Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Purple people eater?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stone, Sep 29, 2008.

1. McKee

McKee

It looks like a lifesized HotWheel!

Attached Files:

2. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I fell in love with that car the first time I laid my eyes on it! The only thing that would make it even better. Figure out a cooling system so he could drive it instead of trailering it.

3. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Its utterly impractical...that's for sure.
    It CERTAINLY looks like its missing the giant Rat Fink sticking out of the roof.
    Like a Characture of a hot rod.
    It WAS built by the principles of 60's drag cars: no radiator, outrageous engine angle/size, body an afterthought, spindle mounts, nothing unnecessary, ultra-lightened frame.
    I always liked it. Its sick...Probably the single worst street car you could build ever, in any way. Never seen a time slip, keep hearing it won't pass tech, and I certainly don't doubt that. It is not too hard to get a car up to snuff to pass tech, but, perhaps the obvious deviations from "period" that would be required for that, are off-putting to the owner/builder.
    If that's the case, I can dig it...

Still like to see a pass, though...
    Oh, yeah, and if it was built today half the people on here would be making fun of it, calling it a ridiculous "rat rod"...

I bet it was fun to build!

4. senior fried

senior fried

Here it is ready for the Day of the Drags....

Attached Files:

5. erock805

erock805

I watched a show on it. Cant remember what it was on. Maybe one of Evels vids...But the owner took the journalist to the grocery store, and jack in the crack. Must be alcohol.

6. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

heres the store about it in garage http://www.garagemagazine.com/?p=321

7. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

there was a post a few years ago where it was said it was being updated to make some passes on the track. People were speculating what it would run... would it hook up... blah blah blah.

I hope it eventually does see the track. I bet it runs in the 11s.

8. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

It was in the last issue of Garage as well.....where they drove it through a fast food drive thru.....hahaha! I'd have loved to see that!
    Wild car man.

Von Franco demonstrates airbrushing a Monster T-shirt of the Purple People Eater in the MFS "I was a teenage Monster shirt painter".....awesome DVD for anyone who digs Roth history and monster stuff.:D

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This is indeed brother Marky's car. I can still remember going to the Bakersfield March Meet with him about 10 years ago and meeting two guys who had the engine sitting in the back of their pick up. They lived in northern California but ironically were originally from Riverside California - where we both grew up. My entire family being long time Pontiac buffs - this was meant to be !

History - the engine powered a rail job with some sort of altered body on it, and from 1959-1961 it held the track record at Riverside for the fastest Blown on Gas - turning times of 150 MPH.
    When ever we can, we frequent Pontiac national drag and car meets all over the U.S.,and so far, have found that Marky has the earliest blown Pontiac engine that exist's today. It started life as a 1956 316 cubic inch engine. Its approx. cubic inch is 450. It has ported and polished 1957 Pontiac heads with custom made valves and aftermarket rocker arms. The rocker arm studs have had pins drilled in to them. a CT stroker crankshaft,early production Mickey Thompson aluminum rods,Venolia forged pistons,roller cam, 671 Don Hampton blower, 8 strombergs (until recently the car was running lean ! ) Vertex magneto,zoomie headers,etc,etc. The trans was originally a B & M Hydro but now a built 2 speed aluminum Powerglide with custom made adapter is attached to the engine. The rear is a 1957 Pontiac with 4.11 locker.

Over the years there's been so many people that have said "ya can't do this" - "ya can't do that" , "He shouldn't do this - "He shouldn't do that" . If we never followed our dreams and always listened to what others say RocknRoll or Hot Rodding wouldn't exit today ! I don't know.Has it achieved any racing records ? no. Will it ever? no. Should the racing community put the car on status with guys like Fabian Valdez,Tom Branch and the B.B. crew? - no, but i think it does have some place in history when we all look back 20 years from now. Being some serious race only car wasn't the intent of this project, and i think some people might be misunderstanding this point.

My brother wanted to build something different than the rest of our club members, and also build something different than what anyone else was doing - at the time.
    Its not a street car,not a full on Tech approved drag car,not a full on show car, but its Marky's car and after all these years he's still havin fun with it. ;)

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I've been in to drag racing my entire life (well, street racing too :) ) and i bet that guess is close. But you can bet it'll be smokin the tires 3/4 of the way down the track.

11. drunkrock

drunkrock
    from Long Beach

I have always liked this car, so what if its impractible. Its a bad machine and if it ever runs on the track i would like to be there to witness it.

12. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I've seen the car at alxe's shows at the raxx in riverside, Its hard to out shine the music, but even in the dark this car brings out the kid in you. I mean who owns a car that the engine is bigger than the body. :)

13. skunx1964

skunx1964

axle, thanx for postin, that things badass:D

14. VanHorton

VanHorton

Awesome car... does anyone have any shots from the inside lookin out of this thing? cant imagine what it must be like to drive it...

15. when i was a kid, before someone had actually shown me a picture of a hot rod i reckon this is what i would have drawn...i did draw it recently and its my avatar...over here we have this brown stuff in a jar that you spread on your toast, its called marmite, the advert on the TV thrives on the fact that people either love it or hate...The PPE is a bit like marmite...i for one love it (fucking hate marmite though)

16. OLLIN

OLLIN

[​IMG]

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I'm picturing easing into it... 2.0+ 60' times then laying the hammer down. It'll run a safe ET with an big top end (something like 11.50s at 130 or so mph.)

I would love to see it make a pass or two down the track. I'm sure all of us would.

18. Stone

Stone

Axle, thanks. Thats the kind of info I wanted to hear about it. I personally love it when someone builds something for themselves.

19. VanHorton

VanHorton

thanks ollin, that is pretty bad ass

20. 55chieftain

55chieftain

So is the only antifreeze whats in the engine with no other reservoir? I see instead of the coolant tubes from each head to the cover you have a coolant elbow with a radiator cap on it. What stroke crank and what was the final overbore?

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

in the words of George Carlan "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT!!! " If there ever was a car that screamed hot wheels, that's it. the old time hot wheels cars, the one that always had the cartoonish looking proportioned body and an engine big enough to reverse the earths rotation. back when they were cool. :D that thing looks like someone blew one up life size.

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

It couldn't be a rat rod,it's got too much work into it, you can't just throw together a car like this. it may be a "rat fink" rod, Ed Roth would fall in love with it the second he saw it. some one artistic needs to draw a rat fink driving it though. Only a few cars are worthy of that and this is one of them.

23. pecker head

pecker head

So its gonna be at Little River Academy this year ?

24. senior fried

senior fried

No ,I had that photo and posted it for fun. Would be nice if he did bring it , those guys are from Cali.

25. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I get it...I understand what it is.
    But, really, a lot of other folks wouldn't...not now. Its too "trendy" to spoof peoples cars now. In a very real way, this car was responsible for the return of the "cartoonish" proportions, based on the 60's drag cars.
    I can remember one magazine, I forget which one, basically calling it "negligent" and "dangerous" or something to that effect.
    A lot of folks scoffed...I thought it was cool. Over the top, but a cool build, just for the sake of building something.

My point is, nowadays, its become very popular to criticize any "radical" car as a "rat rod".

I like radical.
    Many folks just cry "rat rod", now at anything......double standard, though, when it comes to this car.
    I think that people should remember that this, is, in fact supposed to be fun...this is a fun car.

26. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

too many people build cars to please other people and what a message board says is cool. Im glad some people dont get it, there arent too many who have the balls and self confidence to build something different without regard to what others think.

27. The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf
    from Malta

Hooooooly Testicle Tuesday!!!!
    Baddest Rod ever.period

Imho as always.

28. Sonny Depalma

Sonny Depalma
    Member Emeritus

I always dug the shit otta that car heres my tribute

Attached Files:

29. I know i'll catch hell for this but....
    How cool is it gonna be when he pulls it into a show & someone gets hurt? I mean, the body ain't bolted down, theres no seats, somehow he balances himself on the framerail to putt it into the shows. one of my friends took the burnout video posted, & that had a seriously bad ending, I think maybe stiches were involved. i remember the first time i saw that thing at the shifter party in paso years ago, fucken bad ass underconstruction. Unfortunately it hasn't progressed too much further. The quality of the shifters cars has gone way up over the years, you guys have some bad ass cars now, push your homie to take the PPE to the next level! Hope you all don't hate me too much.
    Rick

30. Stone

Stone

Thanks for the link. Great article. The belt buckle thing at the carwash confused me though.