found in the phone book but they didn't seam totally interested in doing it. I found a local guy and spent about 2 hours talking to him about my project and cars in general. When I asked him for a ball park figure he said " he will charge by the amount of time spent on it" that's fine but what's is going to cost me by the hour?? He seams real knowledgeable and is a certified welder. I want to hire him to do it but, what do you think the going rate is for a welder? I need your input so when I talk to him next time I can nail him down to an hourly rate.

2. rusty48

rusty48

I welded my subframe with a 120 volt welder then borrowed a big portable stick welder from a friend and burnt it in good.Maybe you could rent one,might be worth checking on.

3. upzndownz

upzndownz

if he comes to you with his equipment i'd think $50-$60an hour would be a normal rate// the thing is to have everything all set up and accessable for him to work with no wasted time

4. Most of the mobile guys in my area charge $65-90.00 per hour to come out and weld.

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

110volt lincoln welder can do most frame work for a rod,

the problem is 110volt lincoln welders overheat even with a extra fan on them, they still weld when hot but welds look like shit even for a pro, your probally good for about 20 min a day welding at that htick metal,

220volt stick welders are real low price home dept has small lincoln stick welders $250_ 400

6. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Have you considered going to an Equipment Rental place and just renting a bigger welder?

Also, try the local Community College. If they have a skills center that teaches welding, they will do it for material cost.

7. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

My welding skill are not the greatest. I've done a few things around the house but, a frame is somthing I want done right the first time around. I don't want a failure in the highway killing me or anyone else around me. I thought about the welding school but ,I can;t move the car now from it's current location.

8. find some pieces of metal that are similar in thickness and practice on them first. the welder you have can do the job but it will be slow. you could go to the library and read some books on mig welding plus their are sites online with lots of good info. make sure you tack the subframe first and then recheck your measurments you took before you started. "slow and steady" post some pic's of your project.

9. Is there someone local that has a Lincoln 225 that you can borrow? You should be welding up in the 130-140 amp range for chassis work. But I like the idea of a pro doing the real structural work. Ask around the local stock car guys, they're always looking for ways to make extra $$$ for their race cars.

Bob

10. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Why not just ask the guy what his hourly rate is? I know how you feel about welding on a frame. I built a frame from 2 X 4 7ga. sq. tubing and I tacked it all with my 110 mig. I have done a lot of mig welding where I was working then but my 110 was too small in my opinion. I could have taken the frame to work and welded it but my brother was a welder at a structural fab shop, a place that does steel frame buildings and highway overpasses. He brought over his stick welder and did all my final welding, I was very comfortable with that.....besides, he owed me for painting the flames on his '34...:D If you're not comfortable with your skill definately have a pro do it!

11. I would get it all mocked up and tacked together with your 110 and then get the guy top come over and weld it up. No need to pay a guy to do work that you can do yourself. If you have it ready to go it shouldn't take him very long to finish welding it. You have the right idea about getting someone else to weld it up if you are not comfortable.

12. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Even at $100/hr, I would pay up to 2hrs to make sure the subframe is welded right. Like everyone said, Have whatever needs to be welded ready for him to not waste any time. Offer him a beer after the work is done and not during.

13. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Thanks for the input guys. I got it all tacked in placeand cut templets for the plateing. I'm thinking 4 hours tops!