Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why use air bags? Why not Monroe air shock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wsdad, Sep 26, 2008.

1. skwurl

skwurl

Are you serious? Cos I cant decide if thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard or the funniest.

2. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

:eek:Sure I am serious. Now are you interested in that ocean front property in Kentucky or not ????;)

3. skwurl

skwurl

sold!

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball

I guess i will have to vote for the air shocks,i have been running the same air shocks for the last 5 years on my 35 pickup. i like them, my truck needed about a 2to3 inch lift in the rear to get that stance we are looking for. i keep about 50 lbs in them all the time. my 35 rides as good as my newer Dodge pickup. if and when they fail they will be replaced with the same.Can ya tell i like them?. 8-Ball

5. I know that air shocks from a 67-72 GM truck will put the back bumper of a '66 Riviera 3.5' off the ground and make for some really crazy bouncy bouncing around corners... They were thrown out the back door of a shop a buddy was working at and we had an afternoon to kill back in the 80's.

6. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

What would you think happen if you drill out the hole in the air shock to 1/4' and install a small exspantion tank ? :confused:

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

We did that when I was in High School. '59-'61 that I was driving. As has been pointed out, the shock mounts were not designed to support the weight of the car. Which is what would happen if I pumped them up. Which was why I got them in the first place. But they will tear up your floor if thats where the top is fastened, like mine.

8. Crease

Crease

Im sure it's all been said, but springs/bags support a load and shocks dampen travel.

9. kustombypook

kustombypook

Why are so many people afraid to drive a lowered car? Why do you need to change the ride height? Just lower the damn thing and drive it. It's not as scary as you might think.

10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

"they will ride like a toilet"

haha I dont know why that amuses me so, it just does.who rides toilets?? ha haha

yeh yeh air shocks are stupid blahahahblah...

11. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

...JEEZ.....and some of you people DON'T miss GERM.....:D

! haha!
    he would be a great assest right about now!

12. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Right on...

13. murfman

murfman

yeah, thats pretty much sums it up...

You guys Down under must over indulge from time to time, I've spent many a late night or early morning "Riding the Toilet"

BTW on the subject of toilets, does your toilet flush clockwise or counter clockwise??

14. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

the shock mounts are not designed to carry the load like a spring. i,ve seen more than one 70-81 camaro and firebird with a crack in the roof corner from air shocks. or 55-57 chevys with the trunk floor broken from them.

15. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

isn't the Shockwave something you could use ??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I dig the air shocks...on a '76 Gran Torino with a stripe down the side! :D

17. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I got Airshocks on my 53 merc. Original springs were a bit saggy, so i picked up a set of airshocks to aid it. I love em You can pump em up for long cruises, or let em out for cruisin the main drag. Its about 4 inchs difference.

On my 41 Nash, i got a set of airshocks on it. Itll make up for the lack of springs, plus rake it even more ( frame is Zed 9 inches in the front ) I dont care bout the rough ride. Its a hotrod, and its ment to be driven hard.

18. wsdad

wsdad

Thanks for all the good advice here, guys. This is why I love the HAMB. If I have a bad idea, there are intellegent people who explain why it's a bad idea. Just saying, "It's dumb and your a *&^%$." doesn't exactly help in anyone's design efforts.

I'm going to switch gears here a little bit. At first I asked about putting them in all cars. I thought it would be a good idea for everyone. After reading some of the posts, I can see where most cars were not designed to take all that suspension load at the points where the shocks mount. I can see where they would break things. Especially if they are over inflated and become rock-hard.

But what if I designed a light T-bucket suspension to use them in? I think all the problems mentioned can be worked around if I used them in a T-bucket instead of a heavy 50's car or a muscle car. For instance:

Problem 1:
    When you air them up, they become so hard that they are like a solid rod between the floor mount and the suspension. This causes them to ride like a toilet (That's funny!) and break things.

Solutions:
    Let some air out of them!!!!!!
    Beef up the mounts.
    Use a strong bolt.
    Make sure the bolt is in double shear.
    Make sure your suspension is designed to take all of the car's load at the point the shock is mounted.

Problem 2:
    They bottom out, causing them to break.

Solution:
    Bump stops.
    Add some air!!!!!! It seems as if people are either using them with 0psi or 350psi. There are several points in between a person could select. It doesn't have to be all or nothing

How are load leveler shocks any different than coil-over shocks??? (Except that you can raise and lower them with a flick of a button.)

[​IMG]

19. wsdad

wsdad

I think these are a good idea. I may end up using them. I just thought Monroe air shocks would look more like a traditional shock and cost less.
    How is the mounting and suspension engineering for these shockwaves any different than for coil over shocks or Monroe load leveler shocks? This isn't a retorical question. I really want an answer because I've never used the Monroe's.

20. skwurl

skwurl

Coilover schocks have a coilover spring wrapped around a shock that is designed to support the weight of a car. Thats the difference. My Model A has the oil pan 3 inches if that of ground clearance. Just hammer it and watch where and how you drive. Air shocks are not adjustable suspension.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  21. wsdad

wsdad

I'm not trying to poke fun or argue my point until everyone gives up. I'm sincerely trying to understand everyone's points and get educated by those who know more than I do.

22. mikes51

mikes51

I've never seen that compact looking shockwave pic on the top. That looks like it would bolt right in where your old shock was.

The typical shockwave pic on the bottom is pretty big in diameter, might not fit without hitting something alongside.

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they should work just fine on one of these. built one with a lawnmower engine on it once, it did seem to ride like a toilet. [​IMG]

24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Technically, you are correct. They are not designed to be adjustable suspension. What I am asking is why can't they be used outside of thier official design intentions - Just like GM blowers have been used suscessfully outside of thier official design.

Ummm because if the blower lets go you more than likely will be able to control the vehicle!

Air shocks are not designed to hold the weight of a vehicle. Neither were the mounts. The lines, fittings and other hardware were not designed to take the sustained higher pressures needed to support the weight of the vehicle. Air shocks are much more fragile than an air bag. It will ride like shit. AND IT WILL FAIL.

Used properly there is nothing wrong with airshocks. Used improperly they are a recipe for disaster!

25. skwurl

skwurl

Give it a shot. Whats the worst that could happen. You're only going to be riding around on 4 1/2" steel rods attached to small brackets for mounting points. If youre conscerned about traditional looking, put a straight axle across the front, suicide it and get your desired ride hieght and be done. Bottom line is its dangerous.

26. Frank & Sara

Frank & Sara

Just keep in mind the 7000 and 8000 shockwaves are not made for front suspension or on the rear of heavy vehicles.

I understand what you are after, an adjustable suspension with valves, compressors and switches, but still have a somewhat traditional looking suspension. Right? The rear will probably work fine with your airshocks, however, it will not ride well. The problem is the front. The weight on the front of any vehicle is just too much for any airshock or small shockwave. If a fully adjustable air suspension is not what you are after then stick with buggysprings, coil-overs or coil-springs and a shock.

Driving with a static, 2-inch off the ground chassis, while not being desirable can be done.

Also check out airride technologies aircan covers.

27. mikes51

mikes51

Good suggestion, try it out and then you could make a post about how it worked it on the HAMB. Is that not what Rods and customs are about?

I was talking to someone about how I had to remove leaves from my rear springs. He asked, how did you find out ahead of time how many leaves to take out? Ha Ha, it's all trial and error. Sometimes you have to do the job 2 or 3 times, until you get it right. We are in the hobby of putting together parts that were never designed to fit together. Sometimes you just have to get down and dirty and try it. Just don't test it out on the freeway.

28. wsdad

wsdad

So you're saying the rods and brackets on the shock waves are thicker than on the air shocks. That makes sense. I'll do a little research to see if I can confirm that.

29. I ride a toilet most every day, often several times a day, if I eat Mexican food.

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They are made to support the full weight of the car and not just dampen the suspension. another thing to consider is if someone is putting them in a car and they know what they are doing they will make sure the attachment points are sufficient to carry the load as well.