Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Thanks, I'm aware of hoseheads and racinjunk etc. I used them to sell my contemperary race cars and parts but what I was looking for is somewere that was all about the vintage stuff. Maybe we should start one LOL!! I'm sure lots of us out here are buying and selling to fuel our projects-Tom;)

2. rootbrothers spl.

rootbrothers spl.
    from indiana

Had a great time at Winchester, Met lots of interesting people and made a some new friends. The photo opertunity was great Thanks Josh And Thanks Gene!:D

3. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Racinfool..Might try some of the vintage race clubs likeWRA. They may have forums/classifieds.

4. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

I really had a great time at Winchester. Talked to some of the greats of sprint car and midget racing. Really a great show, hope it returns for next year.

[​IMG]

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Steve E... Welcome! My dad and I talked to for a bit. We were the guys with the Blue Nance that never got unloaded.

Your car was probably my favorite there! Whats funny is I was trying to track you down a couple of years ago! I lived in Lindenwald, Hamilton and had someone tell me about an enclosed trailer sitting in a fenced in lot that had an old USAC sprint car in it... Well, I went there, asked around Hamilton and after a lot of digging I got a name... Estes. But thats all the further I got and the trailer disapered not long after. Oh well, better late than never!

That car is one of, if not the best UNRESTORED examples of that era of Open wheel racing I have ever seen. I know your wanting to sell it, But you should make the new owner SWEAR and sign there life away to NOT RESTORE IT!!

THERE ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!

Thanks for posting. I'm sure you'll enjoy this place!

Joshua Shaw

6. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Actually, I'd rather sell this one. This is an ex Jack Steck car that Tony Stewart ran for him. Jack got the car from Kears after Rick was done with it. A great price on the car for the history it has. Ready to fire up and run with a strong Gaerte in it.

[​IMG]

We are moving and can only take one with us.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Start of a AAA sprint car heat race at Dayton Speedway in 1950. Photo by Ray Peterson, from the collection of Skip Peterson...

[​IMG]

8. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Thanks Josh, I enjoyed talking to you guys. The #54 car wasn't the prettiest there, but it is absolutely the way it came off the track, paint chips and all. Nothing has ever been touched other than keeping it lubed and a change of oil and replacing a couple of lines. The rr asphalt tire still has the last date it ran stamped on it as you had to race with the same tires you qualified on, so it has the USAC stamp on it.
    That old Nance was also a neat looking piece. Did you find the history on it?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  9. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

From all I heard at the prelimiary meetings and Saturday/Sunday at the--- Winchester Old Timers Renunion --- there WILL be another meet next year. SteveE, thanks for the tip on the Weld wheel. Dave W.

10. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

You're welcome Dave, you have something rare there. By the way, stay away from those pig farms, one of them might fall in love (lol)/ jk. Great to see you up and around and in good health Dave, always enjoy talking to you. I was hunting for the picture of the Dreyer you ran with USAC in the 60's, I'll find it this week sometime.

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yeah.. When we found it, it was in pieces, and our original plans were to cut the cage off. But then after researching it a bit, we found out it was a local Lawrenceburg car tha "Wild Bill" Owens drove. It never won much, but raced regularly at the Burg and Bloomington. So.. we decided to leave it alone.

It fired my old man up that Ronnie Hart mentioned his dad found that car. :cool:

We were at the Lawernceburg Points Banquet the year I won the Championship. One of the corner flagmen was asking me what I was going to do know that I was retiring from racing and I told him "work on old race cars" Then he said, "I know where there's an old sprint car sitting behind a house in Ind" That was how it went down..

JD

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Here are some Detail shots of the Walker car. Thought you guys might enjoy them.

JD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hows this for "era correct" 1935 U.S. Nickle :D:D:D

[​IMG]

13. Russ Gaylord Fontana

Russ Gaylord Fontana
    from Home

Thanks Josh, it all looks great and puts my car to shame....
    All I want from Father Christmas is a new nose, new headers and a roll bar!!!!

14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Thanks for the roll bar pick. That is a very clean way to do it. My mount will have to be on an angle instead of level, but I still think it will work.

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I appreciate your updates and really hope to see much more, I'm quite interested in your project.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Superb craftsmanship. You da man!

I plan to come down to the Bowling Green Goodguys event later this month? Will you be there? I'll be passing thru Cinncy from Michigan and would love to see your stuff in person. Maybe I can get some ideas for my "Duesy" champ car replica.

Greg

17. Graham08

Graham08

Can someone fill me in on the superstition behind welding a nickel in the top of the back bumper stub on a sprint car?

I've seen it done, owned a few bumpers with it done, thought about doing it myself on the next one I build, but I don't know the story why...

18. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

19. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

Sure was nice to meet everyone at Winchester Sat... Enjoyed all the conversation and then some.

Thanks Josh, for letting me join in on the fire up on Mr. Walker's car. Fiddlin' in a Stromberg on a flathead on a Saturday afternoon is just so relaxing... And at Winchester no less!

Carl

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's a link, from the RFTP site, to a bunch of pics of last weekends KARS vintage event in Wichita. Anyone have more Winchester pics? http://www.digitalmemoriesbyblair.com/ click on the 81 Speedway 9-28-08 album.

21. racer5c

racer5c

third pic standing on the left you do know who that is don't you??? Hint he is a former Indy winner

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

I was told (by those that I have asked) that the nickel was to plug the hole, so the upright tube wouldn't fill up with dirt. Welding it on (in?) head up was for luck. Kind of like, don't wear green, car # 13 is unlucky, don't have a car number that reads the same upside down and the myriad other race superstitions (not knockin' any of them here).

23. Probably the size of the nickel had a lot to do with it. They were everywhere then too.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That would be Johnn-i-e Parsons.

25. Offy

Offy

A nickel is the cheapest plug available and found in nearly every pocket. It can be used with steel or stainless and will not rust.

26. QueenCityMotorsports.com

QueenCityMotorsports.com
    from Cincinnati

27. Graham08

Graham08

Got it. Don't forget that peanut shells are unlucky, too. Won't allow them around my car. I always plug that tube (or have a loop over the top of it), but I didn't get the significance of the nickel.

Thanks.

28. cars5752

cars5752

Just wanted to say what a great event Winchester was for me. It was nice meeting Josh. What awesome work you folks do on your cars. I had the red midget with the white #5. Hats of to those who were in charge and anyone involved with giving us the priviledge to display and run our old cars. Does anyone know if photo's are posted on any website? I saw a lot of cameras. The youtube video was great. Hope it all happens next year again. ---- Dave Hatcher

29. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Nickle heads up = race car heads up! :D

JD

30. 8889coupe

8889coupe

Re: VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1969 and older only please.
    <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>Yeah.. When we found it, it was in pieces, and our original plans were to cut the cage off. But then after researching it a bit, we found out it was a local Lawrenceburg car tha "Wild Bill" Owens drove. It never won much, but raced regularly at the Burg and Bloomington. So.. we decided to leave it alone.

It fired my old man up that Ronnie Hart mentioned his dad found that car. :cool:

We were at the Lawernceburg Points Banquet the year I won the Championship. One of the corner flagmen was asking me what I was going to do know that I was retiring from racing and I told him "work on old race cars" Then he said, "I know where there's an old sprint car sitting behind a house in Ind" That was how it went down..

Hey Josh I dont know where you heard i said my dad found that car, because i never said such thing, all I said was my dad went and bought some parts quick change parts from the guy who had the car, It seems like i cant even open my mouth without somebody getting pissed off, If your dad has a problem with me just say something i dont want you guys mad at me, i appreciate all the help you two have given me, after my dad passed you guys lettered my car and that still means alot to me.