Register now to get rid of these ads!

Talk some sense into me (or not!) Offered a trade I'm not sure I can refuse...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

All right, here's the deal. I just had a guy come over to look at my 2 1950 Chevys I have for sale. Neither runs or drives. One is rusted to shit but complete. One is missing front sheet metal but has 70's Chevy front clip already installed. The complete coupe is in pieces and obviously needs work. I'm selling them as a pair. Okay.
    This guy is interested obviously, and is telling me about his other cars. One he mentions is a running/driving 48 F-1 Panel truck. Now, I would LOVE a panel truck, but I need the money more (I need to run power out to the garage and fix up my plow truck, etc.). He's selling off a bunch of things, but this is the only one that caught my interest. He's selling the panel outright for less than what I'm asking for my two cars, but I just don't have the money.
    On his way out, he offers to dicker on price and throw the panel in as a trade.
    I laugh and tell him I need the cash more and my wife would kill me if I got brought another old car home.

But now my wheels are turning. Would I be insane to turn this down? I mean, I get the impression I could get a running, driving panel truck (it has a 305, he said the only thing it needs is a power booster to make braking a little easier). and maybe $500 cash. I could probably get power into my garage for that much AND have a bitchin' truck that I could actually DRIVE around while I'm working on my Essex.
    Shit! What would you do?
    p.s. I broached the subject with my wife (she's showed mild interest in an old truck a few times, which is a lot more than she's shown in ANY old cars) and before she could shut her mouth, she said, "Did you take it?")

Here's a pic of the cars in question:
    [​IMG]

and a generic photo of a stock F-1 in condition probably pretty similar to what he's got:
    [​IMG]

2. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

3. Take the F-1, I had one and loved it.

4. James427

James427
    BANNED

Either way, it seems the running panel will be easier to sell than the two non-running chebbies. So, how can you lose?

5. I'd trade! At least you can drive the panel. I'm sure you could make some changes to the panel that would make it worth more money,if you decided to sell it...

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

In a heart beat.

7. Wikster

Wikster
    from Phoenix

Panel truck = cool...do it. if you have to sell later it will be much easier...these cars may sit around.

8. pretty hard to turn down a panel.

9. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Panel trucks are f'n cool!
    How is the condition of it?Has it been up in the rust belt area all its life?Those panels can get pretty pricey to restore considering the area you are in-good luck trying to find a parts truck up that way.Im not trying to be a d!@% but just keep your options open.I've been on those 2 hour rides to look at a vehicle that had 2 small holes in the floor only to find out there is no floor to even save/work with.

10. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah... the moire I think about it, the more it seems like a no-brainer. Damn. Now I just have to wait for him to get back home! Aggghhh!

11. Personally I'd take the F-1 Panel, I'm sorry I ever sold my F-100. But I have certain motives for wanting something like a panel truck other then them just being cool.

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah, I figured I'd get him to send me some pics, but running and driving and rusty sure beasts non-running and non-driving and rusty. I figure something I can roll in and beat on while I restore and rod my Essex would sure beat the hell out of being jealous of everyone who has a running hot rod and custom while I just have a pile of rusty parts.

13. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

You should take the deal and then tell your wife at least I got rid of one car and got 500.00 bucks out of it. Just my 2 cents.

14. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

thats a hard decision to make but trading two non-runners for one runner that you actually like and a couple bucks doesnt sound to bad at all.

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmmmmmmmm...a RUNNING truck for two NON-RUNNING cars (projects, with a long way to go...!!!) and $500.00 CASH... well, that's a no-brainer to me...

R-

16. Drive that panel first. Your idea of "running and driving" may be very different than his.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Take the Panel, had one should have kept it.

18. a good solid panel truck isn't too easy to come by, also the same is for parts......but all that aside i'd take the panel.

19. Gigantor

Gigantor

I got the guy on the phone and asked him to tell me more about the truck's condition. He mentioned a few sheet metal (rust) issues, and the need for a new passenger side window. He says it is subframed, a late 70's Camaro apparently donated the 305 and disc brakes, as well as the rear end. It has a new GM wiring harness and a new windshield as well. He says it has bucket seats he doesn't know the origin of.
    He said he could get me pictures either Tuesday or Wednesday, so I should see the extent of the "sheetmetal work" he mentioned.
    Crossing my fingers. Thanks for the info and opinions. I'm going to root through my Sacramento Vintage Ford for parts and availability of patch panels, glass, etc. I appreciate the head's up on parts scarcity. Still, a running driving panel would go a long way to fixing my jones for a vintage ride until my car is on the road.

20. Do it! Do it! Everyone's right... it's easier to sell a running panel truck than two non- runners. If your wife is up in arms over this, have her read this thread.... At least you asked around for advice (and asked her) before you made a decision right?

21. Gigantor

Gigantor

And a fellow female's opinion makes all the difference sometimes, right?! You're going to make some man very happy, and a lot of others very jealous.

22. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I'd test drive the panel and see that it does run and drive,if so, I'd be tradin.

23. That is does!! If she ever needs to vent about your auto fiascoes have her jump on and PM me.... I have saved many relationships for my shop buddies and guy pals! :D

PS- I hope you're right.... Do you think I'll ever find a man that will let me have half the garage/shop? LOL I know it's a lot to ask...... :p

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you want to trade 2 of the most beautiful cars ever made for one old truck?

got any gold you want to trade for copper?:D

25. Gigantor

Gigantor

I was sure you'd find this eventually! Yeah, I know, they are magnificent to behold ... but gold they're not. Someone with a bigger shop and deeper pockets than I can make them shine, and copper always looked better on me than gold anyway!:D

26. RodStRace

RodStRace

Trade after you drive. That is all.

27. id do it in a blink

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my opinion may be slightly biased.

29. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

You actually let the man leave!!!

If his panel is in half way decent shape it would be a done deal for me.

You say you need to run power and need the cash. I cant imagine those 2 Chevys are going to bring you a life changing amount of money so do the trade..enjoy the panel while you finish it..The panel is way cooler than those 2 Chevys..(sorry:() My opinion. If money is tight as it sounds then why keep rusty projects around that may never get done when you can at least be enjoying something else and having some fun now. How many cool cars rotted away while the owner "is going to restore it someday". Get the panel and go cruise! My .2 cents

30. 6tall

6tall