Register now to get rid of these ads!

honeycomb 'glass flooring..whatsitcalled???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Oct 4, 2008.

1. slepe67

slepe67

SEARCH complete, eyes crossed..I found a few POSSIBLE pics of the stuff, but no nomenclature. I was at my local shop today, and he showed me a 'glass T bucket with a full fiberglass floor. The floor is a honeycomb material, about 1/2 inch thick or so, and hard as a rock. Any ideas on what it is called? Another guy did the work, and he THOUGHT it is called Dyna_______?

I have a 'glass 32 roadster, and the floor is kinda thin, and i would like to beef it up. This seems likely the best approach. It apparently comes in rolls, and is pretty flexible. I assume you lay down your matting, and glass it in? Anyone have any knowledge of this stuff? Just trying to get a leg up, so when it's time to get to work, I have a slight clue.
    Thanks in advance

2. Take a picture and post it, you'll get a lot better response.

3. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

what you are looking for is core mat. This will help stiffen the floor in the 32. If you are going to add this, scuff up your fiberglass with some 36 grit sand paper, wet out some chop stran fiberglass mat, next wet out the core mat, both sides. You should use a fiberglass roller to get all the air out on all the plys. Next wet out two more plys of glass and that should be pretty good.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is solid sheets of honeycomb material it is most likely surplus aircraft material. Material like that is used for the cabin floors of commercial aircraft.

5. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

I think Mr 48 is right.
    I have heard that Boeng aircraft in Washington state has a surplus store and you can buy that stuff there. It is very strong. The stuff I have used is kind of green in color. Very strong and light.

6. spooler41

spooler41

I used to find fiberglass and aluim. honeycomb at Boeing surplus,in Kent,Wa.
    Boeing closed their surplus store at the end of 2007. I think some large lot items and large machinery may be avaliable on line.

JACK

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Aluminum,Kevlar,or fiberglass honeycomb?

I have a couple pieces of scrap I got from work,aluminum honeycomb,it is referred to as "wet area floor panel",used in galley areas and entry ways.
    I can check afterwhile and find a manufacturer name and part #,if you need it.

I had the guy figure out what a "drop" this size,(2ftX3ft),would cost if you had to buy it.

GULP! about 120 bucks!

8. slepe67

slepe67

ouch! Yeah, I'm going to go back this after noon and ask again. Supposedly the boss is going to be in today, and knows what it is called. I'll post as much info as I can when I get back, thanks for the help.

9. storm king

storm king

I don't believe I've ever hear a pre-fabbed alumium honeycomb panel called 'core mat', but if you are looking for a place to get nice pre fabricated panels for jobs like this, Joel or Jeremy at AVT in Indianapolis can hook you up. They are great guys who sell all the good aerospace materials in small quantities for guys like you at a reasonable price. www.avtcomposites.com
    Oh, they just call them pre fabricated flat panels. Look under core materials.

10. It's not core mat. Core mat is used to strengthen fiberglass panels but comes in a roll like most other fiberglass, woven roving, Kevlar and carbon fiber. Follow the other suggestions in the surplus aircraft direction.
    If it does come the other way, I must have missed in in 45 years in the business! ! !

11. DeV8eD

DeV8eD
    from Kent UK