Register now to get rid of these ads!

Story writters of the H.A.M.B.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Who else is doing, or has done, automobile stories or even tech articles of the hot rod nature.
    I know C9 has turned out some wonderfully entertaining stories the past few years and we have some great technical article "answer men" out there.
    Tell us who you are!
    Be proud of yourself, tell us what you got, what you write best about.

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I've scratched out a few- look at the new R&C Barris article for a recent sample- more on the way where that came from ;) Jim Aust (just JimA on the HAMB)

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I've always wanted to for a mag, just never turned out! (so far :D )

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DUDE, you have GOT to check out 40StudeDudes books!! Get all three, do it now. They started off as the friday night read here on the H.A.M.B. and ended up in this awesome series of books.

What are ya' doin? Why aren't you ordering them already?? Sheesh!
    Doc.

5. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Don't forget the middleman ;) great stories- everyone!

6. Kurt

Kurt

Germ. No wait he was more of a poet than a story writter.

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I always stop in my tracks, when I read something by Kiwi Kev or Royalshifter.

8. PG

PG

You know I've been wondering the same deal. I read a lot on hear, post very little, but have always wondered where in the line up of books in bookstores and whatever are the stories told of hot rodding or garages. seriously.

I am a writer, not a good one at that, but I do write. Short stories and poetry are mostly what I've written so far. No collected works, just a bunch of papers tossed together to look good in a big stack ya know?

I will take your advice Doc. These better be some damn good books.

9. LabRat

LabRat

Ummm.... Its tech week ! the thread is at the top , even has a sticky .

10. boldventure

boldventure

I've written some stories, mostly autobiographical.
    My Dad told stories. He usually told them with pretty much the same "facts" each time so I always figured they might be true.
    In another thread folks were talking about learning to drive, I did a fairly long piece on my one adventure in Dad's '64 Bel Air.
    When I get wound up telling a story I can sometimes tell I'm loosing my audience, when I'm writing it I can put in all the details. Kinda fun!
    One of my favorite writers is Peter Egan.

11. Fat Hack is a great writer, but he doesn't post a lot of it.

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

I haven't dipped into writing stories or articles except what has been posted on forums, but my day job for the past 11 years is technical writing for repair manuals.
    Please, no stone throwing. I know that "to install, reverse removal procedure" is not what you want, but sometimes that's all the OE gives you. There are constant time and money constraints, and there is a LOT that is corrected before it reaches print.

13. boldventure

boldventure

So...tell me more about 40StudeDude.
    3 books you say?
    Where do you get these books?

14. Tony

Tony

Absolutely!
    Great read's..i kinda miss having him do them on here.
    I have one of his books as well...very cool and worth having for sure!

15. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

Here..... Great reads, from 40studedude,
    what cha waiting for, order all 3..:D
    Roach

Coming:
    "Recollections, Regrets & Random Acts"

'Hot rod heros' were young, they have stories, too.

Order: Bangin' Gears & Bustin' Heads,
    Fast Cars, 4-speeds & Fist-fights
    www.RAJetter.com

Hammer to Fit, Paint to Match!

16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Guess I missed this last nite while I was working on my Caddy...but I found it now...

Thanx, DocWatson and Tony...and I've got to hand kudos to JimA as well, if it wasn't for him, the books prolly would have never happened.

Stories of the early 1960's in the midwest, and the crazy things "we" did...and got away with in a car...excerpts on my website.

All three are available from my web site (below), or you can order them from major bookstores and/or Amazon.com.

R-

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

Does unpublished fiction count? I've got a few stories going and have got one that I think would make a fantastic childrens/young adult book... I've even started some illustrations for it. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to devote more time to it. God knows it would beat the hell out of my day job.

18. boldventure

boldventure

Thanks!
    I thought for a minute after I posted the query then searched the members list (duh). Still goin' off half-cocked...:rolleyes:

19. PDQ VW

PDQ VW
    from Canada

Is there a "Writer's group pf Hamb" social group here??

20. boldventure

boldventure

Not so far. I just looked over the list and I didn't see one.

21. tooslow54

tooslow54

I'm the publisher of a o/t (muscle cars) drag racing mag, FSC. I've written a few "tech" pieces in there over the years, although my main job is to get $$. Also did some basic automotive tech for a diagnostics company's website.

22. I was an editor for Truckin Magazine back in the late 70's/early 80's. I have also done articles for Custom Classic Trucks, Hot Bike, and Street Chopper. Writing one for Baggers magazine right now, in fact should be working on that and not doing this :rolleyes:

23. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Are you working with Jeff Holt???

24. My life is a story 24-7!!!! We just haven't figured out if it's a comedy or drama !!!! I have been told I could be a millonare if I was to have a dude with a camera follow me around for a week >>>>.

25. Yep, the big MoFo hisself

26. PDQ VW

PDQ VW
    from Canada

There should be one!:)

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I was the tech editor of Mopar Muscle for four years, Editor for a year, then was a tech editor for all of Buckaroo's magazines for 4 years. Left and did marketing for YearOne for three years (did a lot of tech and feature stories for them), now I'm self-employed as a freelance writer and photographer since about April.

In my spare time I promote a swap meet the first Sunday of every month, and I've partnered with Rich Venza to put together an indoor show this March for traditional hot rods and race cars--The Atlanta Race and Rod-A-Rama.
    And Car Tech approached me about writing a book on LS Stoker engines, so since I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm doing it. It's supposed to be turned in at the end of February. I figure it's warm-up for two other traditional engine books I have outlines for, and a Shop Design/Construction book.

If you've always wanted to write, the best suggestion I have for you is to do it. Don't talk about it, don't think about it, just get a computer, a desk and sit down and do it. The difference between a writer and someone who wants to be a writer is forward progress.

-Brad

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Exactly Brad...and not just once in a while either...daily, every week, month, and twice on Sundays. There are plenty of websites that accept stories, and some will even pay if you're good enuff. But the only way you get good enuff, is write, write, write...writing IS a job...

I have two 90,000 plus word thriller stories in the works...I work on both everyday and one of these days, when it's as good as a Michael Crichton, Tom Clancey or Clive Cussler story, an agent is going to grab it...

R-

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You and me both bud, you and me both.:D

I write Big Olds adventure stories for the HAMB. Doesn't pay very well but it makes me happy.;)