Register now to get rid of these ads!

What air compresser should I buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Oct 5, 2008.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Like to run various air tools. What air compresser should I buy. Also where to buy. We have home depot near us and tsc. The cost range on some of these are 1800$. Need some advice please..

2. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

For the money I'd buy a Quincy or a Curtis if you can find them in your area.

3. Big Dad

Big Dad

Call Donnie or Mike .. see the sticker on mine, great guys will answer all questions, service what they sell, sell parts. can drop ship anywhere

4. I have a 60 gallon, 220v, 5hp (maybe 6, can' remember) twin cylinder single stage Cambell Hausfeld. I used it at home for about 4 years and then it went to my shop where it ran 6 days a week for 4 years. I never had any problems with it, although if we were doing a lot of DA sanding we were at it's limits. Occasionally had to let it catch up. Not too often that would happen. Paid about $500.00 for it.
    I have a 3hp Craftsman oil less at home - would NEVER buy one again (oil less that is, Craftsman are fine) it's too damn noisy, like a giant BUZZ all the time - hate it!
    Had a Craftsman 3 hp, 220v, twin 40 gallon horizontal for over 20 years, no problems. Gave it to a bud when I got the C-H, still working fine!

If you have a big pro shop - whole nother story

5. demon452

demon452
    from Michigan

Quincy, Curtis, or Saylor Beall you can spend less Money but it won't last as long. Plus you can't find a rebuild kit's and or replacement parts if you need them. Most cheaper brands, switch models and rebuild kits are not avaiable.

6. FASI

FASI

I have a Saylor - Beall for sale in the classifieds. Check it out, I am in Michigan

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Did you leave out a "."? I think you were recommending Quincy, Curtis and Saylor-Beal, which I agree with but your post left me wondering.

8. Ramblur

Ramblur

9. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I sell diesel engines to Atlas Copco in Rock Hill, SC for their large portable air compressors. On my last sales call I noticed they are now producing 60 and 80 gallon garage type air compressors. I know their portable air compressors are high quality, I can only assume their smaller ones are as well.

10. A used American-made compressor will outlast a new Chinese, and probably be cheaper.

11. 8mpg

8mpg
    from Texas

I have the same compressor and never had a problem. 60 has been big enough to do everything I need it to do, including laying down some paint and sandblasting. Had it about 5 years. I probably should change the oil sometime soon.

12. storm king

storm king

I just bought a Kaeser 30 hp compressor, a bit beyond what you'd like to spend for sure. But i noticed at Memphis last week that CP has a similar compressor, which is to say a virtually silent screw type unit. They make them up to 15 hp. I'd check into one of them. Much more energy efficent; and did I mention almost silent?

13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Looking at a Craftsman 80 gal. 5.4 hp 13.3 scfm. It's 899$ and thats my price range. Plus it's in town for pick up. Like to run a DA and a hplv paint gun and maybe a portable sand blaster. Is this a good unit for the money?

14. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I bought an 1948 Quincy.... large 80 gallon tank, and two stage pump. It was $20 at a garage sale and froze up, with a junk electric motor. New motor off of eBay, and a rebuild kit for the pump, and I have a large, bad-ass, american made compressor, that really is a tried and true workhorse. Parts are still available for these old pumps... its the same basic design Quincy uses today. Motor was about $250 I think, and the rebuild kit was about the same. I think I have less than $500 in the whole thing, and alot of compressor.

15. 5window

5window

I just got one of these, too. From TSC. I had a coupon and paid about $360, but they list for about $400. Lowe's has the same Model, but in blue. 220volt and delivers over 11CFM at 90 psi.

16. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

i bought the craftsman single stage 110volt compressor and it cant even think about keeping up with a d/a it the 40 gallon tank i think. but i got cheap when i bought it so you get what you pay for

17. HotRod33

HotRod33

The size of the tank really does not matter a 60 or 80 gallon is fine. It is the cfm that the compressor makes that is important. To keep up with a da sander you should get a 2 cylinder single stage compressor not a 2 cylinder 2 stage compressor as these make for higher pressure but do not produce alot of cfm. One that is driven by a 5 hp 220 single phase motor should work well in a home garage

18. I have an old quincy, too. Got it for $150 including a 7 1/2 H.P. Montgomery Wards gas engine. I gave him an extra $50 for a BIG electric motor, and H.A.M.B.er Xtralow60 gave me an old tank he had at his shop. Should be better than the noisy oilless I have now.

19. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Went with hotrod33 numbers and came up with Easton. Anyone know anything about them. Looks like a nice rig for the money. Thanks everyone for the input.

20. I did a TON of research into compressors at the beginning of the year - ended up with a Curtis Toledo CA series. I looked at Eaton, Ingersol Rand, Quincy, Champion, Curtis, etc.. The 3 that I would consider are Champion, Quincy and Curtis - depending on what unit features and $$$ you're going to spend. You really need to know the accessories you want, how shipping/taxing is handled, electrcial hook-up, etc.. --- and also where components are manufactured and how warranty is handled.

Take a very close look at where the compressor pump itself is manufactured, where the motor is manufactured, where the starter is manufactured, etc.. The CA series is a great compressor - has a US made compressor, has a Baldor motor (not China or South America), Square D starter, etc..

If you're in the $1500 to $2000 range - look at Champion and Curtis. The best price that I found was at "Wayne Vaughn" in IN. Also, their sales guy did an excellent job and their technical support was excellent (had questions on the starter wiring).

Here is the guy "Shane" that I talked to: '[email protected]'

If you need any more info, PM me.

Best of luck, Dale

21. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

My buddy has a curtis, that thing is a definitely quality unit. I, on the other hand, had a bunch of gift certificates to Home Depot and am currently on a tight budget, so bought one of these. I was really skeptical about buying this but I am very happy with it for the limited use I have. It runs very quiet and since the tank pressure is alot higher than the norm, it is comparable to units with much larger tanks.
    http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=15014

22. 8-Track

8-Track

23. slim53

slim53

I got a C-aire. Built here in MN. Puts out 22.5 cfm @ 90psi. 5 hp, 80 gal. Paid $1200 but it was practically new. Only turns about 800 rpms so it's pretty quiet too. Another one built here is Cast Air. Same quality stuff with great tech support and supplies. Go big and stay away from the box stores. I just bought my dad a Craftsman A/C for father's day and you can't even think when it's running because of the noise.

Slim

24. themodernartist

themodernartist

I did a lot of comparisons based on what I needed and costs as related to other popular models. I finally settled on an Eaton Compressor from Eaton Ohio. Its made here in the USA and they don't make the compressor until you order it. The price of the compressor plus shipping was still less than buying the equivilant name brands such as Campbell Hausfield plus our state sales tax. You also get to choose your favorite color for it. Mine is much quieter than my old small Montgomery Ward model. I have yet to use as much air as it can supply when using my air tools.
    Peace,
    Chaz

Attached Files:

25. The guys at Eaton have great service and have a heck of an Internet business.

The only points that are worth making are that while it is assembled in the USA, the main components do not come from the the USA. The compressor is from China and the motor is a WEG - which comes from Brazil.

I'm not going to state that just because the components are made overseas that they are lower quality than ours (everybody has their own opinion). Personally, I like to keep as many MFG jobs and $$$ on shore as possible.

If you are buying new, then make sure you ask questions like:

a) "If the motor goes out - who fixes it?" Do I have to find a WEG service center . . . or does Eaton come out and fix it?

b) "If the compressor goes out - who fixes it?"

c) For All Major Components: Do I have to ship it back to the factory or are local service and PARTS available? How fast will the fixes take - and what should I expect? How long can you afford to have a unit down while waiting for parts and/or service? A business usually needs faster turn-around than a home user . . . but we all have expecations along this line.

Depending on where you live, there are different answers to these questions -- it is best to know up front. There may or may not be local service and parts available - everthing may need to go back to the factory . . . you need to know. In general, you'll find parts and service to be easier to find for long-established on-shore manufacturers . . . than newer companies. Just get the facts before you buy . . .

26. B-Man

B-Man

I too did lots of research on compressors about a year ago. I started looking at Lowe's and Home Depot, but quickly realized that they would not keep up with the work I wanted to do. Plus, I read of folks having problems.

I narrowed it down to Bel-Aire, Quincy, Champion, and Ingersoll-Rand (the industrial ones, not the consumer ones).

I settled on a Quincy and went with a 2 cyl. single stage with a 80 gallon tank. I got it from some place online. One of those discount tool sites. I paid about $1300 for it and it is amazing. The good compressors don't turn as fast as the cheap ones, meaning they last a lot longer and are much quieter. I can have a phone conversation 2 feet away from this thing. it is that quiet.

This is the one I got:
    http://www.tools-plus.com/quincy-1v41c80vc5.html

I love it.

27. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

i have that one I paid $749 for the clearance floor model from Costco. It works great, no problem keeping up with my sand blasting or air tools.
    It was a huge leap from one of those useless 110v 20gal oil less jobs.

28. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

If you have $$$ to spend on one, then by all means, follow what these guys are telling you. I happened to come across two "junk" compressors. One with a bad motor, the other with a bad compression head.......some angle iron, and a few black pipe fittings.....I think I have about 40 bucks into it. 42 gallon capacity, and it keeps up with impact wrenches, HVLP spraying, etc.

I call it Frankompressor...
    [​IMG]

29. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

IMHO buying new tools/equipment is NO DIFFERENT than buying a new car. You'll save a ton of money IF you buy GOOD USED stuff.

I recently bought a SUPER NICE industrial 5 hp vertical compressor for 200 bucks. Only catch was that it was 3 phase. So I sprung for a new Baldor single phase motor for another 200-225 and viola I have a virtually "new" compressor that had I bought new would have run me 1800 instead I've got 400-425 in it and a 1/2 days work changing motors. I have no doubt I can sell my compressor for more than I have in it. I also have no doubt I couldn't do that had I bought new.

A good compressor will last decades IF you take care of it. My last compressor (old Ingersol Rand) was a 1950's model. I bought it in the 80's ran it 20+ years and it was working perfectly when I let it go. Only reason I got rid of it was I needed more capacity for my blast cabinet.

So NEW or USED that's your call - to answer your question - get a US made Industrial model - leave the Sum Flung Dung stuff for someone else.