Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Question for '52-'54 Ford Car Owners...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Creepy Jack, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Brake lines: Does the REALLY long, front-to-rear line mount on the inside or the outside of the frame rails?

It would appear that it's meant to mount on the outside, because there are holes for the clips that secure the line to the rail, but this seems somewhat unsafe.

There are a couple of the same holes on the inside of the rails, too, but not enough of them. Plus, there are crossmembers and such under the car, which would make snaking the line up to the front difficult at best.

I've looked at my manual, but it just has a drawing of the lines themselves, sans any body or chassis references.

FWIW, I did a search and found nothing, both here and on google. So if the search police would stand down, that would be awesome. :D:D:D

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

2. As I remember they are on the outside of the frame,,,HRP

3. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Thanks, HRP!! It just seems kind of unnatural, you know? The line is just sort of shoved in between the body and frame at the front and the rear. Lots of opportunity for rubbing...

Anyone else?

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The lines on my '54 are on the inside along the frame held on by clips,and run down the drivers' side.That being said don't use the old brake lines you would be surprised the amount of crud built up in them after almost 60 years stuff you don't want in your system when you rebuild or replace wheel cylinders,when I did my '54 I replaced everything and added a dual master cyl.

5. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Fuel and brake lines run along outside of chasis. Pulled and manually rebuild mine from tubing at o'reilly. buy a simple tube cutter and flaring tool too. I've got some pics and post later. You'll have to bend the tubing without kinking the line and trial and error fitting for getting between the body and frame. If you don't have the clips, shop at home depot for some cable clamps in the electrical dept. and get some hex bolts to screw the line tight to the chasis rail.

6. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Thanks JeffB2 and greasemunkey!! When my ex wife bought this car in '02 or '03 (it's all a blur), I replaced all the lines with stainless from Inline Tube, including the flex lines. I also rebuilt the brakes, replacing all the wheel cylinders and springs. Proof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both of those photos were taken within the last week or so. Next up is a manual dual drum/drum master meant for a '67 Mustang.

I just got this car back from my friend scootermcrad's garage, where he graciously stored it for me after the city told me it had to move. So I'm working on getting it running, titled, and registered so I can cheese off the neighbor that called the city on me and my lowly '52. :D:D

7. mark53

mark53
    from NEW YORK

on my 53 they are on the outside keep up the good work people are always in a hurry to get the preety stuff done and think of the important stuff (brakes ,steering ) later

8. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Thanks, Mark!! The plan is to get the brakes sorted, make sure the steering and front suspension is OK for the time being (just needs to make it to and from the DMV/AAA safely), then patch the floors, and finally, wiring and engine. I figure three or four months working on it steadily, plus my other irregular duties on other folks' projects, and it should be running and driving.

Once I get it titled and registered, I'll lower it, French the headlights, rebuild the front end, and do a few other things to it. I'm doing the minimum work to it for now; just safety stuff. I don't want to have a lot of time, effort, and money tied up in it in case I have any trouble getting it titled and registered with the gestapo. :D

9. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

I said I'd post picks of what and how I re-did mine. Better late than never.

I used 3/8 tubing. It's a bit of a pain getting some of the bends right, but none the less, saved a buck or two and I'm not disappoined in the look.

Careful not to bend the tube too much, kinks in the line suck and the tubing will break in the corners of the pinched line. There are a couple ways to avoid the kinks, filling the tube with sand or water, but then you'll have to cap the line. I used the grooves in some old glass insulators off of the telephone lines, I found near the railroad tracks by my folks ranch. You can also get tube bending tools at your local parts store, too.

Good luck.

Attached Files:

10. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

Thanks greasemunkey!! A perfect set of pictures to answer the question.

I haven't touched it. I've had a lot of other stuff going on for the past week or so. Shortly, though...