Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any 1970's Motorcycle Flattrack fans out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderplex, Sep 28, 2008.

1. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Very cool stuff! I am trying to locate my half-sister through all flattrack- speedway info.Her husband (don't recall his name) lived in the Long Beach ,CA area. He raced a speedway bike(I think) I was only 16 at the time. I remember his hauler was a brown van(??) Her name was Vickie or Linda Lee (maiden name) thanks for listening to my ramble... Sparky

2. I spent many a Sunday at the Central Illinois Motorcycle Club as a kid. My favorite sound was a herd of 500 singles anywhere on the track. I remember them doing hillclimbs in the early '70s, and now they're back to doing it again.
    Moffitt, Hooker, Hopper, Dragoo, Meek, Scott, were the last names of some of the racing families there.
    It made me buy a 76 Yamaha XT500 when I turned 16.

3. casper

casper

I started racing flattrack in 1972 on a Suzuki 50cc with a gyt kit installed, my next bike was a Bultaco 250 astro (still have it!), I raced that from 1975 thru 1978 and then I started racing pro speedway for money. I won a lot of races (including an invitational at the San Jose half mile) and had a great time! I subscribed to Cycle news for all that time and could not wait for each new weekly issue. My early heros were Jim Odom and Gary Nixon, but I saw this new kid (in Cycle news) and his pro junior number was 80Y and my amature junior number was 80C, My name is Kenny and his was also and I read that he lived just a couple hours north of me, so from then on.... I was the biggest fan of...Kenny Roberts! There is another super cool guy I used to hang out with at the track in the early 70's who has the best flattrack museum that I have ever seen, his name is Dan Rouit. If you want to see the best collection of flattrackers around, check out this link http://www.vft.org/rouit.html Thanks for bringing up these great memories! Kenny.

Attached Files:

4. WCD

WCD

my next bike was a Bultaco 250 astro ...

Wow, what a jewel that thing is. And to see it simply being stored next to old mini bikes and lawn chairs. You have to bust that thing out and renew your counter steering skills

5. Jay Springsteen was still racing flat track up here a few years ago

6. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Gary was a star when I started riding in the mid 60,s. Sadly, one thing about getting old thats not fun, is seeing your heros passing. You remember when we all were young and riding.