Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECHish TRIVIA: What the HELL Is This?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Oct 1, 2008.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

HINT: Crosley

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I believe that is called a vacuum signal amplifier off a british austin from the 50's.

3. A real McCoy? A Marvel Mystery Oiler? Resembles propane conversion stuff.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

It looks to me like a propane conversion device. I have seen similar back when I was a young LP delivery dude. I converted several of our delivery trucks to LP with a more sophisticated device. This is so simple I would guess it was for use on a stationary equipment thing, think pump, generator, etc.

5. Rickdef17

Rickdef17

It looks like the Constant Velocity carb on my scooter

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

It was on eBay with this description:

Very rare Vitameter injector, do an internet search for this and you’ll see what it is!
    For a vintage race car, Crosley powered, although I am sure it would fit a Stromberg on a salt flat lakester, or a vintage Hi-Boy.

I searched and came up with:

The Vitameter automatically supplies Vitane, a properly balanced fluid containing alcohol, water and tetraethyl lead, to the carburetor air inlet where it combines with the gasoline mixture only when needed to prevent detonation, pre-ignition and consequent knocking. Thus engines which can run without this objectionable knocking or pinging on a fuel of a given octane rating can also function perfectly with sub-octane rated fuels. In practice the Vitameter raises the effective octane rating of any gasoline with which it may be used by at least ten octane numbers.

The Vitameter now makes it possible to step up the compression ratio to a new and startling high of 10:1 (plus or minus for production tolerances). Without the Vitameter this compression ratio, even in the Crosley engine, would require gasoline with an octane rating close to 100, which, of course, is not available to the average motorist, if available to any.

Thanks to the Vitameter, Crosley is now making available in a certain model or models this 10:1 compression ratio in combination with the Vitameter and the use of Vitane.

The Vitameter has been designed by Thompson Products, Inc, Vitameter Division, for the Crosley 10:1 compression ratio Quicksilver engine and is exclusively distributed by Crosley Motors, Inc.

The Crosley 10:1 compression ratio Quicksilver engine gives additional horsepower, better hill climbing, higher speed, and, at any given speed, greater economy in spite of the additional cost of the Vitane fluid.

The Vitameter makes possible the souping up of the Crosley engine for racing purposes without the use of special or sometimes illegal fuels.

Crosley Motors Inc
    2530 Spring Grove Avenue
    Cincinnati, Ohio

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well...first Crosley fours were military generator motors, weren't they?? But I think gas powered.

8. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That's a pretty nifty piece of equipment.

9. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Damn, I guess I'm wrong in thinking I had just seen my first Conutin Valve. It would though be a cool poiece of memorbilia to have.

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Sweet, so it ouputs precise amounts of Vitameatavegamin. I like it.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

Hey, thanks! Oh, you meant the Vitameter...nevermind.

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

13. So I wonder if he got it from "Lucy" then?

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"...and it tastes good too"

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

16. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

17. Whatever it is, it is going to look just dashing with those black socks & your wife's sunglasses.

JH

18. INXS

INXS

Didn't Lucy and Ethel get involved in some hairbrained scheme to sell those?

19. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

I knew I had seen them advertised in early hot rod mags, just could not remember what they were called.

20. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

:DI got your Vitameter right here!

21. i figgered it was just another real ugly pair of vitage shades but if it puts vita in yer meter ... well wear protection at that copmression ratio.. please did ya buy it ? and now the price of that old crap just skyrocketed!
    spose you have a warehouse full of these now just like your old midget seats ...

22. JWW

JWW
    from Wisconsin

It looks like the fuel injection for a telefunkin U-47.
    Probably from a Filmore.

J

23. Webley-Vickers hotchkiss reciprocating force pump. Or an unattended good vibe stand-up free heater with a smoke window. Mr. Haney used to sell 'em to fit on Hoyt-Clagwell tractors.:rolleyes:

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

True.

25. Vita what? Looks like one of them fancy marijuana smoking devices to me!!!
    Damn Hippies STAY OFF THE GRASS!!!

26. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Iffen it was on egay, how much did it sell for?

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

About $65

28. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

ditto:)

29. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Sure looks like a gaffenator valve to me.

30. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Very early Mass Airflow Sensor for prototype Electronic Fuel Injection system. They scrapped the system when they went from 6v to 12v electric systems.

-Brad