Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Purple people eater?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stone, Sep 29, 2008.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Hey Axle !!

Maybe contact Zombie about an exhibition Run at the next Drag Fest in Bakersfield !!

would be a good place to Lean it over a Lil & see how it feels.

Just a thought :cool:

2. I'll bet the guys that hate this car the most, just wish they thought of building one first. No matter what you do, you always have to have some prick nay-saying your every move. It's always the assholes that never do anything themselves, just tell everyone else how to do it. I'm sure when he built this car safety was number one priority, just like the drag cars in the old days. Jeez, give me a break with all this safety, crybaby shit. You could build your hotrod as "SAFE" as you possibly can, and some drunk guy driving a bus could run a red light and kill you and your whole family. Take a chance, safety pussies.

3. skunx1964

skunx1964

does it have rear suspension? or hard mounted rearend?

4. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

I remember reading somewhere that the rear is welded directly to the frame.

5. Any way you cut it. The Purple People Eater is part of Hot Rodding history now and forever.

6. skunx1964

skunx1964

thats what i thought too, so no chance of it hookin real well. more or less just for fun.

7. ratster

ratster

one of my favs... don't ever change it

8. skunx1964

skunx1964

okay, off the subject but still sorta on it: whats the name of the green bubbletop in the shifters? or the name of the builder so i can do a good search? thanx

9. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Anthony/brown neck bandido

10. really?

11. skunx1964

skunx1964

12. Yep.

13. OLLIN

OLLIN

That was like 8 years ago..It does now.

There has been a few cars that Ive seen directly inspired by it. Including one in the last rod and custom.

14. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

nice...

15. LongFord

LongFord
    BANNED

hmm..well yeah i do hate you ...

16. tough

tougher

BrandonB likes this.
  17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wasn't saying anything bad about the car, I was saying most cars that are true rat rods are kind of thrown together, with whatever,this car has a lot of work into it,therefor it can't be a rat rod. I was saying that it's a car that rat fink would love though. just because it's nuts,and totally useles,and completly bad ass. who cars if it's that driveable, it's the ultimate hot rod.
    sorry to jump on you,it just aggrevates me when there is a thread about a really cool rod,and someone starts talking about safety. thats all you hear from everyone nowadays is make everything safer and safer. pretty soon they will want everyone to drive cars that are a giant plastic bubble or something.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  18. Dude, I'm not gonna screw this guy's thread up argueing with a Falcon guy. I like the Purple People Eater and I respect the Shifters. I just get tired of people balling about shit being too unsafe, and then preaching "traditional" in the same breath. I wasn't even talking to you anyway.

19. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

go drive your totally safe with 12 airbags prius.[/quote]

Hey "Lostforawhile",

Thats a pretty Crafty Blow to Ricky seeing's your whole profile is about a "RatRod" Honda !!

He'll be right behind you in His Stroked 347 inch S/B Ford powered Ranchero Ready to blow you off the road when ya decide to come out to Sunny SoCal in that shitbox Honda you speak of.

Ricky has built alot of Cool shit for people & Painted some very Cool Custom's & Chopper stuff.

Very talented Guy Ricky is... What have you done other than Run Yer Yap & Fuck around buildin RATROD Jap cars ?

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Well, Im talkin to you .... He speaks the Truth..

I Like Markys Car for what it is & the Fact its got Mucho Pontiac Power:D.

But you really need to actually see what ricky was talking about before you act the "On Line Tough Guy".

I know ALL the Old Shifters & they are a Cool bunch.

I also know it would Suck Much for Marky to fall into the Drive Shaft do'in a Top Fuel Burnout !!

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Hey "Lostforawhile",

Thats a pretty Crafty Blow to Ricky seeing's your whole profile is about a "RatRod" Honda !!

He'll be right behind you in His Stroked 347 inch S/B Ford powered Ranchero Ready to blow you off the road when ya decide to come out to Sunny SoCal in that shitbox Honda you speak of.

Ricky has built alot of Cool shit for people & Painted some very Cool Custom's & Chopper stuff.

Very talented Guy Ricky is... What have you done other than Run Yer Yap & Fuck around buildin RATROD Jap cars ?[/quote]I didn't say he didn't have cool cars, I know he does,and sorry to jump on him, I do apoligize for that,but this car is one of the most out of the box cars i've ever seen and it's nothing to do with safety. the car is awesome, lets not derail the thread with too much off topic. and as far as safetry in my "shitbox" i don't have airbags,or antilock brakes or any of that stuff eithier, all i have is seatbelts. and enough sense to look out for idiot drivers. if someone hits me talking on a cell phone, i'm pretty much dead so i'm in the same boat as the rest of you guys. and my car is not a dam rat rod, I've put a lot of work into it making it into a good car, it's not some piece of shit with parts falling off. I sent him an apology and I didn't mean to jump on him so quick,

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  22. Hey man, I not trying to be a tough guy, and I wasn't taking a personal jab at anyone. It seems to me anytime someone actually posts something cool on here, someone has to come along and not agree with something about it, because of something reguarding safety. Taking a piss is not safe enough nowadays. Yeah, if Marky fell into the driveshaft, that would not be cool, but that would be his perogative right? I'm sure he's not forcing people to ride with him. I'm sorry it just gets old.

23. Stone

Stone

Guys can we please leave personal attacks out of this and return the subject at hand?

24. VanHorton

VanHorton

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thats better.

26. axle

axle
    from Drag City

When my brothers car made the cover of Rod & Custom it was technically half finished. A year or two later he took the 55 Pontiac rear out ,installed a 57 Pontiac rear and designed a functional horizontal spring/shock suspension. A year after that a complete rebuilt steering set up was installed. last year he designed and made a custom adapter to mount the early Pontiac engine to a late model GM powerglide . My point is this, the car is getting closer and closer to being as safe as safe can get. The cockpit area needs attention,battery box/hold down,drive shaft loop,redoing the floor,etc. and at that time it might be close to making an exhibition pass somewhere. It has indeed taken a long time to get it to this state,but there has been a lot going on in Marks life - building other cars for people,customizing/chopping tops on customers cars,working on other personal projects,etc , not to mention the cost factors with today's economy . Ricky Ranchero, i don't take anything you stated personal and actually find that a lot of what you said makes sense.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

That's one of R&C best covers......ever.....Love that issue. PPE is the reason.

28. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I totally agree with RickyRacer. I want to see Marky elevate this to the next level. Make it a fully functional street/strip car.

Make it safe.

Put seats in it and enclose the driveshaft.

Then shut up the nay-sayers and put the hot rod world on its collective ear. Again.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This car still has the ability to get people talking all these years later... Pretty incredible. Not many cars in history have made a splash like the PPE.

My thoughts? I agree with Ricky and DeSoto... It's an art car.

30. 3blapcam

3blapcam

I totally believed your first post! And, then you crushed my dreams just after that! My day is ruined! I too would love to see this car in person... and guess it's going to require my ass getting out to Cali to do so!

Love the car. It's good to scare the general public with such wicked creations... it keeps them in check.