Register now to get rid of these ads!

My son doesn't like cars, but my daughter does?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Heavy, Sep 9, 2008.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

my daughter(9) has claimed my camaro.and has talked about her driving my ford after im gone.she helps some and i take her to cruise nights shows.out of the blue she will ask to ride in the old car..doesnt matter boy/girl as long as they like cars ..everything will be cool

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Kids now adays are more interested in how fast their computer is and not their car.
    I must say, its a much cheaper alternative. Boring but cheap.
    Your son at 16 will go through a social stage as we all did.
    He'll come around I bet. Just ask him for help and make him believe you actually need it. My daughter loves cars too. But of couse buying her a 68 stang at 16 helped. :)

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grandpa? Is that you?

Doc.:p

4. skwurl

skwurl

Heres some pics of my duaghter. She wa 3 at the time. She still likes to help Ol dad out 3 years later.

Attached Files:

5. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

Sounds like a good Country song

6. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

hahahhahaha thats pretty funny

7. Pscott

Pscott

That's always been my theory too. You can't explain it or predict it, any more than you can explain why some people become liberals, conservatives, religious zealots, etc. Not that I'm saying car guys are kooks! Although, we probably seem that way to non-car people.

8. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

As a kid i Never went to a car show.. It wasnt until i was maybe 13 or 14... some kids just dont care.. if he doesnt ask to go to the shows dont force it it will then become a chore. Id say, when u have one comming up run it past him .. if he doesnt express intrest then go without him...

9. CruZer

CruZer

Same thing with me. My son went to all the car shows with me and helped on my cars until he went to college. Now he has a family of his own and drives VW's. He maintains them well but isn't interested in old cars at all.
    My daughter on the other hand went to the TyRods reunion with me and sat at the gate all day because "she loves watching the cars in motion".
    Now she's bugging her husband to get an old truck and "fix it up". She never showed any interest in my hotrods when she was growing up but she does now ! Hey, life is a funny thing. Enjoy it.
    Glenn.

10. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters...out of the bunch, I am the only one that has a love for cars. It is great to just walk around junk yards looking for "treasures". It could be just a needed part or just snaping pictures, hell my boyfriend could have taken me there for our first date! Speaking of my boyfriend. He wowed to say the least, because he does not have to hear me "jaw jack" about being bored when we go to the races, a car show, or just to the shop to work on a car...hell I am begging him to go to events or to just let me get dirty with him!

11. skwurl

skwurl

My wife is the same way. Matter of fact one of our first dates was to a junkyard

12. Being an only child (and a daughter) to a dad who has forever been into cars, I wasn't really "interested" in cars until later in life. I did help him in the garage but never really retained any knowledge. Some but not all. I enjoyed every minute of it though.

As for the comment towards the beginning of the thread re: the girl getting better guys because she's into cars....fat chance sometimes. In my town, when I talk about cars to guys they get scared and run. It's as if they can't be with a chick who is into a "guys" hobby. I just figure they're idiots and aren't worth my time anyway. :rolleyes:

If it's a boy or a girl, if they're into the cars or not, does really even matter as long as they aren't out causing chaos and mayhem and getting in real trouble with the law.
    I came around eventually and maybe they will too. Sometimes they get burnt out on the car shows and such but when they see it around later in life, that's when they say "Hey that's a cool car! I wanna build one!" And that's when the fun really begins! :D

13. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Let him be him. He's not you, he's going to be different than you, and he's going to be his own person. There is this conception that a kid is going to grow up how we want them to - it just ain't so. Engage him in whatever he's going thru and you'll be further ahead. And here you have a daughter that IS into it, and you're still worried about your son? Why, because she doesn't have a penis. Drop the men are from mars, women from venus mentality, and get greasy with the girl, and let your son find his own way. You and them both will be happier in the long run.

On a similar note, the one day I was in the garage working on my one bike, and my daughter of 2 years comes in picks up some of my wrenches, watches me a little, and I lose track of her. Here she is sitting off to the side, turning a nut on the stud with the wrench - right size. And she loves blocks and legos - am I going to encourage that? - HELL YEAH.

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

be patient. i wasn't really into them either after i left home. then, in my early 30s, i began to see the light again. does he get to drive your stuff? that is what really did it for me. sitting behind the wheel of the '54, blipping the throttle and hearing the pipes crackle, or sitting low in the t-bird, top down, hand on the wheel as it floats down the road. these feelings are irresistable, and addictive.

15. Oh I told my dad his 40 Ford Sedan that I helped him with when I was young will be mine. And so will his 52 Ford and his 27 T Roadster too!!:D

16. Slide

Slide

I've always given my family the option of doing the car stuff with me. They are welcome to come out to the garage or to go to the car shows, or they can do their own thing. I promised myself while my wife was pregnant with our first that I wouldn't push the car thing on any child of mine. I'll certainly encourage any interest they show on their own, but I know if I push too hard, it'll take the fun out of it for all of us.

17. patman

patman

My son wasn't interested, but here's my daughter taking off the intake manifold before I pulled the engine a couple of weeks ago :):):)

[​IMG]

18. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

My daughter is about to turn 8. She started learning how to weld at 6. She taps threads for me without having to ask which thread and knows the difference. There is a passenger seat in my tube chassis car just for the kids. My son is six and he does love cars but she has shown the interest in "why" is it fast and "how" to do the work on them.

19. skwurl

skwurl

Thats awesome. My girl is 6 and I'm trying to let her do mre. She's into it she's just to litlle, she'38 lbs!

20. 1Bad67

1Bad67

My daughter just went to the track with me last weekend as my pit crew. She loved it, and she's only 13.
    But she loves racing too. Everyone who sees this picture thinks it's my son, until I tell them it's my daughter.
    My son likes cars, but not enough to get involved in working on them.
    [​IMG]

21. I have a buddy who has two small daughters. One drags around a Barby doll the other a die cast model of the Elenore Mustang from "Gone in 60 Seconds." The funny thing is, he likes cars but he isn't what I'd call a car guy. He just laughs and says, "That's my boy." :p

Just be glad your girl is into it. Teach her and appreciate the fact that someday she'll be the coolest mom on the block. Don't give up on your boy though. Teenage boy's tend to lose focus on anything that isn't right in front of them and lets face it, once they walk out your garage door they ain't going to see another hot rod until they walk back in it. In a world of import, rice burner fart bombs; hot rodding just isn't a natural part of teenage boy's lives the way it used to be. He may never get it, who knows? How ever much we might like to think it is, hot rodding isn't strictly a guy thing. Neither, just because he is a guy, should you assume your boy will be into hot rods. It's the same with me and sports. I just don't get it :confused::confused::confused: but, it don't mean I'm any less a real man.

22. HotRodderDaughter

HotRodderDaughter
    from San Diego

I'm an only child and I've been going to hot rod shows since birth. just bc she's a girl don't underestimate her love for hot rods/ spending time w her Daddy! :)

23. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My 7 yr old is gonna help me make sheetmetal trunk floors tonight.....

24. Friends have a much greater influence than parents do regarding what interests a kid. Just my opinion.

25. shadams

shadams

Growing up I was all about fixing my cars up, adding stereo's etc. I learned a ton and couldnt waint for my three brothers (10, 14 and 16 years younger than me) to start driving so I could teach them what I know. Now they are 24, 19 and 17 and could care less about cars. Pisses me off.

26. ChefMike

ChefMike

My daughter is very much a car nut my nephew rather play video games ! So your not alone !!!

27. 53Heavy, I was just like your son until a few years after I lost my dad. I was given my 65 barracuda and started looking around on the internet and then it all turned around. My dad use to take me to all kinds of shows and swaps. I kick myself now for not learning more from him. I also waited until 18 to get my license. All is not lost. As him for help and trick him into getting involved. That was one piece of advise my dad never took from my mom. He was not about to force me to do anything I didn't want to do. Truth is I needed the push and thought I was in the way.

28. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Its not about who has the coolest car anymore, its about who can score the best weed! Duh!

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An ancient thread but this time around it is brought back to life by the right person for the right reason.

My daughter went to her first car show when she was five weeks old. She still likes cars and Last summer she drove us over the pass to Billetproof and the whole family had a ball that day.

30. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Not sure of his skill level skating wise, but skateboarding is a all time consuming sport if you want to progress. It's a lot more challenging and abusive to the body than many team sports and the good about skating is you are only as good as you push yourself since it's a individual sport. I can see not having a buddy in the garage can suck, my old man got out of cars and I do know how you feel, but cherish that daughter of yours and teach her instead. Gender has nothing to do with it in my opinion, it's about the memories as corny as that may sound, also the cars of course... :)

Edit: My niece (11 years old) of all members of my family keeps bugging me to build her a old car so when she turns 16, she has a killer ride, but she has $$$ taste and it's truly her taste. She is into all the big custom sleds that are chopped, sectioned and all that good stuff and I'm piss poor at the moment...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012