Register now to get rid of these ads!

350/700r4/quick change

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chambies, Oct 4, 2008.

1. chambies

chambies
    from ca

350/700r4/quick change: would this be a good drive line set up for a daily driver? Why or why not? Other options? I value your opinions, and I know... hot rods have three pedals. Thanks.

2. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Not neccessary to run a quickchange with an OD tranny, unless you're wanting to run some real steep gears...which won't work well with the steep first gear of a 700R4 anyways.

3. chambies

chambies
    from ca

What would be an ideal set up? A th350 to a quick change? 700r4 with 8 or 9" rear? Anyone know a typical AT with a quick change? or do people only run manuals with QC?

4. 3Mike6

3Mike6

What are you after? I/e race car, street car...how much power do you have and what type of car?
    What's "ideal" for me, may not apply to you.

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Why run a quickchange if your never going to change the spur gears. If you've got an extra $2-3000 laying around to throw away put it into something that will make your car better not just noisier. Run a 9" and put a fake Q-change cover on the back. That way you can be a badass and smart all at the same time.:eek::)

Frank

6. de-generator

de-generator

I have a q/c under the '56 and it is great . aod trans, small block ford . What is it going in ? Are you going to use a spool , locker , or some other diff. ? What type of rear end ? Frankland , Super max, scp ?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  7. Blu Bro

Blu Bro
    from Dixie

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Like everyone else has said, what are you trying to accomplish with this car. What kind of motor/HP/Torque are you planing to run as a "daily driver".

I would prefer (and have) a C4. Easy build will allow 450HP, serious and you run over 700HP, the trans is small, has the least parasitic drag.............and tough. Then put the quick change behind that and you can have any combo of gears you want, for the hiway, street, or dragstrip. One last thing about the quick change............don't get a V8 type quick change as they are pretty weak if you have any HP at all.............go with the Champ which has the 10" ring gear.
    But if you just want a daily driver with mostly stock motor then put in an OD trans with 9" Ford.

IMHO

Attached Files:

• coup.jpg
      coup.jpg
      File size:
      105.6 KB
      Views:
  9. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

I really like my 700r4 and 3.41 gears for a daily driver, not the fastest but it makes a nice cruiser.

10. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

I like my 400 sbc 700r4 3.42 8.5 10 bolt in my daily

11. chambies

chambies
    from ca

Thanks for all the good info guys. I have a 30 coupe that will be going on 32 rails. I like the lakes style coupes, chopped and louvered. I thought that the QC would go with that theme. I wont be doing any racing, just driving and lots of it. I have a 350 motor with a mild cam and camel hump heads. Not sure of the HP. I also have a 46 banjo rear that came with the car with and open conversion. I just thought that I could get a QC center section and run it. Have not looked into different brands. I just wanted to get some ideas so I dont wast a lot of money on something I dont need or want. It sounds like everyone does it a little different. If anyone has more info or driveline setups that works good for them I would love to hear it. Thanks.