Register now to get rid of these ads!

chrome paints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead ed, Sep 29, 2008.

1. nailhead ed

nailhead ed

anybody out there try any of the eastwood products claiming to be almost as good as chrome

2. M_S

M_S
    from SoCal

I use the same product on some of the R/C car bodies I paint and it comes out beautiful. These bodies are clear Lexan and sprayed from the inside so the layer order is reversed, but it has come out beautiful every time. It does not take much paint and needs to be a thin even coat. I have only tried it with the recommended black undercoat, and you would definitely need to clear over it.

3. oldspwr

oldspwr

I used Alsa's Killer Chrome on a grill shell for my '55 Brockway. We followed the directions right to the letter. It came out exceptional until we put their clear coat on it.

First step applied (BEFORE CLEAR)...

[​IMG]

Second Step applies (AFTER CLEAR) Ugh....

[​IMG]

Once we put the clear on it turned into a dull charcoal color. So I called Alsa to complain and they told me that we put too much 'chrome' on and this was a common problem and received several calls a day about this problem. So then I asked them where did it state this on their directions, in other words, where does it say, "be careful not to over apply the product." I then backed my statement up by stating that the directions say to "apply the product until the desired effect is acquired."

So after all was said and done, they offered to replace the product and would not give me a refund.

Just my experience...

4. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

did u use the spray can?

or mirra chrome?

thats how the stuff is. when i use chrome paints i only apply till i get the effect. i dont use a fullsize gun. a mini jet with a .8 or an lph50 with a .5, of my iwata th fan pattern airbrush, that really helps. we are talking 2 light coats and one wet one. then u come back and wipe it with a microfiber.

the clear is what can kill the chome, alsas is notorious for losing the chrome look with clear. the solvents in the clear dull it out. the chrome is actually micro ground aluminum in a alcohol base.

ive had better luck with motochrome and hok chrome effect. hok ur not supposed to clear for atleast a couple days. then u apply one thin wet even coat over the whole thing and thats it. come back later and scuff and re clear. more coats kill the shine.

its a tricky product that hardly anyone ever gets right the first time. i practiced on small bowling pins shells first. then did a tiki. now i have it done to where it looks pretty good.

check out innate.com they sell the motochrome. they have a new clear just for it that helps to not kill the look. this should help.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008

5. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

It's not paint but eastwoods Almost chrome powder coat is a single stage powder that works pretty good.
    I did these wheels 2 years ago and they still look the same.
    [​IMG]