Register now to get rid of these ads!

Further Inpiration: Aircraft Panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2008.

1. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

You'd be suprised at how many pilot's and copilots don't know what they all do!!!!!

2. autobilly

autobilly

All very interesting and totally necessary in planes. But way to over the top for any usefull inspiration to me.

3. Moonglow

Moonglow

Great post. Beautiful pics and terrific inspiration.

4. autobilly

autobilly

Bumpstick, kool pic. of the B17 nose gunner's "office". I've never been inside one of these planes, but have always been interested.

5. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

It gets in your blood.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can anyone tell me what the technical name is for the diamond stitched interior insulation is called and/or where something like that could be purchased??

Great pictures!!!

8. sadayo

sadayo

MUST HAVE! I've got a Hudson Super Jet that's rusting away. With the powerplant and interior gone, I'm thinking it's the perfect candidate for a custom. I've been brainstorming how to play up the aircraft theme. So far, I'm thinking bomber seats, rip stop nylon (parachute material) for headliner, and a satin gray and army green paint job, and yoke for steering wheel. Why not rip out the dash while I'm at it? Having earned my pilot's license several years ago, I'm eager to fly low!

9. Or you could do like todays planes. They have 3 tv tubes and they display everything. I imagine, pre 70's planes (little ones) have 12 Volts. Our C-172 did but our '83 C-210 had 24v. All stuff now days have 24v.

10. disok1

disok1

That's great inspiration for mods and could really be useful on the trail too.

11. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Before he left Misery for TexASS, Voneyeball gave me an aircraft panel with all kinds of cool gauges in it. I'm gonna figure out how to use em on my A project.

12. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

True,true.

But most of the backlighting is 5 volts or less.

Lets see......50's Ford instrument panel voltage reducers......

There,I took care of that part,Root.

Start brainstormin'!

13. dehudso

dehudso

P-51 panel from a ride back in June.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

P51? Looks like a Texan T6. P51's only had one set of gauges upfront, their backseat is either a fuel tank or a makeshift seat.

15. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Great stuff, inspirational. Its not just about the guages themselves, but the ergonomics of the workspace. There is somethings about a cockpit that coveys a sense of purpose, as well as demanding that you interact with the machine.

As far as using aviation guages in a car, too hard. I have loomed and installed guages in aircraft and the complexity is considerably greater than an automobile.

I'd be swapping car gauge guts into aircraft units, but getting the overall layout is the important part.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

This thread is awesome!! you can often get aircraft gauges cheap on ebay, you can find them in both 24 volt and 12 volt setups. I work around airplanes every day so i love this stuff.
    before i changed the panel material to leather,
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    everything is functional,the master switch works,the fuel boost switch does what it says,and the anti collision lights switch is for those wingtip markers i have as side markers at the back. the red switch with the safety cover is for my fuel pump primer, having the safety relay causes problems with gas getting to the carb if it sits. thats not an autozone one,thats an old military one. I made the panel out of aluminum and upholstered it in leather. it's 1/8 thick plate

17. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

nice... heres a beechcraft staggerwing (my favorite civilian aicraft) instrument panel. warbird panels are cool, but very utilitarian. high end early clusters were sometimes quite ornate.
    [​IMG]

heres the rest of the plane for those who dont know... warbids are like flying hotrods, these LOOK like flying customs to me.

[​IMG]

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea i love staggerwings

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

heres some of my goodies, I might sell that narco ommninavigator to someone really cheap,if they do an older rod with an aircraft theme. it's a rare piece and it's just sitting on a shelf doing nothing. it would look nice integrated into a dash somehow, maby secret radio controls for a stereo?
    [​IMG]

20. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Here's a few more pictures. In a few weeks I'll be back home and have a chance to take a whole bunch more. These were just ones I had already.

Spitfire

Harvard (Texan)

Tigermoth

Sabre

Attached Files:

21. Moonglow

Moonglow

Here's several I took of the B-24 "The Dragon & His Tail", at an airshow in Knoville, TN a few years ago. I know this is a post devoted to instrument panels, but I thought these other close-ups might give some build inspiration too.

Why I didn't cough up the $250 for to take a ride on this aircraft at the time is still a mystery to me. If I have a second chance, I won't pass it up! My Dad served on a B-24 in WWII.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  22. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Let's see if the ol' eyes can see where you're at in flight..235KIAS, 2500',slight left turn,1000 FPM descent, 350 deg. heading, gear is up, someone pulled 6 G's+ (gasp)! And keep your damn feet off the rudders!:D Agree,looks like a T-6 greenhouse canopy. Hope you had fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/quote]

23. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

OK. I have my private license and so far have only flown Cessna 172's and they have plenty of gauges and indicators to keep a guy busy for a while. I can't imagine figuring out all the crap in a modern Jumbo jet!!! Yikes! :eek:

Back to the topic at hand, I dig the idea of utilitarian clusters of gauges if the rest of the car fits the theme. I say go for it and if someone doesn't like it, they don't have to drive it.

24. dehudso

dehudso

Bill, we were doing 240 KIAS at 220' off the deck down the runway at a local airport.

I'm keeping my feet on the rudders as I damn well please, I was flying it. It's not everyday you get to fly NL251MX. Plus I got to log an hour of mustang time.

[​IMG]

25. FordF1

FordF1
    from Ottawa

Wow, I've never seen a mustang like that. Is that a trainer type?

That's a cool addition to the logbook.

26. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

You had your hands full! Lag on the rate of descent is deceiving. The rudder thing was meant in fun, had so many pas. in the back seat use them for a footrest. My fini flight was in a single seat F-16, nowhere near as much fun as a Mustang!!

[​IMG][/quote]

27. dehudso

dehudso

No harm Bill. I took it as such. It's just with that huge prop spinning out front you need at least your feet on the rudder when trying to snap pics. I think I took over 140 on that hour flight.

And I think that the rate of descent lag can be up to 7 sec. if I remember correct.

28. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here's another piece, I made my choke control for my dual SU's out of a piece from an unnamed prototype aircraft that is being developed right now. the panel was changed and i was able to get this. [​IMG]

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I finished wiring my panel so i got an illumination picture, ended up making my own illumination lamp holders to get the angle right, if you put aircraft stuff in,avoid those dam post lights that come on the panel,they always want to short out, I had to disconnect mine for this picture, no logical reason to short,they just do
    [​IMG]