Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looks like I'm getting a 59' Elky!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Kiss my ass, hate you.....congrats.

2. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Really nice! Just about the only body style of El Camino that I ever liked and I LOVE them! I'd love to have one some day. Great score!

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Thanks for all the encouragment, going to get the cashiers check in the morning and to get the car after work. Gonna take it over to a buddy garage and do a little work to it, then take it to the shop and put a quieter exhaust on it. Then I should be rollin' all over Raleigh while I keep plugging away at it!

4. If it was DirtyT's you better make sure there is no shady work on it like John's Merc. Hopefully he didn't do much of the work on it.

5. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I hope DirtyT didn't see the bus... :rolleyes:

6. Dirt Diggler

Dirt Diggler

if you need some ideas, check this out

http://www.nostalgic.net/arc/3d/

but if it were mine, I would go for the bellflower lowrider look. I get boners when I think of supremes & metal flake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I know a guy who built one and he welded the tailgate shut and used passenger car tail lights on it. Looked pretty slick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

good score. i got one i've had for about 23 years.by far the most fun car i've ever had,BY FAR :D:p:cool:

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, I bought one the same color the day my first born was born. One of the more enjoyable vehicles I have ever owned.

10. Bman416

Bman416

Great score man. That has got to be my favorite year El Camino. Very hard to find these days. None of my buddies seem to like them, along with my wife. I've loved them since I was a kid. I say fuck 'em-El Camino's are awesome!

Brian

11. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I am insanely jealous! I fell in love with these things after eye-fucking the green on green flaked one pictured above in Vegas this year. Definitely on the to-do list, though that list is a mile long!

12. autobilly

autobilly

Kool ute, there's plenty of potential there! I too have always been a fan of these, such extravagant late '5o's styling and proportions coupled with practicality.

13. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'm thinking Rashy has one of those as well. Nice toy and could be a fun ride!

14. bryan6902

bryan6902

I like those one's too! Nice score! My wife's in the same boat as yours, she calls them molester cars!:confused:

15. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I almost bought that car from Boomer In Waterford Michigan prior Dirty buying it. I was going to drive it back to cal at the end of my vacation but couldnt see buy a car with that much rot. I wish I did but glad I didnt!!! (have to many cars as is) It still looks good hope you get it!!

16. That green one reigns supreme...wish that was taking up a stall in my garage...beautiful

17. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

It's mine now!

tomorrow and clean all the leaves and shit off of it and see about the lack of tail/brake lights as well as the dash lights. We pulled the sheet of plywood out of the bed and it's suprising solid underneath! The top panel of the bed floor is missing, but the panel underneath and the storage compartment are probaly %95 solid. The side trim was shaved with only filler (that's now lifting) so it'll be easy for me to go back to proper sidetrim again, the bottoms of the front fenders felt solid.
    It drove pretty well, transmission still seems a little iffy, but it shifted fine manually. The exhaust is so fucking loud I can't hear what the trans is doing. That should get dealt with this weekend though. The power steering works better than any old car I've ever driven and the brakes worked well with the dual chamber master. The car came with a set of skirts, but I doubt I'll end up running them. So far I'm very pleased with my purchase, this thing is gonna be BITCHIN! [​IMG]

I forgot the camera so no pictures right now. I'll take some tomorrow after I clean it up a bit.

18. Good luck with the Elky Switchblade!
    I did the same thing with mine. Nice, clean look.

Attached Files:

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

El-CA-MEE-NO!

Good luck!

20. Cruiser

Cruiser

A very cool score looks like it's in very good shape. A good '59 EL Cami no is hard too come by these days. Usually they are beat to hell with more rust then good medal. Good luck with the ride it's very cool............

CRUISER :cool:

21. sled

sled

Well done,Switchblade,CONGRATS from Mexico...love that thing and i especially dig the louverd hood...same as many here a 59 Elky (ONLY) is on top of my personal rides...have seen few down here but too beaten up,so i'm waitin for the right one...Have fun with yours...
    PS.the link is killer,falled in love with the black on with red scallops..that will do for me!! sled

22. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Well, did a little work tonight, ripped the bed cover off, yanked out the angel hair & back panel, got the tail lights & brake lights working, and vacuumed the cab quick like as well as sucked all the crud out of the bed. So far there are a few rust issues, but nothing I consider to be all that bad considering where the car is from and the rust issues the model is known for. I'll post a few pics later.

23. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Here's some more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

That was Dirty T's alright.

Cool thing is you can do a search of his posts and see some of the trials and tribulations he went through... :D

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Lake pipes gone... new exhaust happens today, using some mandrel bends and Red Hots...:D

There are some questionable rust repairs. Well not really repairs, more like "let's put some metal here so the rust has something new to eat up":eek:

26. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Yeah you ain't lyin. Most of them in our area are either one with the Earth and unfixable, or big $$.

27. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

Exhaust got done today, or at least as done as it can get for the time being. Changed the oil, got another modulator valve to stick on but never got around to changing it. I'll change the valve out tomorrow and Zman should finish putting the carb back together and we can see how it runs/sounds with some of the problems fixed.
    Yesterday I came to the realization that I can't bring the car home at it's current ride height, it'd NEVER make it in the driveway! So now I gotta figure out how to bag it without breaking the bank!